Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
'I Didn't Know It Was Such
an Important Thing, That List'
Apr 11, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
'I Didn't Know It Was Such an Important Thing, That List'
Secretary Mimi Reinhard, who typed up Oskar Schindler's famous list of names, dies at 107
- Mimi Reinhard, a secretary in Oskar Schindler's office who typed up the list of Jews he saved from extermination by Nazi Germany, has died in Israel at the age of 107. Reinhard died Friday and was laid to rest Sunday in Herzliya, near Tel Aviv, her son Sasha Weitman...
Spielberg's 'Red Coat' Girl
Has a Real-Life Role Now
Apr 9, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Spielberg's 'Red Coat' Girl Has a Real-Life Role Now
Oliwia Dabrowska of Poland is helping Ukrainian refugees
- The world knows her as the girl in the red coat from Steven Spielberg's
. But Oliwia Dabrowska—who was just 3 when she provided the only splash of color in the Holocaust film—is now 32 and helping Ukrainian refugees, reports Deadline . Dabrowska lives in Poland,...
of First Sentencing
Jun 22, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Capitol Rioter Apologizes Ahead of First Sentencing
Indiana's Anna Morgan-Lloyd says she's learned from 'Schindler's List'
- An Indiana woman, expected Wednesday to be the first of more than 400 people charged in the Capitol attack to be sentenced, has agreed to plead guilty to a single federal charge, saying movies and books have showed her what life is like for nonwhite people. In a letter to...
Schindler Saved 1,200 Jews in
This Factory. Can It Be Saved?
Oct 11, 2016 7:53 AM CDT
Schindler Saved 1,200 Jews in This Factory. Can It Be Saved?
Inside the effort to preserve the Brnenec textile factory
- August brought the news that the Czech factory where Oskar Schindler famously saved the lives of 1,200 Jews had perhaps found a savoir of its own. In extreme disrepair since it ceased operations a dozen years ago, the Brnenec textile factory had after what the
describes as protracted...
'Schindler of Congo'
Now Needs Others' Help
Dec 24, 2015 8:23 AM CST
'Schindler of Congo' Now Needs Others' Help
Marrion P'Udongo helps orphans, kid soldiers, rape victims—and has bad kidney
- Marrion P'Udongo is recognized simply as "pastor" by many and has pulled off a laundry list of heroic acts in the war-torn Republic of the Congo , including assisting child soldiers and rape victims and helping manage an orphanage, per NBC News . His other nickname, the "Schindler of...
Theme for Neo-Nazis
Aug 26, 2014 5:50 PM CDT
Theme for Neo-Nazis
Sweden's Norrkoping sends a message at rally
- The Swedish city of Norrkoping allowed neo-Nazis to stage a rally, but officials managed to tweak them just the same—by ringing the bells of city hall to the theme song from
. City officials decided the tune from Steven Spielberg's Holocaust drama was an appropriate way...
Schindler's Actual List
Up for Sale—on eBay
Jul 19, 2013 5:09 PM CDT
Schindler's Actual List Up for Sale—on eBay
Start your bids at $3M, please
- Only four versions of Oskar Schindler's famous list are still known to exist. Three are in museums, and the remaining one can be yours with a starting bid of $3 million. On eBay. The
New York Post
reports that owners Gary Zimet and Eric Gazin put their copy up...
Youngest Name on
Dead at 83
Jan 14, 2013 9:15 AM CST
Youngest Name on Schindler's List Dead at 83
Leon Leyson was 13 at the time
Los Angeles Times
today has the fascinating obituary of Leon Leyson, notable for being the youngest person on Schindler's List. Leyson was among the 1,100 Jews saved from the Nazis by Oskar Schindler, who employed them in his Krakow factory; "Little Leyson," as he was...
Typist Dead at 91
Jun 19, 2011 5:29 AM CDT
'Schindler’s List' Typist Dead at 91
Mietek Pemper convinced Schindler to make munitions to save prisoners' lives
- Mietek Pemper, the Jewish prisoner who created "Schindler's List"—a list of concentration camp workers "essential" to the Nazi war effort, which saved hundreds from extermination—has died at age 91, reports the
New York Times
. Pemper was secretary for the commandant of the Plaszow concentration...
Judge OKs Sale
of Schindler's List
Dec 27, 2010 4:54 AM CST
Judge OKs Sale of Schindler's List
Ruling reverses a temporary ban
- A New York judge has approved the sale of a 13-page list of names said to be an original "Schindler's List," reports the
. An heir to Oscar Schindler's widow had sought to block the sale, which could fetch more than $2 million. Seven lists were made, and...
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
46 Found Dead in 18-Wheeler in San Antonio
Trump Reportedly Lunged for Steering Wheel on Jan. 6
After Going Dark in 2020, 'Q' of QAnon Is Back
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.