Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Toxic Metals Found
in 95% of Baby Foods
Oct 18, 2019 3:40 AM CDT
Toxic Metals Found in 95% of Baby Foods
Contaminants hurt developing brains, researchers warn
- Toxic metals now banned in pesticides still linger in our soil and water—and they are present in a frightening proportion of baby foods, according to a new study. Researchers at the Healthy Babies Bright Futures Foundation say arsenic, lead, mercury, or cadmium were found in almost all of the...
Engineer Allegedly Spent
Year Trying to Kill Colleague
Apr 3, 2019 12:11 AM CDT
Engineer Allegedly Spent Year Trying to Kill Colleague
Investigators allege David Xu put cadmium in her food, water
- A chemical engineer in California spent more than a year trying to kill a colleague by poisoning her food and water with "toxic amounts of cadmium," prosecutors say. David Xu, 32, is being held without bail on charges including premeditated attempted murder resulting in great bodily injury and...
Mar 24, 2016 5:05 PM CDT
Our Favorite Chocolates Could Be Poisoning Us
Nonprofit finds illegal levels of lead, cadmium in multiple brands
- A California nonprofit is warning consumers that the Cadbury Creme Egg in their basket this Easter may be closer to a Leadbury Creme Egg. As You Sow tested 50 types of chocolates and found illegal levels of cadmium and/or lead in 70% of them, CBS San Francisco reports. A press...
Breast Cancer Risk
Mar 15, 2012 12:35 PM CDT
Cadmium Increases Breast Cancer Risk
It's found in whole grains, potatoes, and other vegetables
- Women whose diets are higher in cadmium are more likely to develop breast cancer, according to a new study released today by the American Association for Cancer Research. Cadmium is a heavy metal that seeps into crops through fertilizer, rainfall, and sewage, and is most often found in whole grains,...
Alarming Levels of
Lead Found in Glasses
Nov 22, 2010 8:57 AM CST
Alarming Levels of Lead Found in Glasses
Amount in enamel of Tin Man glass was 1,006 times federal limit
- In lab tests commissioned by the AP , alarming levels of lead and cadmium were found on the surface of drinking glasses made in China. These glasses—bearing images of comic book icons and characters from movies like the
Wizard of Oz
—were made for brands like Coca-Cola, Walt Disney, Burger...
Wal-Mart Yanks Toxin-Tainted
Miley Cyrus Jewelry
May 20, 2010 3:37 AM CDT
Wal-Mart Yanks Toxin-Tainted Miley Cyrus Jewelry
AP investigation finds high levels of cadmium
- Wal-Mart is yanking a line of Miley Cyrus bracelets and necklaces after an Associated Press investigation turned up dangerous levels of toxic cadmium in the jewelry. Long-term exposure to cadmium, a known carcinogen, can lead to bone softening and kidney failure, and hinder brain development in the young. It's only...
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.