Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Rodman: 'I Got
Go to Russia to
Help That Girl'
Aug 22, 2022 6:03 AM CDT
Rodman: 'I Got Permission to Go to Russia to Help That Girl'
NBA legend hopes to leave this week to advocate for Brittney Griner's release
- NBA alum Dennis Rodman says he's received permission to go to Russia to appeal for the release of WNBA star Brittney Griner and could depart soon. "I got permission to go to Russia to help that girl. I'm trying to go this week," he told NBC...
US Spy Chief
North Korea Visit
Mar 3, 2015 5:12 AM CST
US Spy Chief Describes Weird North Korea Visit
Banquet was followed by security warning
- The North Koreans are generous but perplexing hosts, according to National Intelligence Director James Clapper. According to Reuters , the spy chief says that during his secret mission to Pyongyang last November to bring two Americans home , a general treated him to a "marvelous" 12-course banquet at a restaurant that...
Why Obama Sent Our
Top Spy to North Korea
Nov 10, 2014 8:00 AM CST
Why Obama Sent Our Top Spy to North Korea
James Clapper retrieved Kenneth Bae and Matthew Todd Miller
- One-time North Korean prisoners Kenneth Bae and Matthew Todd Miller are back on US soil, having landed Saturday night near Tacoma, Wash. They were retrieved by National Intelligence Director James Clapper, and the
New York Times
today reads into the decision to send Clapper—rather than a senior diplomat—to...
Bae Nods to
'Amazing 2 Years'
as Captives Return
Nov 9, 2014 5:44 AM CST
Bae Nods to 'Amazing 2 Years' as Captives Return
DNI James Clapper secured release of prisoners from North Korea
- The last two Americans being held captive by North Korea returned home last night. Kenneth Bae and Matthew Miller landed at a Washington state military base after their departure was secured through a secret mission by James Clapper, director of national intelligence. Bae, surrounded by family members, spoke briefly after...
Nov 8, 2014 9:34 AM CST
North Korea Frees Last 2 Americans
Matthew Miller and Kenneth Bae are released
- No more Americans are being held in North Korea: Pyongyang today released Kenneth Bae and Matthew Miller, both of whom had been sentenced to years of hard labor, reports CNN . As with the recent release of Jeffrey Fowle , it wasn't clear what prompted the move, though the State Department...
Yes, I Planted
Bible in N. Korea
Nov 1, 2014 11:29 AM CDT
Freed American: Yes, I Planted Bible in N. Korea
Jeffrey Fowle admits he was trying to help 'underground' Christians
- When North Korea imprisoned American tourist Jeffrey Fowle, it accused him of planting a Bible in a bid to spread Christianity. A family spokesperson denied at the time that he was on a religious mission, but now that he's free, Fowle admits that Pyongyang was right. "I did,...
N. Korea Releases
Oct 21, 2014 12:37 PM CDT
N. Korea Releases American Detainee
Jeffrey Fowle is on his way to Guam; 2 others still held
- Jeffrey Fowle, one of three Americans being held in North Korea, was released today after six months in custody and is currently aboard an American plane bound for Guam, reports CNN . A State Department official confirmed the release of Fowle, an Ohio resident who was suspected of leaving a Bible...
in North Korea
Sep 25, 2014 5:20 AM CDT
American Held in North Korea Describes Prison Life
Matthew Miller says he's isolated, works in fields
- North Korea claims Matthew Miller wanted to be a "second Snowden" and to expose human rights abuses in its penal system—and whatever the truth is, the 24-year-old from Bakersfield, Calif., is getting as close a look at the country's prisons as anybody could wish for. Miller has...
to Be 'Second
Sep 20, 2014 9:39 AM CDT
North Korea: American Wanted to Be 'Second Snowden'
Matthew Miller is now serving 6 years of hard labor
- North Korea today piled more accusations upon a 25-year-old American arrested there and sentenced to six years' hard labor . The state-run Korean Central News Agency says Matthew Miller entered the country on a tourist visa from South Korea and deliberately got himself arrested by tearing up his visa in order...
N. Korea Is
Says N. Korea
Sep 17, 2014 10:06 AM CDT
N. Korea Is Fabulous on Human Rights, Says N. Korea
Rambling report says country has 'world's most advantageous human-rights system'
- North Korea's war of words has taken quite the turn. After being accused by the UN earlier this year of "unspeakable atrocities" against its people, the country blasted the US as the "world's worst human rights abuser." But it has now stepped back from name-calling...
to 6 Years
Sep 14, 2014 5:32 AM CDT
North Korea Sentences American to 6 Years
Californian Matthew Miller, 24, held since April
- North Korea's Supreme Court has sentenced Matthew Miller, a US citizen, to six years with labor for entering the country illegally and trying to commit an act of espionage. The court said today that the 24-year-old Miller, of Bakersfield, Calif., tore up his tourist visa at Pyongyang's airport...
Held in N. Korea:
Situation Is Urgent
Sep 1, 2014 7:37 AM CDT
3 Americans Held in N. Korea: Situation Is Urgent
Kenneth Bae, 2 others get 5 minutes each to talk about conditions
- The foreign media was caught off guard today after North Korea allowed reporters to speak to three Americans detained there, reports the AP . Kenneth Bae, Matthew Todd Miller, and Jeffrey Edward Fowle were each given five minutes for a TV interview with CNN , which aired their statements about their conditions...
2 Americans to US:
Free Us From North Korea
Aug 2, 2014 4:58 PM CDT
2 Americans to US: Free Us From North Korea
Jeffrey Fowle, Matthew Miller fear lengthy imprisonment
- A pair of Americans detained months ago in North Korea have a message for Washington: Help us get home. Jeffrey Fowle, 56, and Matthew Miller, 24, haven't been seen since they were detained, on separate occasions, by Pyongyang, but they were recently allowed to speak to the AP in...
North Korea Arrests American Tourist
Jun 6, 2014 5:56 AM CDT
North Korea Arrests American Tourist
That's No. 3
- An American tourist has been detained in North Korea for allegedly committing an unspecified crime. The Korean Central News Agency says that authorities are investigating the American for committing "acts inconsistent with the purpose of a tourist visit." He is identified as Jeffrey Edward Fowle, who entered the...
in N. Korea
to Labor Camp
Feb 7, 2014 5:36 PM CST
American Held in N. Korea Sent Back to Labor Camp
Kenneth Bae leaves hospital, and his family is worried
- US missionary Kenneth Bae has been sent back to the grind of a labor camp in North Korea. The State Department informed his family that the 45-year-old was discharged from the hospital—where he had gone after dropping 50 pounds—and ordered back to a prison work camp, reports AP...
Admits to Crime
Against N. Korea
Jan 20, 2014 7:49 AM CST
Jailed American Admits to Crime Against N. Korea
Kenneth Bae appeals to US to work with Pyongyang for his release
- Imprisoned American missionary Kenneth Bae appeared at a press conference in North Korea today and admitted to committing a "serious crime" against the country. He also insisted Pyongyang does "not abuse human rights," CNN reports, citing Xinhua. Bae, who has been jailed for more than a year,...
About N. Korea
I Was Drunk
Jan 9, 2014 7:19 AM CST
Rodman: Sorry About N. Korea Comments, I Was Drunk
'I embarrassed a lot of people'
- Too many cold ones with Kim Jong Un? Dennis Rodman blames booze and the collapse of his North Korean "basketball diplomacy" dreams for his bizarre outburst about imprisoned American missionary Kenneth Bae. "It had been a very stressful day," the former NBA star tells the AP . "...
Has Meltdown in
N. Korea Interview
Jan 7, 2014 10:30 AM CST
Dennis Rodman Has Meltdown in N. Korea Interview
Doesn't handle question about Kenneth Bae well, to say the least
- Here's a sampling of the headlines circulating your Internet regarding Dennis Rodman's ...
interview with CNN this morning from North Korea :
"Dennis Rodman Loses It During CNN Interview from Pyongyang" ( The Wire )
"Dennis Rodman Launches Into A Weird, Screaming Rant During CNN Interview" (
N. Korea Detains Another American—and He's 85
Nov 20, 2013 6:37 PM CST
N. Korea Detains Another American—and He's 85
Palo Alto tourist Merrill Newman has been held for 3 weeks
- Kenneth Bae may have some company: North Korea detained an 85-year-old American tourist from California three weeks ago, reports the Bay Area News Group . The report says Merrill Newman—who fought in the Korean War—got yanked off a tourist plane that was about to leave the country last...
US Prisoner in N. Korea
Gets Visit From Mom
Oct 11, 2013 11:45 AM CDT
US Prisoner in N. Korea Gets Visit From Mom
Kenneth Bae doesn't look 'that bad' in Pyongyang hospital, says mom
- Nearly a year after his arrest and a month after talks to release an American prisoner in North Korea broke down , Myunghee Bae has finally seen her ailing son . North Korean authorities granted her a visit to Kenneth Bae in a Pyongang hospital, reports CNN . They reportedly met today for...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
2 Cosby Show Guest Actors Join Sexual Assault Lawsuit
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.