Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
We Should Cap Prison Sentences at 20 Years
Or at least assess all inmates at that point, argues writer
- With talk of reforming the criminal justice system gaining steam, a writer at Democracy makes the case for a controversial idea: maximum sentences of 20 years for nearly all prisoners. Lots of attention has been paid to the long mandatory sentences doled out to nonviolent drug offenders, but Marc Mauer...
Alleged Identity Thief Serves Prison Time as Victim
Gregory Harville wanted health care benefits
- San Francisco police collared a man this week for allegedly stealing an old friend's identity and using it to get a job and health benefits. The twist: Gregory Harville, 58, also paid traffic tickets and served time in state prison under the victim's name,
Letterman Blackmailer to Plead Guilty Today
Deal for Robert Halderman includes 6 months in prison
- Accused David Letterman blackmailer Robert Halderman will have that “accused” dropped today when he pleads guilty to extorting the late night host for $2 million. According to details of the deal obtained by the
New York Post
, Halderman will serve 6 months in jail and 4½ years of probation,...
Popular on Newser
Ken Jennings Blasted for Tweet He Chose Not to Delete
Zooming From the Bathroom, in Hindsight, Was a Mistake
DOJ to Allow for Federal Execution by Firing Squad
Macy's Takes Heat Over 'Diverse Dance Group'
Spy Agency: Kim Is Taking 'Irrational' COVID Measures
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.