Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Enrique Pena Nieto
Stories 1 - 20 |
Witness Drops Bombshell
in 'El Chapo' Trial
Jan 16, 2019 6:33 AM CST
Witness Drops Bombshell in 'El Chapo' Trial
'Right-hand man' claims Mexican president was given $100M bribe
- Shocking allegations in the "El Chapo" trial: Drug lord Joaquin Guzman paid former Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto $100 million to avoid recapture, and it was Peña Nieto who reached out first, a witness claimed in the trial Tuesday. Alex Cifuentes, a Colombian drug trafficker who describes...
Actress Who Took Sean Penn
to 'El Chapo': Penn Betrayed Me
Dec 22, 2018 5:30 AM CST
Actress Who Took Sean Penn to 'El Chapo': Penn Betrayed Me
Kate del Castillo sues ex-Mexican officials for 'political persecution'
- Actress Kate del Castillo said she's suing former Mexican officials for $60 million in "moral and material damages" because of what she calls "political persecution" against her. Mexican authorities investigated del Castillo following the secret meeting she arranged with Sean Penn and former fugitive drug boss Joaquin...
'Let's Go': a Deal to Change
'Trade Landscape Forever'
Nov 30, 2018 8:25 AM CST
'Let's Go': a Deal to Change 'Trade Landscape Forever'
US, Mexico, Canada sign USMCA, the replacement for NAFTA
- President Trump has joined the leaders of Mexico and Canada to sign a revised North American trade deal. Trump gathered with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and outgoing Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto on the sidelines of Friday's G20 summit in Buenos Aires. The three sat a table, pens...
Mexicans 'Stunned' Over
Decision to Honor Kushner
Nov 28, 2018 8:41 AM CST
Mexicans 'Stunned' Over Decision to Honor Kushner
He'll receive the Order of the Aztec Eagle on Thursday
- Enrique Peña Nieto's final "major" act as president will apparently involve Jared Kushner, and it's one the
describes as having "stunned the country": The Hill reports that before handing over power to incoming president Andrés Manuel López Obrador on Saturday, Peña...
'I Won't Betray the People'
Jul 2, 2018 6:54 AM CDT
Mexico's President-Elect: 'I Won't Betray the People'
Leftist leader wants 'friendship and respect' with the US
- Mexico has a new president-elect —and, like many of his countrymen, Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador is not a big fan of President Trump. The populist leftist leader has denounced the American president as "erratic and arrogant" and published a book last year called "Oye Trump"—"...
Mexico's World Cup Captain
Blacklisted by US
Jun 19, 2018 12:43 PM CDT
Mexico's World Cup Captain Blacklisted by US
Accused of helping a drug lord, Rafael Marquez takes part in 5th tournament
- The captain of Mexico's World Cup squad became one of only three athletes to play in five World Cup tournaments on Sunday. But Rafael "Rafa" Marquez's substitution in a 1-0 win over defending champions Germany, per ESPN , wasn't to be applauded by all onlookers, including in...
After Trump Call,
Scraps US Visit
Feb 25, 2018 1:11 AM CST
After Trump Call, Mexican Prez Scraps US Visit
Border wall appears to be major sticking point as Peña Nieto has yet to visit DC under Trump
- After what the
is calling a "testy" 50-minute phone call between President Trump and his Mexican counterpart, the latter will not be visiting the former as planned. The major sticking point seems to be Trump's border wall, and Enrique Peña Nieto's refusal to pay...
Leaking Trump's Phone Calls
Is 'Shocking and Dangerous'
Aug 3, 2017 2:59 PM CDT
Leaking Trump's Phone Calls Is 'Shocking and Dangerous'
Everything you need to know about the leaked transcripts
- The transcripts of President Trump's conversations with the leaders of Mexico and Australia leaked to the
are giving Americans insight into Trump's negotiating style and how he's relating to America's allies, but David Frum at the
writes the leak of the transcripts is...
to Leaders Leak
Aug 3, 2017 11:07 AM CDT
Transcripts of Trump's Calls to Leaders Leak
The conversations weren't exactly friendly
- If only Anthony Scaramucci were still around to lash out at this leak: The
has obtained classified transcripts of President Trump's initial phone calls with the leaders of Mexico and Australia, produced by White House staff in January. (See them in full here .) Among the highlights:...
Trump Threatens to
Send US Troops to Mexico
Feb 1, 2017 6:09 PM CST
Trump Threatens to Send US Troops to Mexico
'I think your military is scared. Our military isn't'
- President Trump threatened in a phone call with his Mexican counterpart to send US troops to stop "bad hombres down there" unless the Mexican military does more to control them, according to an excerpt of a transcript of the conversation obtained by the AP . The excerpt of the call...
Trump Offers Up
One Idea to Pay
for Border Wall
Jan 26, 2017 3:34 PM CST
Trump Offers Up One Idea to Pay for Border Wall
A 20% tax on imports from Mexico
- President Donald Trump may want to pay for his proposed southern border wall by slapping a 20% tax on imports from Mexico, the AP reported Thursday, though Trump's team quickly walked back the idea. White House spokesperson Sean Spicer, speaking to reporters on Air Force One as Trump flew...
Jan 26, 2017 11:49 AM CST
Mexican Prez Axes Meeting After Trump Tweet
It appears Mexico is serious about not paying for Trump's border wall
- "If Mexico is unwilling to pay for the badly needed wall, then it would be better to cancel the upcoming meeting," President Trump tweeted early Thursday. Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto, who reiterated Wednesday that Mexico wouldn't be funding the wall , wasted little time in doing...
Mexico: 'We Don't
Believe in Walls,'
Won't Be Paying
Jan 26, 2017 5:32 AM CST
Mexico: 'We Don't Believe in Walls,' Won't Be Paying
Peña Nieto says 'I regret and condemn the decision' to move forward on border wall
- Tension between President Trump and Mexico over his border wall plans was probably inevitable, though not everybody expected it to flare up before his administration was a week old. After Trump signed an executive order Wednesday and promised to start building the wall within months , Mexican President Enrique Peña...
Mexico on Reimbursing
Trump for Wall: Um, Nope
Jan 12, 2017 8:33 AM CST
Mexico on Reimbursing Trump for Wall: Um, Nope
Peña Nieto is willing to work with US on other issues, but says 'of course' it won't pay
- At his press conference Wednesday, Donald Trump revisited his new plan to get Congress to pay for his border wall and get Mexico to reimburse the American taxpayer, noting, "What's the difference? I want to get the wall started." And even as the Mexican peso simultaneously hit...
Mexico: We're Still Not
Paying for Trump's Wall
Nov 10, 2016 1:19 AM CST
Mexico: We're Still Not Paying for Trump's Wall
Victory means trouble ahead for country's economy
- Mexico's leaders say they're willing to work with Donald Trump—but they're still not paying for his border wall. Paying for a wall is "out of our vision," and "the vision that we have is a vision of integration, of how Mexico and the...
Police Rape of 11
Come Back to
Sep 23, 2016 2:35 PM CDT
Police Rape of 11 Women Could Come Back to Mexico President
Enrique Peña Nieto ordered a crackdown on protesters in 2006
- The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights is demanding a full-scale investigation into the rape of at least 11 women at the hands of Mexican police during a crackdown on protesters in 2006—a crackdown ordered by now-President Enrique Peña Nieto. Fox News Latino reports Peña Nieto was the...
Mastermind Behind Trump's
Visit to Mexico Quits
Sep 8, 2016 12:03 AM CDT
Mastermind Behind Trump's Visit to Mexico Quits
Finance minister was blamed for deeply unpopular trip
- One of President Enrique Peña Nieto's closest advisers and confidants, Finance Secretary Luis Videgaray, has resigned in a move seen as linked to the unpopular decision to invite Donald Trump to visit Mexico , the AP reports. Peña Nieto has taken responsibility for inviting Trump, but a former...
Trump in Mexico: We 'Didn't
Discuss Payment of the Wall'
Aug 31, 2016 5:20 PM CDT
Trump in Mexico: We 'Didn't Discuss Payment of the Wall'
But President Enrique Peña Nieto says otherwise
- In a situation that was unthinkable just 24 hours ago, Donald Trump and Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto gave a joint press conference Wednesday in Mexico City following an hour-long meeting between the two, reports the
Los Angeles Times
, which calls Trump's jaunt to Mexico both "hastily...
Trump to Make
Aug 31, 2016 5:58 AM CDT
Trump to Make Surprise Visit to Mexico
He plans to meet President Enrique Peña Nieto before immigration speech
- Before his big immigration speech on Wednesday , Donald Trump plans to visit somewhere where he is hated so much that he is regularly burnt in effigy during parties—and it's not Ted Cruz's house. Instead, Trump will make a surprise visit to Mexico to meet President Enrique Peñ...
Mar 7, 2016 5:00 PM CST
Mexican Prez: Donald Trump Reminds Me of Hitler, Mussolini
President Enrique Pena Nieto issues a warning
- Glenn Beck and Louis CK aren't the only ones comparing Donald Trump to Hitler . Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto today issued a warning about the Republican presidential front-runner, who has said Mexico will pay for a US border wall to keep out illegal immigrants, Reuters reports. "There is...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Trump Aides Struggle on White Supremacist Dinner
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
DEA's Most Corrupt Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
Odell Beckham Jr. Escorted Off Flight
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.