Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Bill Maher Buys Stake in Mets
Helps favorite team battle through debt
- The Mets have found an unlikely hero: Lifelong fan Bill Maher has snapped up a minority stake in the team as it struggles to overcome its debt . He says he was inspired to make the purchase after reading that the owners were selling a dozen such stakes. "First of...
Mets’ Owners Settle Madoff Case for $162M
Money to come from bosses' payout as Madoff victims
- The New York Mets' owners have avoided a trial over what they knew about Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme by settling today with the trustee for Madoff victims for $162 million, the
New York Times
reports. Trustee Irving Picard had sued Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz for $1 billion (later...
Mets' Owners Won't Lose All Their Madoff Money
Judge gives partial victory to both sides in lawsuit
- The New York Mets' owners may have to return some of $300 million in profits they made dealing with Bernie Madoff, but their $700 million principal is probably safe. A judge has decided that for trustee Irving Picard to pursue the Mets owners' principal investment, he must prove that they...
Mets Owners: We Knew Nothing of Madoff Scam
First angry response to 'clawback' suit
- Though they made millions in profits from Bernard Madoff's phony investment scheme, owners of the Mets knew nothing about the fraud and aren't about to turn over a dime of their money to fleeced investors, they argue in court documents. Lawyers for Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz have filed a...
Mets Owners Made $300M Off Madoff Scheme: Suit
Bosses 'categorically reject' claim
- The New York Mets’ two owners, along with their businesses and families, made some $300 million in fictitious profits from Bernie Madoff’s Ponzi scheme—putting them among its top beneficiaries, says a lawsuit unsealed today. The Mets withdrew some $90 million from the team’s 16 accounts with Madoff,...
Madoff-Burned Owners Must Sell Mets: Author
Mets call remark 'completely irresponsible'
- The Wilpon family will have to sell the New York Mets after losing $700 million to Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme, according to an author who wrote about the money manager. “It's possible they would have to sell by next year,” says Erin Arvedlund, author of
Too Good to
Popular on Newser
Months After Recovery, COVID Survivors Report an Oddity
Cops: Restaurant Owner Went to Extremes to Violate Lockdown
Spy Agency: Kim Is Taking 'Irrational' COVID Measures
Utah Overpass Is a Wild Success
First Visitors Arrive at Utah Monolith
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.