Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Sheriff: At Least 12 Arrested
for Animal Sacrifice in Texas
Mar 17, 2018 11:08 AM CDT
Sheriff: At Least 12 Arrested for Animal Sacrifice in Texas
'It appears that they were having some sort of unknown ritual'
- Authorities in Texas have arrested at least a dozen people for animal cruelty after interrupting what they believe was ritual sacrifice, the AP reports. According to the
San Antonio Express-News
, Bexar County sheriff's deputies found dead and dismembered animals in a San Antonio-area home Friday night after receiving calls...
Jul 30, 2015 2:21 PM CDT
Temple Ends Centuries-Old Mass Slaughter of Animals
Hundreds of thousands were killed at festival every 5 years
- The killing of Cecil the lion made this a depressing week for animal-rights supporters. Here's a counter-punch: A Hindu temple in Nepal has ended a centuries-old mass slaughter of animals that takes place every five years, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Twice a decade for nearly 250 years, pilgrims...
Nov 28, 2014 4:32 PM CST
World's Biggest Animal Slaughter Has Begun
In 2009, an estimated 300K animals were killed over 2 days
- The world's biggest animal slaughter is once again under way. The
and Al Jazeera report on the weeks-long festival, which takes place every five years in the Nepalese village of Bariyapur. The killing takes place over just two days, in this case, Friday and Saturday: Hindus armed with...
of Kids, Llamas
Oct 31, 2014 4:22 PM CDT
Dig Reveals Mass Sacrifice of Kids, Llamas
At least 42 children, 76 llamas killed in possible offering to the sea
- Physical anthropologist John Verano has seen plenty while working in Peru over the last 30 years. What he came across this summer in the village of Huanchaquito, however, is "not what we've seen before, especially on the coast," he says. Locals noticed bones poking out of a...
We Won't Stop
Aug 27, 2013 2:07 PM CDT
Soccer Team: We Won't Stop Sacrificing Sheep
Kazakh squad catches flak for ritual
- One of the strangest things ever uttered before a soccer match: "We are currently seeking assurance from Celtic Park that no sheep will be allowed on the premises ahead of the match." That's courtesy of the Scotland SPCA, worried that a visiting team from Kazakhstan will follow...
Kyrgyz Parliament Sacrifices
Sheep to Expel Evil Spirits
Apr 21, 2011 8:10 AM CDT
Kyrgyz Parliament Sacrifices Sheep to Expel Evil Spirits
Central Asian nation's three-party coalition has been squabbling
- It may not be the way to bring that "Kumbaya" feeling back to Capitol Hill, but maybe it'll work in Kyrgyzstan? Members of the country's parliament, which the AP describes as "raucous," sacrificed seven sheep this morning in an attempt to expel evil spirits from...
Feb 11, 2010 11:58 AM CST
Kenya Feeds Zebras to Hungry Lions
Carnivores in Amboseli National Park have been attacking local livestock
- In a sort of zoological sacrifice, the Kenyan government is rounding up thousands of zebras and wildebeest to feed to starving lions and hyenas in the country's drought-ridden south. Some 80% of herbivores in Amboseli National Park were felled by the dry conditions, leading the hungry carnivores to attack neighboring...
Newfound Altar Predates Zeus Worship
Feb 5, 2008 11:15 AM CST
Newfound Altar Predates Zeus Worship
Archaeologists uncover evidence of ancient pre-Greek diety
- Archaeologists in Greece have unearthed the remains of an altar that predates Zeus worship, the
New York Times
reports. The evidence of animal sacrifices to an unknown deity thousands of years ago turned up during excavation of a temple to Zeus in Greece's Arcadia region. “We went from BC...
Popular on Newser
Cruise Cancels at Sea, Stranding Passengers
Things Got Ugly After Dallas' Wild Playoff Loss
Trump Mocks Biden in Speech at Arizona Rally
Bob Saget Widow Breaks Silence After Star's Death
Transportation CEO Steps In Front of Train to His Death
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.