Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
ISIS' New Weapon: Water
Oct 7, 2014 5:30 PM CDT
ISIS' New Weapon: Water
Insurgents commandeering precious commodity to strengthen position
- Even when ISIS militants can't maintain control of Iraq's cities and villages, they have another weapon at their disposal: water. The insurgents are increasingly cutting off water to villagers, extorting local governments, and flooding homes, schools, and farms in an effort to gain the upper hand by usurping...
Beef: Meat Industry's
Jul 22, 2014 9:37 AM CDT
Beef: Meat Industry's Worst Eco-Offender
Raising cattle takes up 160 times as much land as plants, study finds
- Think drive-thru cheeseburgers are cheap? Think again. What may be light on the wallet is heavy on the planet, according to a new study on the environmental costs per calorie of beef, pork, poultry, dairy, and eggs—which, combined, make up 96% of the calories Americans get via animal sources....
Big Find Under Kenya:
Rhode Island-Sized Lake
Sep 12, 2013 8:51 AM CDT
Big Find Under Kenya: Rhode Island-Sized Lake
It, along with 2nd aquifer, could supply country for 70 years
- It's another kind of liquid gold: Technology typically used to find oil has instead led scientists to massive lakes, or aquifers, hundreds of feet beneath some of Kenya's driest land. UNESCO yesterday announced that five aquifers were identified and two have thus far been verified in the Turkana...
Loner Author Charts His
Jul 29, 2009 3:46 PM CDT
Loner Author Charts His Own Course
Vollmann's new opus is typical—brilliant, but sometimes unreadable
- Author William T. Vollmann is an odd bird—“a loner, a bit of a recluse,” Charles McGrath writes in the
New York Times
, “and a throwback: a wandering, try-anything writer-journalist in the tradition of Steinbeck or Jack London.” And his new book,
, about Southern California,...
Popular on Newser
Biden Calls Fox Reporter After Hot Mic Insult
Virginia's New Republican Governor Making Waves
After Another Attack, a New Subway Warning
Bataclan Survivor 'Shocked' to Find Out What Her Surgeon Did
Yet Another Big Moment for Jeopardy! Champ
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.