Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Witness: Angry Trump Lunged for Steering Wheel on Jan. 6
Stories 1 - 20 |
No Republican Senator
Served Longer in Office
Apr 24, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
No Republican Senator Served Longer in Office
Utah's Orrin Hatch is dead at 88
- Orrin G. Hatch, who became the longest-serving Republican senator in history as he represented Utah for more than four decades, died Saturday at age 88. His death was announced in a statement from his foundation, which did not specify a cause, per the AP . He launched the Hatch Foundation as...
Ex-Democratic Staffer Allegedly
Doxxed GOP Senators
Oct 4, 2018 11:05 AM CDT
Ex-Democratic Staffer Allegedly Doxxed GOP Senators
Jackson Cosko charged with posting addresses online
- A former member of Democratic Sen. Maggie Hassan's staff was caught inside Hassan's Capitol Hill office Tuesday night and ultimately arrested Wednesday on charges that he "doxxed" GOP senators. Jackson A. Cosko, 27, is accused of posting "private, identifying information," including addresses, online, Politico reports....
Orrin Hatch Takes Flak
for Choice of Words on Ford
Sep 27, 2018 1:18 PM CDT
Orrin Hatch Takes Flak for Choice of Words on Ford
Senator calls her 'attractive' and 'pleasing'
- Orrin Hatch is taking grief for his choice of words in describing the testimony of Christine Blasey Ford on Thursday. During the lunch break, the Republican member of the Senate Judiciary Committee referred to Ford as an "attractive" and "pleasing" witness, reports Roll Call . "I don't...
He Didn't Die
Jul 24, 2018 1:14 PM CDT
Using Bacon Pics, Orrin Hatch Proves He Didn't Die
His Google bio erroneously declared Utah senator deceased as of last September
- "Hi.. @Google? We might need to talk." That was Orrin Hatch's tweet to the tech site late Monday night after he spotted an error in his bio that popped up in a Google search, and it was a pretty big one. According to Google, the 84-year-old Utah...
John McCain Is
May 8, 2018 7:43 AM CDT
John McCain Is Blocking Trump From Funeral
It's 'ridiculous,' says Sen. Orrin Hatch
- As Arizona Sen. John McCain gets his affairs in order , focus has moved to the 81-year-old's funeral. NBC News reports that former presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama have each been asked to deliver eulogies at the event at the National Cathedral in Washington, DC, while President Trump...
Fails to Get
Apr 22, 2018 6:11 AM CDT
Mitt Romney Fails to Get Utah Senate Nomination
He'll now face a primary for Orrin Hatch's seat after a contentious GOP nominating convention
- Mitt Romney did anything but cruise to the Republican nomination for Orrin Hatch's Utah Senate seat on Saturday in what CNN calls "a wild and raucous day of voting" at the state's nominating convention. Romney, among a dozen Republicans seeking Hatch's seat, was unable to secure...
After Shooting, Romney
Delays Senate Announcement
Feb 15, 2018 12:01 AM CST
After Shooting, Romney Delays Senate Announcement
Sources say he was planning to release video Thursday
- Mitt Romney is preparing to announce a bid for the Utah Senate seat held by retiring Orrin Hatch, a position some hope the 2012 GOP presidential nominee will use to continue his biting criticism of President Trump. Romney, who once called Trump "a phony" who was unfit for office,...
Mitt Romney Just Changed
His Location to 'Utah'
Jan 3, 2018 5:00 AM CST
Mitt Romney Just Changed His Location to 'Utah'
Move seen as big hint at Senate run
- Mitt Romney hasn't publicly said whether he plans to run for the Senate now that Utah's Sen. Orrin Hatch is retiring , but he may have provided a clue via Twitter: Hours after Hatch announced the move, Romney changed his location from "Massachusetts" to "Holladay, Utah" in...
If Romney Replaces Hatch,
Senate Math Is All New
Jan 2, 2018 3:27 PM CST
If Romney Replaces Hatch, Senate Math Is All New
Utah Senator is retiring, paving way for Trump-critic Romney to run
- Utah's Orrin Hatch, the longest-serving Republican in the Senate, says he won't be running for re-election in 2018. The 83-year-old announced the move on Twitter. “Every good fighter knows when to hang up the gloves," he says in a video . "And for me, that time...
Paper Calls Out
Lack of Integrity.'
He Says Thanks
Dec 26, 2017 5:18 PM CST
Paper Calls Out Hatch's 'Utter Lack of Integrity.' He Says Thanks
It was tongue-in-cheek, says his rep
- Sen. Orrin Hatch responded to being named the
Salt Lake Tribune's
2017 Utahn of the Year —for, among other things, his "utter lack of integrity that rises from his unquenchable thirst for power"—by tweeting a sort of thanks. "Grateful for this great Christmas honor...
Senator Is Utahn
of the Year, and
Not in a Good Way
Dec 26, 2017 5:41 AM CST
Senator Is Utahn of the Year, and Not in a Good Way
Tribune says Orrin Hatch should 'call it a career'
- Sen. Orrin Hatch is the
Salt Lake Tribune
's 2017 Utahn of the Year, a distinction the state's biggest paper says it gives the person who had the biggest impact on the year, "for good or ill"—and in the Republican senator's case, it definitely...
Trump Pushing Hard to
Keep Romney Out of Senate
Dec 4, 2017 3:13 AM CST
Trump Pushing Hard to Keep Romney Out of Senate
Sources say he has been urging Orrin Hatch to stay on
- After almost 41 years in office, Utah's Sen. Orrin Hatch is the longest-serving Republican senator in US history—and President Trump apparently wants the 83-year-old Senate Finance Committee chairman to seek another term in 2018. Sources tell Politico that Trump, who will appear with Hatch at an event in...
Trump Will Shrink
Oct 27, 2017 4:13 PM CDT
Trump Will Shrink Utah Monuments: Orrin Hatch
Senator says president is taking interior secretary's recommendation
- President Trump is shrinking two national monuments in Utah, accepting the recommendation of Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke to reverse protections established by two Democratic presidents, Orrin Hatch said Friday. The Republican senator said he was "incredibly grateful" that Trump called him on Friday to say he is approving Zinke'...
Your 401(k) Contributions
May Not Be Safe After All
Oct 25, 2017 12:03 PM CDT
Your 401(k) Contributions May Not Be Safe After All
House tax-writing chief Kevin Brady suggests limits are in play, despite Trump's opposition
- President Trump declared emphatically this week that 401(k) contributions were off-limits to congressional negotiators working on changes to the tax code. But on Wednesday, one of those negotiators—in fact, one of the most influential ones—suggested otherwise, reports the
. Kevin Brady, who chairs the House tax-writing committee,...
Report: If Hatch Wants Out
of Senate, Romney Wants In
Sep 11, 2017 10:58 AM CDT
Report: If Hatch Wants Out of Senate, Romney Wants In
Former presidential candidate said to be waiting on Utah senator's retirement decision
- What Joe Biden wants, Joe Biden gets—maybe. In June, the former VP had recommended to former presidential candidate Mitt Romney that the latter should run for Senate if Utah's Orrin Hatch retires next year, as has been rumored. Now, sources tell Utah Policy that Romney is gearing up...
US Mom Warns Son Is Suicidal
After Year in Venezuelan Prison
Jun 30, 2017 4:50 PM CDT
US Mom Warns Son Is Suicidal After Year in Venezuelan Prison
Lawyers say Joshua Holt, new wife were framed by Venezuelan government
- A year ago Friday, Utah man Joshua Holt and his new bride were arrested in their apartment in Caracas and imprisoned without charges or a hearing, NBC News reports. They're still waiting for either on what Sen. Orrin Hatch tells the
Wall Street Journal
is a "devastating anniversary....
Run for Senate
Jun 10, 2017 3:53 PM CDT
Biden Thinks Romney Should Run for Senate
Should Orrin Hatch retire, that is
- Former Vice President Joe Biden has encouraged onetime GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney to run for the Senate in Utah if longtime Republican incumbent Orrin Hatch decides to retire next year, the AP reports. Biden made the recommendation to Romney on Friday evening at the Utah resort where Romney was...
Back Into Politics
Apr 7, 2017 1:19 PM CDT
Mitt Romney Considers Getting Back Into Politics
He might stage a Senate run in Utah
- Mitt Romney might be re-entering politics. Six sources tell the
Romney, former Massachusetts governor and US presidential candidate, is "actively discussing" a Senate run in Utah. Republican leaders and donors, sources say, want 83-year-old incumbent Sen. Orrin Hatch to decline to seek re-election in 2018 and Romney to...
Giving Up on
Mar 2, 2017 9:26 AM CST
Dems Aren't Giving Up on Seeing Trump's Tax Returns
And Republican Lindsey Graham wants to make it mandatory for candidates
- Senate Democrats seeking President Trump's tax returns hoped a strongly worded letter might finally do the trick. Didn't work. Seven Democrats on the Finance Committee wrote to GOP Chairman Orrin Hatch on Wednesday, asking that he use his authority to make the returns available to the committee for...
GOP Advances 2 Nominees
With No Democrats Present
Feb 1, 2017 9:37 AM CST
GOP Advances 2 Nominees With No Democrats Present
After Democratic boycott, Finance Committee Republicans change the rules
- Democrats found a way Tuesday to use the Senate's own rules to stall two of President Trump's Cabinet nominees. On Wednesday, Republicans retaliated in the simplest of ways: They changed those rules. As a result, the names of Treasury nominee Steve Mnuchin and Health and Human Services nominee...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Jan. 6 Panel Calls Surprise Hearing
California's Biggest Landowner Closes Forests to Public
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.