Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
1971 Racist Comments Again Have Airport's Name in Play
John Wayne advocated white supremacy in interview
- "I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility," actor John Wayne said in a 1971 interview. Those views—and quite a few others—are catching up to him. The Democratic Party of Orange County wants Wayne's name removed from the...
John Wayne's Son Defends Dad Over Shocking Interview
Wayne managed to denigrate millions of people in one conversation
- John Wayne's son is crying foul over a call to have his father's name removed from a California airport, CNN reports. Ethan Wayne appeared on
Saturday after an old
interview re-emerged with the iconic actor—who put down blacks, gays, and Native Americans in the same...
'John Wayne Day' Rejected Over Actor's Racist Statements
California legislators couldn't get behind the idea
- What a California lawmaker intended as a benign resolution honoring a late, world-renowned movie icon exploded into an emotional debate over decades-old racist comments, the AP reports. In a 35-20 vote the state Assembly defeated the official ode to John Wayne Thursday after several legislators described statements he made about...
John Wayne Heirs, Duke Fight to Lasso His Nickname
University doesn't want Wayne estate using 'Duke' on its bourbon bottles
- John Wayne’s family and Duke University are riding a litigious path into the sunset. The American icon's heirs have sued the academic institution for the right to market bottles of bourbon using the word "Duke," the late legend’s famous nickname, reports the AP . The bottles...
John Wayne Treasures Ride Off to Auction
Costumes, awards, personal papers for sale in LA
- Saddle up, Pilgrim. A whole passel of personal John Wayne memorabilia is about to hit the auction block in Los Angeles. The Duke's eye patch from his last movie,
as well as the Golden Globe he won for Best Actor in the film will be part of...
Bachmann Mixes Up John Wayne, John Wayne Gacy
Kicks off presidential campaign with historic blunder
- John Wayne once said, "Talk low, talk slow, and don't say too much." It's advice Michele Bachmann might've been wise to heed today. The Tea Party congresswoman kicked off her presidential campaign today in her hometown of Waterloo, Iowa, with an emphasis on her roots....
Apparently 'Flavor Flav' suited William Drayton more
- What if celebrities actually went by their given names? Ross Luippold imagines that alternate universe on the Huffington Post :
: William Drayton just doesn’t have the same ring to it.
: He would be hosting
The Daily Show With Jon Leibowitz
Lawrence Zeiger Live
Clint Eastwood America's Favorite Movie Star
Men prefer Clint, women like Johnny Depp in Harris poll
- Americans love Clint Eastwood—he's the nation's favorite movie star for the fourth time in the annual Harris poll. Eastwood topped the men's list, as well being the favorite of Republicans and Independents. Democrats preferred Denzel Washington, while women liked Johnny Depp. The overall winners, not broken down by gender...
On the Waterfront
Writer Schulberg Dead at 95
- Legendary Hollywood screenwriter Budd Schulberg has died, the
New York Times
reports. He was 95. Schulberg, who won an Oscar for
On the Waterfront
in 1955, was the son of a movie mogul and grew up as a Hollywood insider. His 1941 novel
What Makes Sammy Run?
, a scathing look...
Popular on Newser
Famous Folk Singer Has 'Gone Fishing' for Good
Reporters Ask McConnell: What's Wrong With Your Health?
Suspected Culprit Emerges in Mystery 'Havana Syndrome'
Dr. Fauci Had Doubts on a Mask Mandate. He's Reconsidering
First US Nest of Murder Hornets Found, Thanks to Dental Floss
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.