Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
737 Max Sensor Faulted
in Lion Air Crash
Oct 25, 2019 9:43 AM CDT
737 Max Sensor Faulted in Lion Air Crash
Indonesia completes investigation
- Faulty information from a single external sensor forced down the nose of Lion Air Flight 610. So conclude Indonesian investigators a year on from the crash that killed 189 people and raised safety concerns about the Boeing 737 Max. The jet's new flight-control system was vulnerable to errors—that...
Pilots Weren't Told How to Fix
737 Max System's Problems
Oct 25, 2019 6:45 AM CDT
Pilots Weren't Told How to Fix 737 Max System's Problems
Indonesia releases details on Lion Air investigation
- An Indonesian investigation found that a combination of design flaws, inadequate training, and maintenance lapses doomed a Boeing 737 Max 8 jet that crashed a year ago, killing 189 people, per the AP . A summary of the final accident report released Friday said Lion Air flight 610 from Indonesia's...
Report on Ethiopia
Crash Will Be Bad
News for Boeing:
Mar 29, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
Report on Ethiopia Crash Will Be Bad News for Boeing:
Investigators reportedly believe anti-stall system was triggered
- Expected within days, the preliminary report on the crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 will give "the strongest indication yet" that the Boeing 737 MAX's stall-prevention system was to blame , as suspected with the earlier Lion Air crash in Indonesia. That's according to the
Wall Street Journal
737 Max Pilots Have
40 Seconds to Fix Problem
Mar 26, 2019 9:16 AM CDT
737 Max Pilots Have 40 Seconds to Fix Problem
Simulations find automated system quickly can't be overridden
- Flight simulations have found that Boeing 737 Max pilots would have less than a minute to disengage an automated system and manually prevent a nosedive caused by a failed sensor—the scenario that is suspected in two recent airliner crashes . The sensor failure causes software designed to prevent a stall...
In Final Moments, Silence
From Lion Air Captain
Mar 20, 2019 8:07 AM CDT
In Final Moments, Silence From Lion Air Captain
Off-duty pilot rectified identical issue a day before
- New insights into the October crash of Lion Air Flight JT610 have arrived via two grabby headlines, shedding further doubts on the Boeing 737 MAX's flight-control system.
Reuters cites three people with knowledge of the contents of the cockpit voice recorder , describing the first officer searching for a solution
Divers Find Bodies,
Under Seabed Mud
Jan 14, 2019 6:33 AM CST
Divers Find Bodies, Cockpit Recorder Under Seabed Mud
Device may provide clues in Lion Air crash
- Navy divers have recovered the cockpit voice recorder of a Lion Air jet that crashed into the Java Sea in October, Indonesian officials said Monday, in a possible boost to the accident investigation. Ridwan Djamaluddin, a deputy maritime minister, told reporters that remains of some of the 189 people who...
Lion Air Black Box
Nov 27, 2018 6:32 PM CST
Lion Air Black Box Shows 'Fatal Tug-of-War'
Pilots struggled mightily to regain control of plane
- Black box data from the doomed Lion Air flight that crashed in Indonesia last month, killing all 189 on board, shows the pilots struggled mightily to regain control of the Boeing 737, the
New York Times
reports. From almost the moment it took off, "the pilots fought continuously until...
After Fiance Goes Down With
Plane, a Poignant Photo Shoot
Nov 14, 2018 9:45 AM CST
After Fiance Goes Down With Plane, a Poignant Photo Shoot
Intan Syari dressed in her wedding dress
- An Indonesian woman who was engaged to a man who died on a Lion Air flight that plunged into the sea has worn her wedding dress on the day they were to have been married. Intan Syari's fiance, medical doctor Rio Nanda Pratama, was among 189 people who were...
Pilots Say Boeing Failed
to Disclose New Jet Feature
Nov 14, 2018 1:11 AM CST
Pilots Say Boeing Failed to Disclose New Jet Feature
Faulty sensor may have contributed to Lion Air crash
- Boeing didn't tell airline pilots about features of a new flight-control system in its 737 MAX that reportedly is a focus of the investigation into last month's deadly crash in Indonesia , according to pilots who fly the jet in the US. Pilots say they were not trained in...
Lion Air Data Recorder
Recovered From Sea
Nov 1, 2018 1:00 AM CDT
Lion Air Data Recorder Recovered From Sea
It could provide crucial info on cause of crash
- Divers on Thursday recovered a flight data recorder from the crashed Lion Air jet on the seafloor, a crucial development in the investigation into what caused the 2-month-old plane to plunge into Indonesian seas earlier this week , killing all 189 people on board. One TV station showed footage of two...
Likely Seabed Position
of Lion Air Jet Found
Oct 31, 2018 6:57 AM CDT
Likely Seabed Position of Lion Air Jet Found
Experts have a grim task ahead
- A massive search effort has identified the possible seabed location of the crashed Lion Air jet, Indonesia's military chief said Wednesday, as experts carried out the grim task of identifying dozens of body parts recovered from a 15-nautical-mile-wide search area. The 2-month-old Boeing plane plunged into the Java Sea...
'Small Metal Tube' Possibly to
Blame for Lion Air Crash
Oct 30, 2018 3:51 PM CDT
'Small Metal Tube' Possibly to Blame for Lion Air Crash
But officials won't know for sure until black boxes are recovered
- Officials warn that the cause of Monday's Lion Air crash in Indonesia won't be determined until the plane's black boxes are recovered, but some clues point to a possible problem with what the
New York Times
refers to as "a small metal tube." Satellite data...
'You Could Feel the Explosion':
Latest on Indonesia Crash
Oct 29, 2018 3:16 PM CDT
'You Could Feel the Explosion': Latest on Indonesia Crash
The jet that went down was brand-new
- One of the biggest questions in the wake of the Lion Air crash in Indonesia that may have killed all 181 passengers and eight crew members is why a brand-new plane would crash. The type of plane used in Flight JT 610, the Boeing 737 MAX 8, has only been...
No Survivors Found After
Indonesia Plane Crash
Oct 29, 2018 6:33 AM CDT
No Survivors Found After Indonesia Plane Crash
189 were aboard Lion Air's brand new plane when it went down in the sea
- A Lion Air passenger jet crashed into the sea after taking off from Jakarta, Indonesia, on Monday—and no survivors from the 189 people on board have been found. The airline says the Boeing 737 Max 8, a brand new aircraft, was carrying 181 passengers, including two infants, and eight...
10 Injured After Passenger
Falsely Claims to Have Bomb
May 29, 2018 4:26 AM CDT
10 Injured After Passenger Falsely Claims to Have Bomb
Passengers ended up standing on the wing
- Police say 10 passengers on an Indonesian flight preparing to take off from Borneo were injured, mostly with broken bones and head wounds, after a man falsely said there was a bomb on board. Police spokesman Nanang Purnomo says other passengers overheard the 26-year-old man, Frantinus Nirigi, telling a flight...
Plane Crashes Into ... Cow
Aug 8, 2013 11:26 AM CDT
Plane Crashes Into ... Cow
All humans OK after airliner skids off runway
- No black box data needed for this plane accident: Blame the cow. An Indonesian passenger jet with more than 100 people aboard skidded off the runway after hitting a cow upon landing, reports the
. Luckily, all the humans were fine. The cow didn't make it, however, reports the...
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
It's the Most Imaginative Technical Foul of the Year
Little-Known Syndrome More Common Than Realized
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.