Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 5,124,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Ralph Nader Relatives Suing Boeing Over Crash
Consumer advocate's grandniece died in Ethiopian Airlines crash
- Relatives of one of America's most famous consumer advocates have a personal connection to last month's Ethiopian Airlines crash—and they plan to sue. Samya Rose Stumo, the 24-year-old daughter of a Ralph Nader niece, was killed in the crash of the Boeing 737 Max. Her relatives plan...
Report: Pilots Followed Boeing Procedures—at First
Pilots reactivated MCAS as plane continued to aim downward: 'WSJ'
- Emergency procedures touted by Boeing in the wake of October’s Lion Air crash "apparently didn’t work as expected" come March. The pilots of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 initially followed emergency procedures in killing power to stall-prevention feature MCAS , the
Wall Street Journal
reports, citing people briefed on...
Report on Ethiopia Crash Will Be Bad News for Boeing:
Investigators reportedly believe anti-stall system was triggered
- Expected within days, the preliminary report on the crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 will give "the strongest indication yet" that the Boeing 737 MAX's stall-prevention system was to blame , as suspected with the earlier Lion Air crash in Indonesia. That's according to the
Wall Street Journal
737 Max Pilots Have 40 Seconds to Fix Problem
Simulations find automated system quickly can't be overridden
- Flight simulations have found that Boeing 737 Max pilots would have less than a minute to disengage an automated system and manually prevent a nosedive caused by a failed sensor—the scenario that is suspected in two recent airliner crashes . The sensor failure causes software designed to prevent a stall...
Boeing Black Box Finding Is Revealed
Minister says there's 'a clear similarity' to the Indonesia crash
- Preliminary data retrieved from the flight data recorder of the Ethiopian Airlines plane that crashed shows "a clear similarity" with an earlier disaster in Indonesia , Ethiopia's transport minister said Sunday. Dagmawit Moges told reporters that the Ethiopian government intends to release detailed findings within one month, the AP...
Instead of Remains, Ethiopia Gives Families Scorched Earth
Remains are proving exceptionally hard, if not impossible, to identify
- Grieving family members of victims of the Ethiopian air disaster are being given sacks of earth to bury in place of the remains of their loved ones. Officials have begun delivering bags of earth to family members of the 157 victims of the crash instead of the remains of their...
Report: Pilot Knew He Was in Trouble Immediately
He asked to return as 737 Max hit abnormal speed
- The pilot of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 knew he was in serious trouble soon after the doomed flight took off from Addis Ababa on Sunday, a source who has reviewed air traffic communications tells the
New York Times.
Captain Yared Getachew calmly reported a "flight control" problem a minute...
Ethiopian Airlines Pilot Had 'Flight Control Problems'
Trump says modern aircraft are too complex
- The pilot of a doomed Ethiopian Airlines flight reported having "flight control problems" soon before the crash, the airline's CEO says. "He was having difficulties with the flight control of the airplane, so he asked to return back to base," Tewolde GebreMariam tells CNN . The CEO...
A Boeing 737-8 MAX Again Crashes Minutes After Takeoff
Ethiopia's state broadcaster says all 157 people aboard are dead
- An Ethiopian Airlines flight with 157 people thought to be on board crashed shortly after takeoff Sunday morning from Ethiopia's capital while headed to Nairobi, the airline said. Ethiopia's state broadcaster says all passengers are dead, reports the AP . There were no immediate details on what caused the...
Co-Pilot Hijacks Plane, Demands Asylum
All Ethiopian Airlines passengers safe after Geneva landing
- An Ethiopian Airlines plane was hijacked early today by its own co-pilot, who was seeking asylum in Switzerland. The co-pilot locked himself in the cockpit when the pilot went to the toilet, and flew the Boeing 767-300—which had taken off from Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa and was headed to...
Ethiopian Jet's Black Box Recovered
Plane had crashed outside Beirut in Jan. 25 thunderstorm
- Lebanon's marine commandos today recovered the black box of the Ethiopian Airlines jet that crashed into the Mediterranean last month, a Lebanese army officer said. The Boeing 737 crashed Jan. 25 minutes after takeoff from Beirut during a fierce thunderstorm. All 90 people on board died. The officer said the...
Ethiopian Airlines Pilot Flew the Wrong Way
Did 'very fast and strange turn' before crash into Mediterranean
- The pilot of an Ethiopian Airlines plane that crashed off the coast of Lebanon flew in the opposite direction from that requested by the Beirut control tower, the AP reports. The flight controller "asked him to correct his path, but he did a very fast and strange turn before...
Popular on Newser
Man Who Bragged He'd Live Forever Has Died
10 Reactions to Biden Picking Kamala Harris
'Something Out of Orwell': Defiant NJ Gym Loses License
Florida Sheriff Tells Deputies They Cannot Wear Masks
Trump Has Praise for 'Future Republican Star'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.