Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Syrian civil war
Stories 1 - 20 |
His Daughter Froze to Death. She Wasn't the Only One
The battle for Idlib is causing a mass exodus, and children are dying
- If you've grown somewhat numb to the nine-year-old Syrian civil war, this week's headlines may be enough to give you a jolt: "Syria's worst humanitarian catastrophe in its ... civil war is now unfolding," proclaims Vox . "Children Freeze to Death as Attack Prompts Largest Exodus...
Thursday Deaths Mark Serious Escalation in Syria
Attack raises risk of Turkey, Russia confrontation
- Turkey says a Syrian government airstrike on its forces in northwestern Syria Thursday night killed 33 of its troops, the highest number of Turkish soldiers killed in a single day since Ankara first intervened in the Syrian conflict in 2016. The deaths were a serious escalation in the direct conflict...
Assad Wins Back 'Coveted Prize' in Syria's Civil War
Loss of M5 is a massive blow to rebels
- It is arguably one of the most coveted prizes in Syria's civil war, and after eight years of fighting, Syrian President Bashar Assad has got it back. The Damascus-Aleppo highway, or the M5, is known to Syrians simply as the "International Road." Cutting through all of Syria'...
Report: Airstrikes Triggered 'Huge Explosion' on Syria-Iraq Border
Activists say unidentified planes hit targets
- Unidentified planes struck targets in Syria near the border with Iraq on Friday, reports said, triggering "a huge explosion" amid soaring tensions in the region between the US and Iran. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the planes targeted positions belonging to pro-Iran militias in the Boukamal area,...
Report: Trump Now Plans to Send Tanks, More Troops to Syria
He says Kurds should 'head to oil region'
- America will never desert Syria's oil, President Trump promised Thursday—and he suggested that if the Kurds want protection, they should move closer to the oil. Syria's oil fields "were held by ISIS until the United States took them over with the help of the Kurds,"...
New Syria Proposal: Internationally Controlled 'Security Zone'
Ceasefire is set to expire
- Germany's defense minister proposed Tuesday the establishment of an internationally controlled security zone in Syria, hours before a five-day ceasefire between Turkish troops and Syrian Kurdish fighters was set to expire in the war-torn country. Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer told German news agency dpa that "the creation of an internationally...
Turkey Rejects Calls for Syria Ceasefire
Turkish leader says he's 'not concerned' by US sanctions
- Russia said it was working to prevent a conflict between advancing Turkish and Syrian government forces on Wednesday, as Turkey's president defied growing pressure and sanctions from Western allies for a ceasefire in northern Syria. Russia moved quickly to further entrench its leadership role in the region after President...
ISIS Down to Its Last Scrap of Land
Group's last stronghold in Iraq and Syria is the size of Central Park
- The territory of the sprawling caliphate ISIS declared in 2014 should be completely liberated from the group by next week, President Trump announced Wednesday at a meeting of coalition partners. "Their land is gone. It's a big factor—their land is gone," the president told a gathering...
Israel Makes Rare Move After Syria Airstrikes
Military confirms that it hit Iranian targets
- In an extraordinary statement, the Israeli military confirmed early Monday that it attacked Iranian military targets in Syria, hours after carrying out a rare daylight air raid near the Damascus International Airport. The statement was issued hours after Israeli missile defenses intercepted an incoming missile over the Golan Heights in...
Bolton: US Will Stay in Syria as Long as It Takes
He says there's no longer a fixed timetable
- The timeline for the withdrawal of American troops from Syria has gone from 30 days to four months and now to no fixed date, according to John Bolton. He said "certain objectives" must be met before an American withdrawal could happen, the
reports. Bolton said there was...
Trump Warns Syria, Iran, Russia Against 'Grave Mistake'
He says 'reckless attack' on Idlib would trigger crisis
- President Trump sent a tweet Monday warning Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his allies against a "reckless attack" on Idlib province. "The Russians and Iranians would be making a grave humanitarian mistake to take part in this potential human tragedy. Hundreds of thousands of people could be killed....
She Vanished in 2013. The AP Went Looking for Her
Razan Zaitouneh was kidnapped in Douma, Syria
- Razan Zaitouneh earned enemies on all sides of her homeland's civil war. One of Syria's most well-known rights activists, she chanted in protests against President Bashar Assad, but she was also unflinching in documenting abuses by rebels fighting to oust him. Then she vanished. Her fate has been...
In Unprecedented Move, Israel Evacuates White Helmets
Syria's vaunted rescuers pulled from Golan Heights frontier in 'exceptional humanitarian gesture'
- The Israeli military evacuated hundreds of members of the White Helmets, a Syrian volunteer organization, from the volatile frontier area on the Golan Heights and transported them to Jordan, reports the AP . It was the first such Israeli intervention in Syria's lengthy civil war, now in its eighth year....
Syria Army Celebrates 'Total Recapture' of Damascus
Military in full control for first time since 2011
- Syrian state TV says the military and police forces are celebrating recapturing the last neighborhoods in Damascus that were held by the rebels and ISIS militants. Al-Ikhbariya TV broadcast footage of a ceremonial police motorcade entering the Hajar al-Aswad neighborhood with sirens blaring on Tuesday. The state broadcaster then showed...
Israel Hits 'Nearly All' Iranian Targets in Syria
It was biggest-ever confrontation between Israel, Iran
- Israel's defense minister says the military has struck "nearly all" of the Iranian infrastructure sites in Syria. Avigdor Lieberman says Israel responded fiercely to an unprecedented rocket attack by Iranian forces in Syria against Israel. He says no one was harmed in Israel and all the rockets were...
Syria Slams 'US Aggression' as Missiles Hit Air Base
Activists say strike killed at least 14
- In what Syria's state-run news agency says was probably an act of "American aggression," missiles hit an air base in central Syria early Monday. Syrian activists say the strike killed at least 14 people, including Iranian citizens and fighters with Iran-backed groups, the AP reports. The US...
In a Syrian Rebel-Held Town, a Fresh Horror
Rescuers say at least 40 are dead in apparent chemical attack
- Syrian opposition activists and rescuers said Sunday that a poison gas attack on a rebel-held town near the capital has killed at least 40 people, reports the AP . The alleged attack in Douma occurred late Saturday amid a resumed offensive by Syrian government forces after the collapse of a truce...
Children Are 'Dying Today in Full View of the World'
Rescue workers say Ghouta violence is 'insane'
- A top UN aid official appealed to the Syrian government and its Russian backers for a cessation of hostilities in eastern Ghouta on Thursday when a second convoy with desperately needed aid was postponed after government forces split the enclave in two, creating an evolving, unpredictable situation on the ground....
UNICEF on Syria: 'We No Longer Have the Words'
Neighborhood of Eastern Ghouta is the latest flashpoint in civil war
- The name Eastern Ghouta may not be a familiar one, but the neighborhood near the Syrian capital of Damascus is now making international headlines for all the wrong reasons. The enclave of 22 communities happens to be the last opposition-controlled region near the capital, and it's been the target...
US Launches Airstrikes on Syrian Regime-Backed Troops
It was self-defense, officials say
- The US military launched airstrikes on Syrian government-backed troops Wednesday after as many as 500 attackers began what a US military official says appeared to be a coordinated assault on Syrian opposition forces accompanied by US advisers in Deir el-Zour province. The official says the strikes were in self-defense after...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Markle Makes Devastating Reveal, Finds 'Path to Healing'
2 Weeks in Quarantine? That May Be Changing
What Happened in This Wawa Did Not Stay in This Wawa
'80s Star Explains Support of Kyle Rittenhouse
A 2019 Interview About Actors of Color Is Going Viral
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.