Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 1,681,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 21 - 40 |
Frat Suspended After Blackface Photo Surfaces
Students dressed as gang members on multicultural weekend
- In what critics say was just the latest example of insensitive behavior at California Polytechnic State University, fraternity members dressed up as stereotypical gang members during the college's multicultural weekend—and one student was photographed in blackface. The Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity was quickly placed on interim suspension after...
Frat Chapter at Cornell 'Horrified' Over 'Pig' Sex Game
Zeta Beta Tau members had sex contest based on women's weight
- A Cornell University fraternity chapter that held a sex contest that members dubbed the "Pig Roast" in reference to the weight of the women they slept with has been placed on probation for two years. The university said officials launched an investigation of the Zeta Beta Tau fraternity last...
Judge Bans Frat After Pledge Dies in Hazing
Chun Hsien Deng was killed in 2013
- A judge in Pennsylvania has banned a fraternity from operating in the state for 10 years after the organization was found criminally liable for the death of a pledge four years ago. In December 2013 , Chun Hsien Deng, a student at Baruch College, died after falling unconscious during a hazing...
Frat Party So Off the Hook Even the Air Was Buzzed
Police say air in Maryland fraternity tested positive on Breathalyzer
- We've all heard of a contact high, but a Maryland fraternity's recent "Tequila Tuesday" was so saturated with booze that it raised the possibility of a contact buzz.
reports that when police raided the Sigma Alpha Epsilon party in November, the very air registered a...
Recovered Video Shows Pledge Given 18 Drinks in 82 Minutes
The police were able to recover deleted video related to Tim Piazza's death
- Newly recovered security camera footage from inside a Penn State fraternity house showed a pledge had been given at least 18 drinks in 82 minutes , investigators said Monday in announcing dozens of new charges related to the pledge's death. Centre County District Attorney Stacy Parks Miller charged 10 new...
FSU President Suspends All Fraternities, Sororities
Freshman Andrew Coffey died the morning after a party
- Following the death of a student at a party this past weekend, Florida State University has indefinitely banned all fraternities and sororities. Andrew Coffey, a 20-year-old civil engineering student and Pi Kappa Phi fraternity pledge, was found unresponsive Friday, the morning after a chapter party, and pronounced dead at the...
Frat Pledge Had BAC of 0.495 When He Died. Now 10 Arrested
One of the arrested faces negligent homicide charge in death of Maxwell Gruver
- Ten people were arrested Wednesday on hazing charges in the death of a Louisiana State University fraternity pledge after a night of drinking, the AP reports. One of the 10 suspects—Matthew Naquin, 19—also faces a negligent homicide charge in the death last month of 18-year-old Maxwell Gruver, LSU...
LSU Suspends Frat Pledging After Freshman's Death
Maxwell Gruver died in alleged hazing incident involving alcohol
- Louisiana State University freshman Maxwell Gruver arrived at the Phi Delta Theta house in the hope of being admitted to the fraternity as an official member. Instead, he ended up at the hospital, where he died Thursday morning. Gruver, an 18-year-old pledge from Georgia, had been taken from the fraternity...
Manslaughter, Assault Charges Tossed in Death of Frat Brother
18 members of Penn State fraternity had faced charges in death of Timothy Piazza
- After preliminary hearings that stretched over three months regarding the death of a Penn State fraternity brother , a judge has thrown out the most serious charges against 18 of the deceased's fellow brothers, Penn Live reports. According to WNEP , the judge dismissed all charges of involuntary manslaughter, aggravated assault,...
Pays $1.65M to Settle Rape Story Lawsuit
UVa frat plans to make donation to sex assault prevention
magazine has agreed to pay $1.65 million to settle a defamation lawsuit filed by a University of Virginia fraternity over a debunked story about a gang-rape, the fraternity said Tuesday. The settlement closes the final chapter of a lengthy legal saga sparked by the 2014 story "...
Cop Says Body of Pledge 'Like a Corpse' Before Frat Called 911
Details of Tim Piazza's death at Penn State frat emerge in court hearing
- A detective testifying at a hearing for 18 Penn State fraternity brothers accused in the death of a 19-year-old pledge said Monday the student looked like a corpse in surveillance video from the frat house. "He looked dead, he looked like a corpse," said State College Police Detective...
Frat Members Blamed for Trees Felled in National Forest
It allegedly happened during Pi Kappa Alpha initiation ceremony
- Fraternity members from the California State University's Chico campus are facing federal criminal charges after they allegedly cut down dozens of trees in Lassen National Forest during a camping trip as part of a pledge-initiation ritual, CBS San Francisco reports. Per the
Los Angeles Times
, at least 32 trees...
Frat Pledge Who Died Was Treated Like 'Roadkill,' Say Parents
Jim and Evelyn Piazza speak out on son's death
- A fraternity pledge who was ordered to guzzle alcohol during a hazing ritual and twice fell down a flight of stairs before his death was treated like "roadkill," his father said Monday, days after criminal charges were filed against 18 of his son's Penn State fraternity brothers....
'Sickening' Details of Fraternity Pledge's Final Hours Revealed
Eighteen frat members charged in death of Timothy Piazza
- Eighteen fraternity members have been charged—eight of them with manslaughter—after a 19-year-old died during a pledging party in February at Penn State, the
reports. Video from security cameras inside the Beta Theta Pi frat helped authorities piece together the final hours of Timothy Piazza's life....
Frat Member Faces Jail Over Peanut Butter Stunt
Police charge him with hazing at Central Michigan University
- A Central Michigan University student accused of spreading peanut butter on the face of a passed out teen with a peanut allergy faces jail time over the stunt. Dale Merza, 20, has been charged with misdemeanor hazing and faces up to 93 days in jail and a $1,000 fine...
Frat Pledge Sent Chilling Text Before Death
'They're going to get me f----- up,' wrote Tim Piazza at Penn State
- Penn State sophomore Tim Piazza sent a final text to his girlfriend the night he took a fatal fall at a fraternity house: "They're going to get me f----- up." Piazza's parents tell the
their 19-year-old son sent the message shortly before he headed...
Parents Livid Over Frat's Peanut Butter 'Joke' on Son
Incident at Central Michigan University under investigation
- A student who smeared peanut butter on an unconscious freshman's face calls it "a joke." The freshman's parents call it hazing that could have turned deadly because the 19-year-old has a severe allergy to peanuts. The pictures Teresa Seely posted on Facebook Tuesday show her son...
He Fell During a Frat Party; 12 Hours Later, a Call for Help
Cops investigating death of Penn State student Timothy Piazza
- Timothy Piazza fell down a set of stairs at his Penn State fraternity around 11pm Thursday in the midst of a party. A call for help came 12 hours later. Paramedics found Piazza, 19, unresponsive when they arrived at the Beta Theta Pi fraternity Friday morning. He was pronounced dead...
Frat Initiation Allegedly Includes Drugging, Raping Women
Mizzou frat reportedly gave drugs to pledges to use on women
- A University of Missouri fraternity with a track record of problem behavior has been accused of telling new members to drug women and sexually assault them as part of their initiation, the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
reports. According to the
Columbia Daily Tribune
, multiple people informed the school in August that...
Frat Suspended for 'Grossly Offensive' Email
Richmond punishes Kappa Alphas over party invite
- The University of Richmond has suspended a fraternity for what it says was a "grossly offensive" email inviting students to a Kappa Alpha Order party last Friday, CBS News reports. "Tonight's the type of night that makes fathers afraid to send their daughters away to school" and...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Company to Fiance After Fatal Crash: Hope You 'Cry All Day'
Widower of Scarborough Aide Asks Twitter to Act on Trump
Big Consequences for White Woman Who Called Cops on Black Man
Kevin Hart: I Lied to Doctors After My Crash
Boy Being Followed by Bear: 'This Is So Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.