Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Add Newser to your home screen?
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 290,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Soldier Shot in Search for Bergdahl Dies 10 Years Later
Master Sgt. Mark Allen never recovered from injury
- A soldier shot in the head while searching for Bowe Bergdahl a decade ago has died. Master Sgt. Mark Allen was left paralyzed in much of his body and unable to speak after he was shot during a 2009 insurgent ambush in Afghanistan, CNN reports. The 46-year-old from Loganville, Ga....
Bergdahl Avoids Prison; Trump Calls It a 'Disgrace'
Soldier will get a dishonorable discharge for abandoning his post
- He faced life in prison, but Bowe Bergdahl will serve no jail time at all for abandoning his military post in Afghanistan and endangering the troops sent to search for him. Instead, he will receive a dishonorable discharge, the
New York Times
reports. The military judge in the case also...
Agents: Bergdahl Debriefs Were Intelligence 'Gold Mine'
Soldier charged with desertion helped military better understand insurgents
- Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was a "gold mine" of intelligence, helping the military better understand insurgents and how they imprison the enemy, two agents testified Tuesday as defense attorneys sought to show the soldier's contributions since he was returned in a prisoner swap. The AP reports the testimony...
What Bergdahl Said in His Unexpected Testimony
He took the stand at sentencing hearing Monday
- In an unexpected and emotional statement, Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl apologized in court Monday to all the military personnel who were wounded searching for him and described the daily nightmares and flashbacks to his five years in captivity by Taliban allies he still endures. Bergdahl was the first witness in...
Bergdahl Won't Be Let Off Hook Over Trump's Comments
Judge rules court hasn't been directly affected by Trump's criticism of Bergdahl
- A military judge has rejected arguments by attorneys for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl that criticism by President Trump is preventing him from having a fair sentencing hearing. The AP reports the judge, Army Col. Jeffery Nance, said Monday the court has not been directly affected by Trump's criticism of...
At Bergdahl's Sentencing, Those Forever Harmed by Search to Speak
Sentencing hearing pushed to Wednesday due to lawyer's family emergency
- Can two days feel as excruciatingly long as five years? Ask Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who was supposed to learn his fate on Monday after pleading guilty last week to desertion and misbehavior before the enemy. CNN reports his sentencing hearing has been pushed to Wednesday because of a family emergency...
Bergdahl May Have 'Hopelessly Misread' His Situation
He gave interviews to a journalist who was himself a former Taliban hostage
- On Monday Bowe Bergdahl learns his fate, which will come at the hands of a military judge. Bergdahl pleaded guilty last Monday to desertion and misbehavior before the enemy for walking off his military base in Afghanistan in 2009, and he faces five years for the former and up to...
Bergdahl Pleads Guilty: Will Judge Go Easy?
Army sergeant admits to desertion for walking off base in Afghanistan
- Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl pleaded guilty Monday to desertion and misbehavior before the enemy for walking off his military base in Afghanistan back in 2009. The big question now is how long of a sentence he'll receive. The AP doesn't think his legal team struck a deal to...
Guilty Plea Expected From Bergdahl, No Trial
Army sergeant faces possibility of life in prison
- Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who was held captive by the Taliban for half a decade after abandoning his Afghanistan post, is expected to plead guilty to desertion and misbehavior before the enemy, two individuals with knowledge of the case tell the AP . Bergdahl's decision to plead guilty rather...
Bergdahl's Fate Will Solely Be in Judge's Hands
Chooses to have trial heard by judge alone
- Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has decided to be tried by a judge—not a military jury—on charges that he endangered comrades by walking off his post in Afghanistan. Bergdahl's lawyers told the court in a brief filing last week that their client chose trial by judge alone, rather...
Judge Won't Chuck Bergdahl Case Over Trump's Comments
Trump called him a 'dirty, rotten traitor'
- President Trump's campaign-trail criticism of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, while "problematic," hasn't prevented the soldier from getting a fair trial on charges that he endangered comrades by walking off his post in Afghanistan in 2009, a military judge ruled Friday. Bergdahl's lawyers had argued that...
Bergdahl: I Can't Get a Fair Trial Under Trump
Attorneys file motion to dismiss
- Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl faces an Army court-martial on charges of desertion and misbehavior for allegedly walking out on his post in Afghanistan in 2009, and now that Donald Trump is president, the 30-year-old says he won't get a fair trial. His attorneys filed a motion to dismiss shortly after...
Bergdahl Seeks Pardon Before Trump Presidency
He thanks Obama, asks for clemency
- Bowe Bergdahl doesn't want his case to go to trial under a president who has called him a "no-good traitor who should have been executed." After Donald Trump won the election, the Army sergeant's lawyers asked President Obama for a pre-emptive pardon before Bergdahl's trial...
Documents Give Full Account of Why Bergdahl Walked Off
'It was a self-sacrifice thing'
- Newly released documents provide the most complete account yet of why Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl says he left a post in Afghanistan in 2009: to draw attention to what he saw as bad decisions by officers above him. The documents include a transcript of an interview Bergdahl gave to a...
Bowe Bergdahl Lawyers Want to Talk to Trump
Defense thinks he can't get a fair trial with the candidate talking trash
- Attorneys for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Saturday they may seek a deposition from Donald Trump or call him as a witness, saying they fear his comments could affect their client's right to a fair trial. Bergdahl's attorney Army Lt. Col. Franklin Rosenblatt asked Trump in a letter...
Bowe Bergdahl Diagnosed With Schizophrenia-like Mental Disorder
'The ball was dropped'
- For the first time, we know what "severe mental disease or defect" Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl may have been suffering from when he decided to walk away from an Army base in Afghanistan in 2009, the
reports. The condition is known as schizotypal personality disorder. It's similar...
Bergdahl Heads for General Court-Martial, Could Get Life
Ruling general ignored recommendation Bergdahl go before 'special' military court
- A lawyer for Bowe Bergdahl , the US soldier accused of deserting his Army post in Afghanistan in 2009 before being captured and held by the Taliban for almost five years, says his client will stand trial before a general court-martial, Reuters reports. Despite the advice of a preliminary-hearing officer that...
New Season of
Lands, Starring Bergdahl
Podcast will examine why he left his post in Afghanistan
- The rumors were true : Bowe Bergdahl is the focus of the second season of Sarah Koenig's podcast
, which helped reopen the case of convicted killer Adnan Syed. In the first season, the question was "Did he do it?" This time around, it's "Why did Bergdahl...
House GOP: Bergdahl Prisoner Swap Was Illegal
Report accuses administration of acting recklessly
- The Obama administration broke the law and deceived Congress when it traded five Guantanamo detainees for Taliban captive Bowe Bergdahl last year, according to a House Armed Services Committee report seen by the
New York Times
. The report from the committee's GOP majority, which will...
Donald Trump: We Should Have Executed Bergdahl
'30 years ago, he would have been shot'
- Donald Trump said Thursday that Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl should have been executed for leaving his post in Afghanistan. "We're tired of Sgt. Bergdahl, who's a traitor, a no-good traitor, who should have been executed," the Republican presidential front-runner said to cheers at a rowdy rally...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here Is What's Really Behind the Toilet Paper Shortage
Another CNN Host Has Virus
RFK Granddaughter, Her Son Vanish While Canoeing
Lawsuits Mount Against Popular Hair-Care Line
The Navy Fired Him. His Crew Just Showed How They Feel
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Suggest a Story
Get our apps
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.