Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
'Mystery Is Over'
in case you missed it
Aug 22, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
Lost Colony of Roanoke's 'Mystery Is Over'
Colonists went off with their Native allies and didn't try to hide it, according to a new book
- The legend goes that the Lost Colony of Roanoke might have been the first English settlement in North America had its inhabitants not mysteriously vanished. But "they were never lost … it was made up," researcher Scott Dawson tells the
, concluding the colonists joined their indigenous...
Roanoke Island Mystery
May Finally Be Solved
Aug 9, 2015 3:00 PM CDT
Roanoke Island Mystery May Finally Be Solved
Archaeologists dig up new items in North Carolina
- The mystery of Roanoke Island may be one for the books. Two archaeological teams have dug up new evidence pointing to the fate of English colonists who mysteriously vanished from the North Carolina island 425 years ago,
reports. One collection of items appears to support the long-held theory...
Historians Closer to
Learning Lost Colony's Fate
in case you missed it
Dec 14, 2013 5:15 PM CST
Historians Closer to Learning Lost Colony's Fate
Ground-penetrating radar may help solve mystery of Roanoke Island
- New research has shed a little more light on one of America's longstanding mysteries: the disappearance of more than 100 colonists on North Carolina's Roanoke Island. The British settlers disappeared in 1590, three years after their arrival. Two hints persisted as to their fates: The word "Croatoan"...
Popular on Newser
Musk Kicks Kanye West Off Twitter
Jonah Hill Is Changing His Name
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
NYC Job Will Pay Up to $170K, but It's a 'Daunting' One
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.