Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Dec 16, 2021 2:06 AM CST
After Much Drama and Only 13 Games, NFL Coach Fired
Urban Meyer's former team is 2-11, and things might have been even worse off the field
The Jacksonville Jaguars fired Urban Meyer early Thursday, just 13 games (and two wins) into his time as the NFL team's coach. Hours prior to Meyer's termination, a former Jaguars player accused Meyer of kicking him during an August practice, the AP reports. That was just the...
Urban Meyer Abruptly
Dec 4, 2018 2:47 PM CST
Urban Meyer Abruptly Announces Retirement
He will leave Ohio State coaching position after Rose Bowl
- Ohio State coach Urban Meyer abruptly announced his retirement Tuesday, citing health reasons and a difficult year that included a three-game suspension over his handling of domestic violence allegations against a now-fired assistant coach. He will step down after the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1, the AP reports. Meyer is...
'Amid Withering Criticism,'
Urban Meyer Tweets Apology
Aug 25, 2018 5:00 AM CDT
'Amid Withering Criticism,' Urban Meyer Tweets Apology
Suspended Ohio State coach's words directed at Courtney Smith
- Amid withering criticism of his failing to more directly address domestic abuse issues at a news conference earlier this week, suspended Ohio State coach Urban Meyer issued an apology Friday to the ex-wife of a former assistant coach who was suspected of abusing her. Meyer, who is serving a three-game...
Host: That's It,
I'm Done With NFL
Aug 24, 2018 6:25 AM CDT
Female ESPN Host: That's It, I'm Done With NFL
Michelle Beadle says league doesn't care about women
- Michelle Beadle has some more free time on the weekends—and the ESPN pundit says she has the NFL to thank for it. The co-host of the network's
program tweeted an image of a cringing Jerry Seinfeld Wednesday along with the line: "Me, pretending to be...
Ohio State Suspends
Urban Meyer Without Pay
Aug 23, 2018 12:33 AM CDT
Ohio State Suspends Urban Meyer Without Pay
'I followed my heart and not my head'
- Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer has been punished, but not by the firing he could have faced for failing to report domestic violence allegations against former assistant coach Zach Smith. Meyer has been suspended without pay for the first three games of the season and has been banned from...
Urban Meyer Placed on Leave
While Allegations Investigated
Aug 2, 2018 6:47 AM CDT
Urban Meyer Placed on Leave While Allegations Investigated
He may have known about domestic violence accusations involving assistant coach
- One of college football's most successful coaches has been placed on paid leave during the investigation of allegations that could result in his firing. Ohio State says it is looking into claims that Urban Meyer was aware in 2015 of domestic violence allegations involving former assistant coach Zach Smith,...
89 Fires Reported
After Buckeyes' Big Win
Jan 13, 2015 2:23 AM CST
89 Fires Reported After Buckeyes' Big Win
Ohio State opens post-BCS era with 42-20 win
- "This will go down as one of the great stories in college football history," coach Urban Meyer said after the Ohio State Buckeyes won the first College Football Playoff National Championship last night, beating the Oregon Ducks 42-20 in Arlington, Texas. The Buckeyes overcame two injured Heisman contenders...
UF Coach May Have Helped Cover Drive-By for Hernandez
Aug 28, 2013 7:38 AM CDT
UF Coach May Have Helped Cover Drive-By for Hernandez
Urban Meyer also eyed in failed drug tests
- A new investigative report in
reveals that while Urban Meyer was head coach at the University of Florida, Meyer may have helped to cover up a drive-by shooting, an assault, and failed drug tests for Aaron Hernandez . Meyer has long denied that he enabled Hernandez's misbehavior, Fox...
Urban Meyer to
Coach Ohio State
Nov 28, 2011 1:54 PM CST
Urban Meyer to Coach Ohio State
Program may yet face sanctions
- Urban Meyer is returning to coaching, taking over an Ohio State football team that likely faces NCAA sanctions, sources tell ESPN . Meyer has spent the past year as an ESPN analyst, taking a year off coaching for health reasons after winning two national championships with the Florida Gators. He asked...
running a reverse
Dec 27, 2009 3:21 PM CST
Urban Meyer: Never Mind!
Florida football coach will take leave of absence, not resign
- Urban Meyer, who stunned the sports world when he announced yesterday he would step down as Florida football coach, instead will take an indefinite leave of absence. Meyer, 45, cited health concerns in announcing his resignation. He could return to the Gators' helm as soon as next fall, the
Florida Coach Urban Meyer
Will Step Down, Citing Health
college football shocker
Dec 26, 2009 6:32 PM CST
Florida Coach Urban Meyer Will Step Down, Citing Health
Gators leader will stay on through Jan. 1 Sugar Bowl
- Urban Meyer, who coached the University of Florida to two national championships in 5 years at the helm, will step down after the Gators take on Cincinnati in the Jan. 1 Sugar Bowl. Meyer, 45, cited health concerns in announcing his resignation; he was hospitalized after suffering chest pains following...
Belichick Ties Strong
in Florida-Bama Tilt
BATTLE OF COLLEGE UNBEATENS
Dec 5, 2009 9:08 AM CST
Belichick Ties Strong in Florida-Bama Tilt
Coaches Meyer, Saban have deep ties to Patriots guru
- Though he won’t be on the sidelines again until tomorrow, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick holds the common thread in today’s matchup between college football’s top-ranked. Urban Meyer and No. 1 Florida meet Nick Saban and No. 2 Alabama—both unbeaten—for the Southeastern Conference title...
Popular on Newser
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Howard Stern Selects His Presidential Running Mate
Kaitlin Armstrong Was Trying to Build New Life in Costa Rica
In Clarence Thomas Opinion, Line About COVID Vaccine, Cells From 'Aborted Children'
Allegations of Witness Tampering Gain Traction
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.