Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Frees Up $6B in Frozen Iran
Funds in Prisoner Swap Deal
Sep 12, 2023 9:43 AM CDT
US Frees Up $6B in Frozen Iran Funds in Prisoner Swap Deal
Arrangement advances to free 5 Iranian prisoners in US in exchange for 5 American prisoners in Iran
- Five American citizens detained in Iran are now set to be released, after the Biden administration agreed to release five Iranian citizens held in the United States. Per the AP , the next step in the deal also included the US issuing a waiver to banks around the world to allow...
of Iran Has
Nov 8, 2020 11:30 AM CST
President of Iran Has a Message for Biden
Hassan Rouhani calls on America to re-enter the nuclear deal
- Iran's president called on President-elect Joe Biden to "compensate for past mistakes" and return the US to Tehran's 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, a state-run news agency reported Sunday, per the AP . Hassan Rouhani's comments mark the highest-level response from Iran to Biden and Vice...
to 'Snap Back'
Aug 19, 2020 5:20 PM CDT
Trump: Iran Policy Needs to 'Snap Back'
America will tell the UN to reimpose Iran sanctions
- The US will demand Thursday that all United Nations sanctions be reimposed against Iran, President Trump said Wednesday, a move that follows America's defeat in trying to extend an arms embargo against Tehran, the AP reports. The administration's insistence on snapping back international sanctions against Iran sets the...
US Penalizes Iran,
Jan 10, 2020 11:37 AM CST
US Penalizes Iran, Rebuffs Iraq
Tehran gets more sanctions, and State Department rejects troop withdrawal
- As promised, the US has imposed more sanctions on Iran after the missile strike on American targets in Iraq. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Treasury chief Steven Mnuchin announced them Friday, reports Reuters . They hit Iran's manufacturing, mining, and textile sectors, but they also target eight military and...
Iran Just Struck Oil Big Time
Nov 10, 2019 7:51 AM CST
Iran Just Struck Oil Big Time
Find could bolster Tehran's known reserves by a third amid struggles with sanctions
- Iran has discovered a new oil field in the country's south with over 50 billion barrels of crude, its president said Sunday, a find that could boost the country's proven reserves by a third as it struggles to sell energy abroad over US sanctions. The announcement by Hassan...
US Accuses Iran of
Using Space Agency
to Develop Missiles
Sep 3, 2019 3:48 PM CDT
US Accuses Iran of Using Space Agency to Develop Missiles
And in a first, imposes sanctions on the agency
- The Trump administration imposed sanctions Tuesday on Iran's space agency for the first time, accusing it of developing ballistic missiles under the cover of a civilian program to launch satellites into orbit, the AP reports. The sanctions announced by the State and Treasury departments targeting the agency and two...
Zarif Accuses US
of 'Economic Terrorism'
Aug 29, 2019 12:50 AM CDT
Zarif Accuses US of 'Economic Terrorism'
'You do not negotiate with terrorists,' he says
- Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif says Iran's supreme leader will not meet President Trump unless Washington halts its "economic terrorism" that has hurt ordinary Iranians. Zarif says the removal of US sanctions could also help salvage the Iranian nuclear deal, which the US unilaterally withdrew from last year,...
Iran Busts Another Tanker
Carrying 'Smuggled Fuel'
Aug 4, 2019 6:09 AM CDT
Iran Busts Another Tanker Carrying 'Smuggled Fuel'
Revolutionary Guard says it has seized a third tanker, detained 7 crew
- Iran's Revolutionary Guard has seized an oil tanker carrying 185,000 gallons of "smuggled fuel" in the Persian Gulf, the AP reports via Iranian media on Sunday. State TV and the semi-official Fars news agency reported that seven crew members were detained when the ship was seized late...
Iran to US: Diplomacy Is Done
After 'Stupid,' 'Idiotic' Sanctions
Jun 25, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Iran to US: Diplomacy Is Done After 'Stupid,' 'Idiotic' Sanctions
President Rouhani calls WH 'mentally retarded' as tensions escalate
- Amid a series of escalations with the United States, Iran says it's throwing in the towel on finding a diplomatic way toward peace after the White House's latest round of sanctions, with name-calling thrown in for good measure. "Imposing useless sanctions ... is the permanent closure of the...
Iran Answers Trump on
the Chance for Negotiations
May 28, 2019 4:32 PM CDT
Iran Answers Trump on the Chance for Negotiations
'No prospect' at the moment, spokesman says
- "I really believe that Iran would like to make a deal," President Trump said Monday about possible talks concerning its nuclear program, "and I think that’s very smart of them, and I think that’s a possibility to happen." He received his answer on Tuesday....
Report: US to End
Oil Sanctions Waivers
Apr 22, 2019 12:01 AM CDT
Report: US to End Oil Sanctions Waivers
Move will affect allies including Turkey
- The Trump administration is poised to tell five nations, including allies Japan, South Korea, and Turkey, that they will no longer be exempt from US sanctions if they continue to import oil from Iran, officials said Sunday. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo plans to announce on Monday that the administration...
US to Lead Global Campaign
to Decriminalize Homosexuality
Feb 19, 2019 6:56 PM CST
US to Lead Global Campaign to Decriminalize Homosexuality
Execution in Iran helps prompt the administration's effort
- The Trump administration is launching a worldwide effort to decriminalize homosexuality. "Some 70 countries continue to have laws that criminalize LGBTI status or conduct," a US official involved in the campaign, which is kicking off Tuesday night with a strategy session in Berlin, tells NBC . It's being...
US Hits Huawei, CFO
With Criminal Charges
Jan 28, 2019 7:00 PM CST
US Hits Huawei, CFO With Criminal Charges
How this affects the US-China trade war will remain to be seen
- The US Department of Justice unsealed a 13-count indictment against Chinese tech giant Huawei on Monday, including against two of its affiliates and its chief financial officer, the AP and Fox News report. The felony charges, which came in the form of two separate indictments—one a 10-count grand jury...
China Tech Exec
Dec 6, 2018 6:50 AM CST
China Tech Exec Arrested While Changing Planes
Canada says US wants to extradite Huawei CFO
- China is strongly protesting the arrest of a technology exec who was detained while changing planes in Canada. Meng Wanzhou is Huawei's chief financial officer and daughter of the company's founder, the BBC reports. Canadian authorities say she was being sought for extradition to the US, where the...
US Warns World:
Iranian Tankers Are
'Now a Floating Liability'
Nov 8, 2018 12:33 AM CST
US Warns World: Iranian Tankers Are 'Now a Floating Liability'
It all boils down to insurance
- The United States is warning other countries not to allow Iranian oil tankers into their territorial waters or ports, saying such access may run afoul of US sanctions and not only incur penalties, but also result in catastrophic economic and environmental damage should an accident occur. The State Department reminded...
Iran Warns of
'War Situation' as
Nov 5, 2018 4:53 AM CST
Iran Warns of 'War Situation' as Sanctions Resume
Rouhani likens current situation to war against Saddam
- Iran greeted the re-imposition of US sanctions on Monday with air defense drills and a statement from President Hassan Rouhani that the nation faces a "war situation." The sanctions end all economic benefits America had granted Tehran for its 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, though Iran for...
US Just Reimposed
All Sanctions on Iran
Nov 2, 2018 11:47 AM CDT
US Just Reimposed All Sanctions on Iran
Move follows decision to withdraw from 2015 nuclear deal
- The Trump administration on Friday announced the reimposition of all US sanctions on Iran that had been lifted under the 2015 nuclear deal. The sanctions will take effect Monday and cover Iran's shipping, financial, and energy sectors, the AP reports. It's the second batch of penalties the administration...
Iran Took Its US Gripes to
UN Court, Scored Victory
Oct 3, 2018 7:31 AM CDT
Iran Took Its US Gripes to UN Court, Scored Victory
A preliminary one, at least
- The United Nations' highest court on Wednesday ordered the United States to lift specific sanctions on Iran. The ruling by the International Court of Justice is legally binding, but it remains to be seen if the Trump administration will comply. President Trump moved to restore tough US sanctions in May...
Iran Wants UN's
Highest Court to
Reverse Trump Move
Aug 27, 2018 1:59 PM CDT
Iran Wants UN's Highest Court to Reverse Trump Move
Country wants US sanctions lifted, is citing the Treaty of Amity
- Iran went to the United Nations' highest court Monday in a bid to have US sanctions lifted following President Trump's decision earlier this year to re-impose them, calling the move "naked economic aggression." Iran filed the case with the International Court of Justice in July, claiming that...
Defy US on Iran
Aug 7, 2018 6:51 AM CDT
Trump Issues Warning to Nations That Defy US on Iran
Any nation that does business with Tehran will not do business with US, he says
- President Trump issued another warning in regard to Tehran on Tuesday, but this time it's directed at nations outside Iran. "Anyone doing business with Iran will NOT be doing business with the United States," Trump tweeted . "I am asking for WORLD PEACE, nothing less!" The...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boston College Suspends Swimming, Diving Teams
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
She Worked Her Way Up the Men's Wearhouse Ladder. Now, Jail
Young Would-Be Voters Answer Taylor Swift's Plea
Man Flees After Child Exposed to Fentanyl Dies at Wife's Daycare
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.