Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Nobel Prize in Chemistry Winners Revealed in Rare Leak
We're Getting a Meteor
Shower Thursday Night
Nov 17, 2022 4:10 PM CST
We're Getting a Meteor Shower Thursday Night
It's time for the Leonids to return, and it may be stronger than usual
- It's time for the annual Leonid meteor shower. Skywatchers who venture out between midnight and dawn Thursday night into Friday morning should get a treat, reports
. For those who can't make it, Friday night into Saturday morning also should provide an opportunity. The Leonids typically offer...
Nov 17, 2019 8:43 AM CST
Coming to Tonight's Sky: The Leonids
Meteor shower will peak overnight, but look out for that moon
- If you've been over
Dancing With the Stars
for at least a dozen years, the home of the actual stars is offering you some alternative Sunday night entertainment. The Leonid meteor shower—so named because it appears to originate in the constellation Leo—will peak overnight, clocking in at...
Get Ready, Night Owls:
Leonids Return This Weekend
Nov 16, 2018 8:48 AM CST
Get Ready, Night Owls: Leonids Return This Weekend
Peak viewing time is before dawn on Sunday
- It's time again for the Leonids, the meteor shower repeated annually in mid-November. It comes as Earth passes through a trail of debris left by the comet 55P/Tempel-Tuttle, which orbits the sun once every 33 years. Earth will pass through the thickest part of debris at 7pm EST Saturday,...
Nov 17, 2015 8:52 AM CST
Leonid Meteor Shower Returns
Peak time for viewing is midnight across the US
- Get ready to tune your eyes on the sky: The annual Leonid meteor shower will hit its peak overnight on Tuesday, sending shooting stars above the eastern horizon around midnight local time on both coasts. Unfortunately, clouds will cover much of the skies across the US, but those in areas...
Nov 15, 2013 4:37 PM CST
Leonid Meteor Shower Peaks This Weekend
But the full moon is working against sky-watchers this time
- The annual Leonid meteor shower arrives this weekend, so prepare to be ... not quite dazzled. As it happens, the full moon also arrives this weekend, which is going to cut down on the number of streaks you see, reports
. The Leonids' peak comes in the predawn hours of...
Meteor Shower Tonight
Nov 16, 2012 3:24 PM CST
Meteor Shower Tonight
Leonids peak overnight
- The Leonid meteor shower is making its annual November visit, and it peaks overnight tonight, reports ABC News . The Leonids generally aren't the most spectacular of shows, but patient sky-watchers will likely be rewarded given the young moon. If you can't get outside, NASA plans a live feed...
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
Pope's Comments on Same-Sex Unions Make Waves
Webb Telescope Makes 'Baffling' Discovery
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.