Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Islamic State 'Beatle' Guilty
in Deaths of Americans
Apr 14, 2022 12:53 PM CDT
Islamic State 'Beatle' Guilty in Deaths of Americans
El Shafee Elsheikh, convicted on all counts, faces life in prison
- A jury convicted a British national Thursday for his role in an Islamic State group hostage-taking scheme that took roughly two dozen Westerners captive a decade ago, resulting in the deaths of four Americans, three of whom were beheaded. The jury deliberated for four hours before finding El Shafee Elsheikh...
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad
Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Apr 7, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Peter Kassig, killed in 2014, wrote that his last thought would be of the love of his parents
- If Peter Kassig was true to his word, the only thought running through his mind as he was beheaded by Islamic State terrorists was how much his parents loved him. Ed Kassig, the father of the US aid worker who was taken hostage in Syria in 2013 and killed a...
In Case of the ISIS
'Beatles,' a Milestone
Oct 7, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
In Case of the ISIS 'Beatles,' a Milestone
El Shafee Elsheikh, Alexanda Kotey are indicted, accused of beheadings, torture of Westerners
- The Justice Department unsealed charges Wednesday against two Islamic State militants from Britain, accusing them of carrying out a gruesome campaign of torture, beheadings, and other acts of violence against Western hostages they'd captured in Syria, including four Americans. El Shafee Elsheikh and Alexanda Kotey are two of four...
Hostage Last Seen in Video
2 Years Ago May Be Alive
Feb 5, 2019 9:20 AM CST
Hostage Last Seen in Video 2 Years Ago May Be Alive
John Cantlie was kidnapped in 2012
- In November 2012, British war photographer John Cantlie and American journalist James Foley were kidnapped in Syria and held by ISIS. In August 2014, Foley was beheaded. Now comes word that the British government believes Cantlie is still alive more than six years later, and still being held by ISIS....
FBI Testing Possible
Remains of ISIS Hostages
Apr 4, 2018 2:37 AM CDT
FBI Testing Possible Remains of ISIS Hostages
Captured 'Beatles' provided info on burial sites
- The families of American hostages murdered by ISIS in Syria may finally be able to lay their loved ones to rest. Officials and relatives tells ABC News that human remains in areas of Syria liberated from the group are being tested by the FBI Laboratory in Quantico, Va., though it...
Captured ISIS Fighters Might
Know Where Mueller's Body Is
Feb 23, 2018 10:41 AM CST
Captured ISIS Fighters Might Know Where Mueller's Body Is
They're said to be pointing out grave sites
- The capture of two ISIS fighters who may know the whereabouts of Kayla Mueller's body has raised hope that her parents might finally be able to put their daughter to rest. ISIS said the aid worker kidnapped in Syria in 2013 was killed in 2015 when a Jordanian airstrike...
Cost Le Pen
Mar 2, 2017 12:47 PM CST
Disturbing ISIS Tweets Cost Le Pen Immunity
After EU Parliament vote, French prosecutors can now dive into investigation of postings
- French presidential candidate Marine Le Pen lost EU parliamentary immunity Thursday by "a large show of hands," Reuters reports, giving prosecutors more leeway to investigate tweets she posted in December 2015. The offending tweets included graphic imagery of executions carried out by the Islamic State, the
to Obama: Save
Jun 23, 2016 12:22 PM CDT
Families of Slain Hostages to Obama: Save Austin Tice
US journalist is being held captive in Syria
- American journalist Austin Tice—believed to be the only US reporter held hostage anywhere in the world—was captured in Syria in August 2012. Since then, US hostages James Foley , Peter Kassig , Kayla Mueller , and Steven Sotloff have been killed, and their families fear Tice's parents will soon have...
Foley's Parents on
Jihadi John News:
US Doesn't Get It
Nov 13, 2015 9:18 AM CST
Foley's Parents on Jihadi John News: US Doesn't Get It
More effort should've gone toward hostages than to 'deranged man,' they say
- We may never have to see "Jihadi John" again thanks to a drone strike that may have taken him ou t Thursday night. Though reports on Mohammed Emwazi's reported demise have yet to be confirmed, British PM David Cameron noted at a Friday press conference that "I'...
US: We Won't Prosecute Families for Paying Ransom
Jun 23, 2015 1:03 PM CDT
US: We Won't Prosecute Families for Paying Ransom
Review of policy comes after criticism from relatives of slain ISIS captives
- The Obama administration will tell families of Americans held by terror groups that they can communicate with captors and even pay ransom without fear of prosecution—part of a broad review of US hostage guidelines that will be released tomorrow. President Obama ordered the review last fall after the deaths...
US to Back
Off Threat to
Who Pay Ransom
Apr 26, 2015 1:03 PM CDT
US to Back Off Threat to Hostage Families Who Pay Ransom
Won't face jail time; James Foley's mom says gov't 'trying to make it right'
- In the wake of James Foley's murder in the Syrian desert, his grief-stricken mother very publicly berated the American government for not doing all it could to free him—and for threatening the Foleys "very clearly three times that it was illegal for us to try to ransom...
Report: US Sat on Info
About Hostages' Location
Feb 12, 2015 4:26 PM CST
Report: US Sat on Info About Hostages' Location
Daily Beast says US waited a month to act on British intelligence
- A few weeks after the US staged a failed rescue mission last July to retrieve ISIS hostages Kayla Mueller , James Foley , and Steven Sotloff , the Muslim insurgents started sending out a gruesome chain of beheading videos. Now US and UK officials are saying that the hostages had been moved just...
$1M for Body
of James Foley
Dec 11, 2014 8:25 AM CST
ISIS Wants $1M for Body of James Foley
Islamic State now trying to ransom his remains
- The Islamic State couldn't get a ransom for James Foley while he was alive, but now the group wants to collect one for his remains, reports BuzzFeed . The website quotes three sources as saying that ISIS will turn over the American journalist's body for $1 million and provide...
US to Review
How We Handle
Nov 18, 2014 7:30 AM CST
US to Review How We Handle Hostage Cases
'Increased frequency of hostage-taking' abroad spurs effort
- Amid ISIS' continued onslaught against American hostages and widespread criticism of the White House's response, President Obama has ordered a review of policy in handling hostage situations abroad, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. The move comes "as a result of the increased frequency of hostage-taking of Americans overseas,...
Litany of Horror
Oct 26, 2014 11:33 AM CDT
For ISIS Hostages, a Litany of Horror Before Death
Americans, Brits bore brunt of excruciating abuse for months
- When James Foley was forced to his knees in the sands outside Raqqa, stared straight into a camera, and met his unimaginably horrifying and public death at the hands of the Islamic State, the world recoiled at the brutality. But Foley's execution—and those that followed—was the culmination...
Sep 25, 2014 1:38 PM CDT
FBI: We've Identified 'Jihadi John'
But FBI Director James Comey isn't making the information public
- The US believes it has identified the British-accented masked man in videos related to the beheadings of two American journalists and a British aid worker. But FBI chief James Comey told reporters that he would not reveal the man's name or nationality. Comey did not address whether the US...
We Did Not
TALK SHOW ROUNDUP
Sep 14, 2014 1:11 PM CDT
White House: We Did Not Threaten Foleys or Sotloffs
'We made clear what the law is,' when families weighed paying ransom
- The White House hit back at allegations from the families of James Foley and Steven Sotloff that they were threatened with prosecution as they weighed whether to pay Islamic State militants ransom for their sons. "In terms of what was communicated to the families, in the midst of many,...
Mom Rips US
Over Son's Death
Sep 11, 2014 5:27 PM CDT
James Foley's Mom Rips US Over Son's Death
Says government threatened to prosecute if family paid a ransom
- James Foley's mother has some blistering words for the US government in how it handled her son's abduction . In an interview with Anderson Cooper that airs tonight on CNN , Diane Foley says she is "embarrassed and appalled" at how American officials acted. Officials threatened family members with...
Sotloff Family Rep
Leader to Debate
Sep 3, 2014 6:15 PM CDT
Sotloff Family Rep Challenges ISIS Leader to Debate
Says slain journalist wasn't a 'war junkie' or a hero, just a 'mere man'
- The family of Steven Sotloff has broken its silence in the wake of the journalist's execution with a message equal parts tribute and defiance. Sotloff was neither a "war junkie" nor a "hero," says family spokesman Barak Barfi. "He was a mere man who tried...
Chase ISIS to
'Gates of Hell'
Sep 3, 2014 3:26 PM CDT
Biden: We'll Chase ISIS to 'Gates of Hell'
While Hagel reiterates that US will 'degrade and destroy' the group
- Joe Biden today said America will follow the terrorists who posted videos showing the beheading of two journalists "to the gates of hell." Speaking at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, Biden said the Islamic State militant group responsible for beheading James Foley and Steven Sotloff won't intimidate the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Arrest Made in Ambush Murder of Microsoft Exec
After Boy, 6, Shoots Teacher, Superintendent Shown the Door
DA Says Mother Will Be Charged With Killing 2 Kids
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.