Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
He Died in 1984 Avalanche.
His Body Was Just Found
Aug 16, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
He Died in 1984 Avalanche. His Body Was Just Found
Body of Indian soldier Chandrashekhar Harbola found in ruined shelter on Siachen Glacier
- An Indian soldier who disappeared in an avalanche in the Himalayas almost 40 yers ago will finally be laid to rest. The body of Chandrashekhar Harbola was discovered Saturday on the Siachen Glacier along the India-Pakistan border, a disputed area the two countries have been fighting to control since 1984....
Everest Ice: 2K Years
to Form, 25 to Melt
Feb 4, 2022 10:52 AM CST
Everest Ice: 2K Years to Form, 25 to Melt
Study documents rapid retreat of glacier
- The ice atop Mount Everest took roughly 2,000 years to form and about 25 years to melt, according to a new study, which suggests that even one of the highest glaciers on the planet is retreating as a result of climate change. Researchers traveled to the highest glacier on...
Himalayas Melting Has
Dec 20, 2021 2:54 PM CST
Himalayas Melting Has Massively Accelerated
Glaciers are declining at an 'exceptional' rate, researchers say
- Glaciers are shrinking in many parts of the world but in the Himalayas, where the ice loss will affect hundreds of millions, they're melting at an "exceptional" rate, researchers say. University of Leeds glaciologist Jonathan Carrivick says a study that involved analyzing satellite photos of more than 15,...
Massive Rescue Underway
After India Glacier Tragedy
Feb 7, 2021 7:58 AM CST
Massive Rescue Underway After India Glacier Tragedy
At least 9 were killed and 140 were missing Sunday
- Indian authorities launched a search operation Sunday after part of a mountain glacier broke, sending a massive flood of water and debris slamming into two dams and damaging a number of homes, per the AP . At least nine people were killed and 140 were missing. The flood was caused when...
Report on Himalayan Ice Cap
Has 'Shocking Finding'
Feb 4, 2019 2:48 PM CST
Report on Himalayan Ice Cap Has 'Shocking Finding'
One-third of the ice cap can't be saved, scientists say
- The precise impact of rising temperatures in the Himalayas hasn’t been clear to scientists. But it is now, a report issued Monday says, per the
: At least one-third of the huge ice fields in the mountain chain will melt by 2100. That’s even if the loftiest goals...
May 28, 2013 9:51 AM CDT
New Threat in Himalayas' Glacial Melt: Tsunamis
Villagers could have just minutes' warning
- Tsunamis can occur far from the ocean, and climate change is increasing the risk of disaster in one of the more unlikely places on Earth: the Himalayas. Lakes are forming more frequently in the area thanks to glacial melting, and when a natural dam breaks—due to erosion, water pressure,...
In Global Warming Twist, Some Asian Glaciers Growing
Apr 16, 2012 4:52 AM CDT
In Global Warming Twist, Some Asian Glaciers Growing
Karakoram range bucking trend of most Himalayan glaciers
- Global warming is melting the Himalayan glaciers faster and faster , threatening one of the world's most important fresh water supplies—unless it isn't. The glaciers in at least one part of the Karakoram range are actually putting on mass, and scientists are not sure why, reports the BBC...
in Race to Find
Apr 8, 2012 8:40 AM CDT
Pakistan Stumped in Race to Find Avalanche Missing
No victims recovered yet as more snowfall looms in Himalayan outpost
- Pakistan is using bulldozers in a frantic, if thus far futile, search through some 80 feet of snow after an avalanche buried at least 135 people near a Himalayan military complex at the India border. At least 240 troops and civilians were today sifting through a slushy mix of snow,...
100 Pakistani Soldiers
Apr 7, 2012 5:45 AM CDT
Avalanche Buries 100 Pakistani Soldiers
They're trapped while at camp in Himalayas
- An avalanche along the Pakistan-India border tore into a Pakistan army base high in the Himalayas in the early morning hours today, burying about 100 soldiers, reports the AP . Rescue efforts were under way. The base is located in a valley between two mountains and is the main gateway that...
Mt. Everest Getting More
Dangerous to Climb: Sherpa
Feb 27, 2012 4:51 AM CST
Mt. Everest Getting More Dangerous to Climb: Sherpa
Global warming changing Himalayas, melting glaciers
- Climate change appears to be hitting even the highest place on Earth, the Himalayas. A leading Nepalese mountaineer says the mountain range, including Mount Everest, has lost much of its snow and ice, making it now more prone to rockfalls and more dangerous to climb, reports AFP . "In 1989...
Dec 5, 2011 8:19 AM CST
Himalayan Glaciers Melting Fast: Scientists
Key reports released at UN climate conference
- The Himalayan glaciers are melting—and quickly, scientists have confirmed for the first time. Over the past three decades, the 10 glaciers surveyed have shrunk by up to 22%, scientists revealed yesterday at a UN climate change conference in South Africa. Bhutan’s glaciers have shrunk 22%, while Nepal’s...
Oops! Himalayan Glaciers
May Not Be Melting So Fast
Jan 17, 2010 12:51 PM CST
Oops! Himalayan Glaciers May Not Be Melting So Fast
UN warning that they'll be gone by 2035 turns out to be bogus
- Another alarming prediction about the pace of global warming—that the Himalayan glaciers will "very likely" have vanished by 2035—appears to be questionable at best. Turns out the warning 2 years ago from the UN's climate agency, the IPCC, was based on an 8-year-old story in a popular...
Popular on Newser
Forecasters Warn of Generational Cold
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
China: Let's Stay Calm About This Alleged Spy Balloon
Police: Actually, No Evidence We Headed Off Mass Shooting
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.