Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Inmate Claims Her Fetus
Is Being Unlawfully Detained
Feb 22, 2023 2:55 PM CST
Inmate Claims Her Fetus Is Being Unlawfully Detained
Natalia Harrell seeks release of unborn child in lawsuit filed in Florida
- A lawsuit filed by a Florida inmate charged with murder alleges unlawful imprisonment—of her fetus. Natalia Harrell, a 24-year-old inmate at Miami-Dade County jail, was six weeks pregnant when she was detained in July on a charge of second-degree murder, according to the suit filed Thursday. Now eight months...
This State's Bill
the Right to Be
Jan 13, 2023 6:44 AM CST
This State's Bill Grants Fetus the Right to Be HOV Passenger
Critics push back on Virginia legislation, saying it would strip abortion rights via 'personhood' concept
- Pregnant but don't have a carpool companion? In Virginia, new legislation seeks to allow you to use the HOV lane anyway, counting your fetus as a second passenger. But reproductive rights advocates are wary, countering that Republicans are using the bill to try to push the concept of "...
Fetal Personhood Case
Oct 11, 2022 6:48 PM CDT
SCOTUS Declines Fetal Personhood Case
Court rebuffed appeal in Rhode Island case
- The Supreme Court has declined to hear a case that could have led to tough nationwide restrictions on abortion. The court, without comment, turned away a case involving the question of whether a fetus has constitutional rights, CNN reports. The case was an appeal of a lower court's ruling...
Think Your Fetus Liked That
Salad You Ate? Check the Scan
Sep 23, 2022 1:05 PM CDT
Think Your Fetus Liked That Salad You Ate? Check the Scan
Ultrasound facial expressions differed depending on if moms-to-be were given kale or carrot capsules
- New moms often insist that their infants respond positively to the same music they used to hear in the womb—could the same go for food that their mothers ate while they were still in utero? Scientists out of the UK's Durham University are now wondering the same, after...
Jailed Here for
Drugs Have Only
One Way Out
Sep 11, 2022 1:05 PM CDT
Pregnant Women Jailed Here for Drugs Have Only One Way Out
They're kept behind bars in Etowah County, Ala., unless they go to rehab, pay $10K
- Multiple pregnant women or new moms are behind bars in an Alabama prison after being arrested for drug use, and they're being kept there for "weeks or months" on end under "special conditions," per AL.com . The outlet reports that the women involved, accused of exposing...
Group Explains Origins
of 5 Fetuses Found in Home
Apr 6, 2022 2:14 PM CDT
Group Explains Origins of 5 Fetuses Found in Home
Anti-abortion group claims they were part of larger group of 115 fetuses
- An anti-abortion group on Tuesday gave an explanation for the five fetuses found last week in a member's home : They say they were medical waste being disposed of by a Washington, DC, abortion clinic—and part of a larger group of 115 fetuses. Their group is the Progressive...
Doctor Removes Tumor
From Patient Not Born Yet
Dec 27, 2021 12:53 PM CST
Doctor Removes Tumor From Patient Not Born Yet
Surgery at Cleveland Clinic is thought to be only the second of its kind worldwide
- A surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio successfully removed a rare tumor from the heart of his patient, but even rarer were the circumstances—the patient had yet to be born. As News5Cleveland reports, it's only the second time worldwide such an operation has been successfully performed. The...
Inside Newborn's Large
Tummy: Parts of a Twin
Jul 29, 2021 1:11 PM CDT
Inside Newborn's Large Tummy: Parts of a Twin
It's likely a rare case of 'fetus in fetu' in Israel
- A baby girl born in Israel this month is doing well after surgery to remove what is thought to be at least one embryo from her stomach, likely from a twin she absorbed. When the child's mother arrived at Ashdod's Assuta Medical Center to give birth, "we...
Toddler to Release First Album,
Recorded While Still a Fetus
Feb 3, 2021 8:44 AM CST
Toddler to Release First Album, Recorded While Still a Fetus
Luca Yupanqui's 'Sounds of the Unborn' comes out on April 2
- If Nirvana hadn't named its final studio album
, Luca Yupanqui may have had the perfect name for her own debut. Instead, the US toddler will have to settle for the slightly wordier
Sounds of the Unborn
when her album drops on April 2, the results of her...
Mass Grave to Hold 2.4K
Fetal Remains Kept by Doctor
Feb 12, 2020 9:20 AM CST
Mass Grave to Hold 2.4K Fetal Remains Kept by Doctor
Indiana AG Curtis Hill to preside over Wednesday's burial in South Bend
- More than 2,400 fetal remains found in the possession of a late abortion doctor now have a final resting place. All remains will be buried Wednesday in a single grave at Southlawn Cemetery in South Bend, Ind., in compliance with a state law requiring fetal remains be buried or...
New Details in Grim Discovery
in Dead Doctor's Garage
Sep 20, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
New Details in Grim Discovery in Dead Doctor's Garage
Dr. Ulrich Klopfer stored fetal remains going back 2 decades
- Dr. Ulrich Klopfer died on Sept. 3, but it's not his remains that are making headlines. As his widow and her sister began going through his things, they came upon what would ultimately be described as 2,246 fetal remains kept in his garage, all contained within sealed plastic...
Mass Inside Teen
Had Hair, Teeth, and Bone
Aug 30, 2019 11:39 AM CDT
Mass Inside Teen Had Hair, Teeth, and Bone
Indian doctors diagnosed her with 'fetus in fetu'
- About that lump in your abdomen—it was likely your unborn twin. So a teenager in India was told after surgeons removed "hairy cheesy material" from her abdomen two years ago, LiveScience reports. More precisely, the mass measuring 14 by 6 by 4 inches contained apparent ribs and vertebrae...
Pregnant Woman Is Shot,
Then Indicted in Fetus' Death
Jun 27, 2019 12:15 PM CDT
Pregnant Woman Is Shot, Then Indicted in Fetus' Death
Alabama police say Marshae Jones initiated fight that led to unborn baby's death
- A shooting in Alabama has led to manslaughter charges, but little else about the case is typical. The person charged is 27-year-old Marshae Jones of Birmingham, and the victim was her 5-month-old fetus, reports Al.com . Jones is not accused of firing the shots that killed her unborn girl, but...
Georgia Now Has One of the
Strictest Abortion Laws in US
May 7, 2019 11:35 AM CDT
Georgia Now Has One of the Strictest Abortion Laws in US
'We will see Governor Kemp in court'
- One, two, three—and now, four. Georgia has passed a bill banning abortions after a detectable fetal "heartbeat," making it the fourth US state to pass such a law this year, per Vox . "All life has value, all life matters and all life is worthy of protection,...
An Ultrasound Revealed What
Was Inside the Fetus: Her Twin
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 24, 2019 2:35 PM CDT
An Ultrasound Revealed What Was Inside the Fetus: Her Twin
A rare case of fetus-in-fetu in Colombia
- The mother was 35 weeks along when advanced ultrasound imaging was used to investigate a suspected liver cyst in her fetus. It turned out to be something else entirely: a baby within a baby, a twin within her twin. The Colombian case of "fetus-in-fetu," described by the
Yet Another Grim Discovery
in 3rd Michigan Funeral Home
Oct 23, 2018 12:52 PM CDT
Yet Another Grim Discovery in 3rd Michigan Funeral Home
Remains of 2 fetuses found in Owosso
- Decades-old fetal remains have been found at another Michigan funeral home—the third such grim discovery in the state in less than two weeks. An asbestos-removal crew on Monday discovered the remains of two fetuses at the former Mowen Funeral Home in Owosso, about 90 miles northwest of Detroit, reports...
Mother of Fetus Found in
Plane Toilet Identified
Aug 9, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
Mother of Fetus Found in Plane Toilet Identified
18-year-old from Brooklyn may have had 'botched abortion,' per law enforcement officials
- More details are emerging after the gruesome find this week of a fetus in the bathroom of an American Airlines plane at New York's LaGuardia Airport. Law enforcement officials tell the
New York Post
that the mother has been identified as an 18-year-old Brooklyn teen who rushed into the...
In Airplane Bathroom,
a Grisly, Tragic Find
Aug 8, 2018 7:27 AM CDT
In Airplane Bathroom, a Grisly, Tragic Find
Cleaning crew found a dead fetus on American Airlines plane at La Guardia
- American Airlines and New York authorities are investigating after a fetus was found in the lavatory of a plane that arrived at LaGuardia Airport from Charlotte, NC, on Monday. The plane was parked overnight before a cleaner discovered the fetus around 5am Tuesday, report CNN and
. "As we...
There's Not Much
Evidence That Drinking
While Pregnant Is Bad
Sep 12, 2017 7:33 AM CDT
There's Not Much Evidence That Drinking While Pregnant Is Bad
But you shouldn't do it anyway, researchers say
- Researchers say up to 80% of pregnant women in the UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand have had an alcoholic beverage during their pregnancies—some due to the fact that they didn't realize they were pregnant when they threw one back, the
notes. But getting that "positive"...
Parents Say They Spotted
Jesus in Daughter's Sonogram
Aug 25, 2017 9:39 AM CDT
Parents Say They Spotted Jesus in Daughter's Sonogram
Pa. couple marvel at ultrasound photo that shows image that looks like son of God
- We've seen Jesus on an apple , Jesus on a power utility pole , and now, out of Pennsylvania ... Jesus in a sonogram. WPMT reports that a couple there whose older two children were born with birth defects found comfort in the ultrasound for their third, which showed not only the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.