Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Nets Sign Jason
Collins, NBA's First
Openly Gay Player
Feb 23, 2014 3:05 PM CST
Nets Sign Jason Collins, NBA's First Openly Gay Player
Will play tonight as 10-day contract begins
- Jason Collins has signed a 10-day contract with the Brooklyn Nets and is set to become the first active openly gay player in the NBA. Collins will join the Nets for their game tonight in Los Angeles against the Lakers. The 35-year-old center revealed at the end of last season...
Jul 9, 2013 10:45 AM CDT
Jason Collins' Ex-Fiancee Speaks
Carolyn Moos still 'deeply hurt' by athlete
- When Jason Collins came out as gay in April , he mentioned having once been engaged to a woman . That woman is Carolyn Moos, herself a former pro basketball player, and today in
she tells her side of the story. She recalls being immediately attracted to Collins when she met...
'I'm Truly Sorry'
May 5, 2013 11:52 AM CDT
Howard Kurtz: 'I'm Truly Sorry'
CNN host apologizes for erroneous Jason Collins post
- Howard Kurtz took to his own show today to face the music over his Jason Collins flub , turning to the camera and apologizing, reports Politico . “This time the media mistake was mine—a big mistake, more than one in fact," said Kurtz, who denied that he lost his...
Will Get Grilled
on His Own
May 4, 2013 8:33 AM CDT
Howard Kurtz Will Get Grilled on His Own Show
Over his misfire on Jason Collins item
- It's been a rough week for media critic Howard Kurtz, who took a barrage of criticism when he inaccurately accused gay basketball player Jason Collins of not coming clean about his previous engagement to a woman. Kurtz "parted ways" with the Daily Beast after the gaffe, though he...
Kurtz Out at Daily Beast
After Post on Jason Collins
May 2, 2013 5:14 PM CDT
Kurtz Out at Daily Beast After Post on Jason Collins
Piece on gay NBA player was inaccurate
- A media firestorm over a blog post by media critic Howard Kurtz has culminated in this short-and-sweet line from editor Tina Brown to Politico : “The Daily Beast and Howard Kurtz have parted company." If you missed it, Kurtz accused gay NBA player Jason Collins of failing to mention...
Parents Moved by
'98' Jersey of
Apr 30, 2013 5:41 PM CDT
Matthew Shepard Parents Moved by '98' Jersey of Gay Player
Jason Collins wore number in honor of their son
- As part of his big reveal yesterday, gay NBA player Jason Collins explained that he chose the jersey number 98 to honor Matthew Shepard, the gay college student murdered in 1998. Shepard's parents learned of it the way the rest of the world did, through
, and they...
Obama Calls Jason Collins,
Apr 29, 2013 6:57 PM CDT
Obama Calls Jason Collins, Is 'Impressed'
But not all reactions to gay NBA player are so positive
- After becoming the first active NBA player to come out as gay , Jason Collins got a phone call from the president himself. President Obama called Collins "to express his support and said he was impressed by his courage," a White House official tells CNN . Michelle Obama , Bill Clinton...
NBA's Jason Collins: I'm Gay
Apr 29, 2013 11:21 AM CDT
NBA's Jason Collins: I'm Gay
First active American pro athlete to come out
- Free agent NBA center Jason Collins came out of the closet today, in a cover story op-ed for
that makes him the first active NBA player—and the first active male athlete in a major American professional team sport—to do so. "I wish I wasn't...
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.