Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
North Korea missile launch
Stories 1 - 20 |
North Korea May Be Nearly Ready to Test New Missile
Launch from submarine of a new system would violate Trump's mandate
- North Korea is showing signs of preparing for a test launch of a medium-range ballistic missile, a step that would cross lines set by President Trump. Experts at the Center for Strategic and International Studies see indications of planning for a submarine-based launch in satellite images taken Friday, NBC News...
N. Korea Fires Weapons After Threat of 'Momentous Action'
Japan says at least 3 ballistic missiles were fired
- North Korea fired three short-range projectiles off its east coast on Monday, South Korea’s military said, two days after the North threatened to take “momentous” action to protest outside condemnation over its earlier live-fire exercises. Seoul’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the three launches were made from...
North Korea Fires Unidentified Projectiles
Coronavirus may have caused lull in testing
- North Korea fired two unidentified projectiles into its eastern sea on Monday, having apparently resumed weapons demonstrations after a months-long hiatus that could have been forced by the coronavirus crisis in Asia. The launches came two days after North Korea’s state media said leader Kim Jong Un supervised an...
Kim Says N. Korea Needs to Take 'Offensive Measures'
He may be hinting at a resumption of nuclear testing
- The start of the year 2020—or, in North Korea, the year 109—is approaching and observers fear Kim Jong Un might be planning something big. According to North Korean state media, the dictator told a meeting of the ruling Workers' Party Central Committee on Sunday that North Korea needs...
Just After Midnight, NK 'Gift' Was Sent. Except It Wasn't
Public broadcaster NHK sent out incorrect report that North Korea had launched a missile
- North Korea's " Christmas gift " to the US never came (at least that we know of), but a news alert sent in Japan early Friday temporarily scared people into thinking the gift had been delivered. Reuters reports that a few minutes after midnight, public broadcaster NHK put out...
Could N. Korea's 'Christmas Gift' Be on the Way?
Signs of activity at long-range missile site
- North Korea is undergoing a flurry of activity around the holidays, but predictably not of the merry variety: "There is activity at a number of locations indicating that North Korea is laying the groundwork for an expansion of their ICBM program—more systems, more buildings, more capabilities," Jeffrey...
North Korea: 'Rocket Man' Lived Up to His Nickname
Pyongyang says its latest missile test was 'crucial'
- North Korea has done it again, or so it says. Pyongyang announced Saturday it had conducted a "crucial test" at its site for long-range rockets—an apparent chess move with Washington amid their stalled denuclearization talks, NBC News reports. The Korean Central News Agency didn't provide details or...
North Korea Conducts 'Very Important Test'
Dec. 31 deadline is looming
- North Korea said Sunday that it carried out a “very important test” at its long-range rocket launch site that it reportedly rebuilt after having partially dismantled it at the start of denuclearization talks with the United States last year. The announcement comes amid dimming prospects for a resumption of...
N. Korea Boasts About 'Super-Large' Rocket Launcher
Weapons system may be deployed soon
- North Korea said Friday the latest test-firing of its "super-large" multiple rocket launcher was a final review of the weapon’s combat application, a suggestion that the country is preparing to deploy the new weapons system soon. South Korea’s military earlier said North Korea fired two projectiles , likely...
As Clock Runs Out on Dec. 31 Deadline, North Makes a Move
If launch is confirmed to be a missile test, it would be 13th since May
- North Korea hadn't launched a missile since Halloween ; that may have changed on Thanksgiving. South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said the North fired two short-range projectiles from the country's east on Thursday. Both landed in the sea and were likely fired from a "super-large" multiple...
US, North Korea Launch New Talks in Sweden
But they break down, and North Korean official complains
- American and North Korean officials met Saturday in Sweden to resume talks—and walked away only hours later, Reuters reports. "The negotiations have not fulfilled our expectation and finally broke off," said Pyongyang's top negotiator, Kim Myong Gil. "The US raised expectations by offering suggestions like...
North Korea's Latest Launch Was a 'Grave Moment'
New missile can be launched from submarine
- North Korea has confirmed that its latest missile launch involved a new kind of ballistic missile—and it's one that has other countries very worried. Pyongyang says the missile launched early Wednesday was a Pukguksong-3 submarine-launched ballistic missile, which state news agency KCNA said "ushered in a new...
N. Korea May Have Alarming New Capability
Latest missile possibly submarine-launched
- North Korea fired a ballistic missile toward the sea Wednesday, South Korea's military said, in a display of its expanding military capabilities hours after saying it would resume nuclear diplomacy with the US this weekend. South Korean officials said the missile was fired from North Korea's eastern waters,...
N. Korea Fires Projectiles, Rules Out Talks With South
Pyongyang mocks Moon's call for dialogue
- North Korea on Friday bluntly criticized South Korean President Moon Jae-in for continuing to hold military exercises with the US and over his rosy comments on inter-Korean diplomacy, and said Pyongyang has no current plans to talk with Seoul. The statement by an unidentified government spokesman came hours before South...
On Thursday, a 'Beautiful' Letter From Kim. On Saturday, a New Launch
North Korea fired what appeared to be 2 short-range ballistic missiles into the sea on Saturday
- After four rounds of reported missile launches over the last two weeks, North Korea has apparently added a fifth. Per the AP , South Korea's military says that on Saturday, the North fired from its east coast what appeared to be two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea between Japan...
Newest Reported Launches by N. Korea a 'Warning' to US
Kim Jong Un oversaw demo of 2 missiles in response to US, S. Korea's joint military exercises
- North Korea said Wednesday leader Kim Jong Un supervised a live-fire demonstration of newly developed short-range ballistic missiles meant to send a warning to the US and South Korea over their joint military exercises. KCNA said two missiles launched from a western airfield flew across the country and over the...
N. Korea Speaks of Ignored Warnings, Fires More Missiles
It's the 4th such launch since July 25
- North Korea on Tuesday fired two more missiles, marking the fourth time it has done so since July 25. The AP reports the unidentified missiles traveled across the country from the west and into the sea; the previous launches all took place in the east. The BBC notes the timing:...
Trump Reacts to Latest UN Violation by His 'Friend'
Trump says Kim doesn't want to 'disappoint' him
- President Trump stood up for Kim Jong Un a day after North Korea fired yet another missile into the Sea of Japan, the
reports. "These missiles tests are not a violation of our signed Singapore agreement, nor was there discussion of short range missiles when we shook hands,...
N. Korea: Missile Test Was 'Solemn Warning'
Pyongyang says it fired new kind of missile
- A day after two North Korean missile launches rattled Asia, the nation announced Friday that Kim Jong Un supervised a test of a new type of tactical guided weapon that was meant to be a "solemn warning" about South Korean weapons introduction and its rival's plans to hold...
Trump Not 'Personally Bothered' by NK Launches
He breaks with host during Japan visit
- President Trump said Monday that he is not "personally bothered" by recent short-range missile tests that North Korea conducted this month, breaking with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who is hosting the president on four-day state visit full of pageantry. Standing beside Trump at a news conference after hours...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
NHL Team Drops Prospect Over His Actions as a Teen
Kanye's Birthday Gift to Kim: a 'Special Surprise From Heaven'
Cop in Breonna Taylor Shooting Sues Her Boyfriend
He Was Waiting for a Bus in NYC. Then, a Horrifying Plunge
Inmate 77827-112 Starts Her Sentence Early
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.