Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Mysterious 'Poe Toaster' Once Again a No-Show
For 5th year, no roses, cognac left on grave
- Yesterday was Edgar Allan Poe's 205th birthday, but there were no roses and cognac left on his grave to mark the occasion. For years, a mysterious man known only as the "Poe Toaster" visited the Baltimore grave, leaving behind three roses and a half-drunk bottle of Martell, but...
'Poe Toaster' Tradition Is Really Done
Mysterious guest does not appear at grave for third consecutive year
- For the third year running , the mysterious "Poe Toaster" failed to show up at Edgar Allan Poe's Baltimore grave on the anniversary of his birthday today, and the Poe House and Museum curator says he's declaring the tradition "over." Fans waited for hours past the...
Poe Fans Hope Mystery Birthday Visitor Shows
After two no-show years, this could be their final vigil
- Beginning on Jan. 19, 1949, a mysterious visitor marked Edgar Allan Poe's birthday by laying three red roses and a bottle of cognac on the author's Baltimore grave. But fans of the gothic scribe worry that the tradition may be resting six feet under as well: The birthday...
Has Edgar Allan Poe's Mystery Admirer Passed On?
Visitor bearing roses, cognac doesn't appear for second year
- For the second year in a row , the mysterious visitor who marked Edgar Allan Poe's birthday each year by leaving three red roses and a bottle of cognac on the author's Baltimore grave has failed to appear. The tradition, which began on Jan. 19, 1949, was last carried out on...
Poe's Mystery Birthday Visitor a No-Show
Cognac and rose-leaving 'toaster' doesn't arrive for first time since 1949
- On every one of Edgar Allan Poe’s birthdays since 1949, a mysterious visitor has arrived at his grave in Baltimore in the wee hours and left roses and a bottle of cognac—but no more. The unidentified admirer failed to turn up today. “There was no indication he...
Popular on Newser
UPS: We Found Tucker Carlson's Missing Shipment
The Election Polls Are Wrong
An 'Unprecedented' Ransomware Assault Is Underway
One of the Final Places Without COVID Reports First Cases
This Time, SCOTUS Hands Democrats the Victory
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.