Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Add Newser to your home screen?
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 189,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
US Denies Citizenship to Daughter of 2 Men
Lawsuit against State Department challenges policy
- Lev Kiviti has been a US citizen since he was born in Canada through surrogacy in 2016. But his sister, Kessem, was born this year, after the Trump administration began enforcing a policy that children born out of wedlock are not entitled to birthright citizenship. Their same-sex parents, Roee and...
Trump, Ryan Spar Over Birthright Citizenship
President slams House speaker after Ryan says it can't be ended with executive order
- On Tuesday, Paul Ryan offered a rare break with President Trump when he told WVLK of the president's controversial plan to end birthright citizenship , "You obviously cannot do that. You cannot end birthright citizenship with an executive order." He went on to note that conservatives "believe...
Trump Gives His Read of the 14th Amendment on Twitter
He zeroes in on 5 key words
- Whether President Trump can end birthright citizenship with an executive order comes down to one's reading of the 14th Amendment. As NPR explains in a fact-check piece, a "small but vocal group of conservative legal scholars" have zeroed in on five crucial words, bolded here: "All persons...
Critics Say Trump's Citizenship Move Has Fishy Timing
President talks about ending birthright citizenship a week ahead of elections
- President Trump made big headlines Tuesday by revealing to Axios that he intends to end the practice of "birthright citizenship" with an executive order. Trump maintained that the idea of granting US citizenship to a newborn simply because the child was born on American soil is "ridiculous" and...
Trump: I'm Going to End Birthright Citizenship
He tells Axios he'll use an executive order to end the longstanding practice
- President Trump tells Axios that he plans to make a fundamental change to US citizenship rules: Babies born on American soil will no longer automatically be considered citizens. The president says he's been advised by constitutional experts that he can make the change to what's known as birthright...
GOP Rep Accused of White Nationalism After Tweet
Steve King praises far-right Dutch pol, rails against 'somebody else's babies'
- GOP Rep. Steve King, who recently courted controversy by trying to keep Harriet Tubman off the $20 bill , found himself at the center of new outrage Sunday when he brought Twitter "to a screeching halt" with what the BBC calls an "inflammatory" post complimenting far-right Dutch politician Geert...
Feds Swoop on Chinese 'Birth Tourists'
Women paid up to $60K to have American babies
- Federal agents have launched a major crackdown on what they say is a big industry that helps wealthy Chinese women have American babies. Agents raided 37 addresses in California yesterday in the crackdown on "birth tourism" rings that allegedly charge up to $60,000 to help the women come...
In California Homes, Tourists Birthed American Babies
LA county center shut as firms offer US trips to give birth
- A "birth tourism" center uncovered by officials in Los Angeles County has given fresh ammunition to people calling for a change to the 14th Amendment, which grants automatic citizenship to every baby born in the US. Officials say they discovered that three connected townhouses were being used as a...
Arizona Senate Shoots Down Immigration Bills
Lawmakers reject 'anchor baby' bill
- The Arizona Senate has rejected a package of controversial immigration bills , including measures aimed at forcing the US Supreme Court to rule against granting birthright citizenship to the children of illegal immigrants. Other rejected measures would have made it a crime for illegal immigrants to drive a vehicle, and would...
Ariz. Bills Would Bar Illegals From Driving, Marriage
Committee also peels back 'birthright' citizenship
- An Arizona Senate committee passed a new immigration bill yesterday that would prevent illegal immigrants from driving or buying a car, getting married, or sending their children to school. They also passed a bill ending “birthright citizenship,” in defiance of the 14th Amendment. Under that bill, Arizona will...
Arizona Bills Target Birthright Citizenship
GOP lawmakers aim to trigger review of 14th Amendment
- Arizona Republicans introduced four bills yesterday aimed at denying US citizenship to the children of illegal immigrants. The lawmakers hope to provoke a Supreme Court review of the 14th Amendment, which guarantees citizenship to "all persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof...
Popular on Newser
New Theory Floated on Origins of Coronavirus
Now Walking Out: Grocery, Delivery Workers
Scientist: New Data on US 'Gives Me Hope'
CDC May Change Advice on Face Coverings
He Went Missing, but Friends Didn't Buy Family's Story
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Suggest a Story
Get our apps
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.