Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Ohio's Solution to Drawn-Out Execution: Bigger Dose
Inmate didn't suffer during long execution, state decides
- The unusually long execution of Ohio inmate Dennis McGuire with a previously untested combo of drugs did not cause him "any pain or distress," state authorities have decided—but they plan to up the dosage in the future to be sure. McGuire, who raped and murdered a pregnant...
Daughter Suing Over Dad's Slow Execution
McGuire suffered cruel and unusual punishment: lawyer
- An Ohio inmate put to death for murder was tortured by his unusually slow execution , the man's daughter said today as she announced plans to file a lawsuit over her father's death. Dennis McGuire's daughter, Amber, referred to the "agony and terror" of watching her father...
Lawyer: People 'Should Be Appalled' by Ohio Execution
Dennis McGuire's death took longer than expected
- The events leading up to this morning's execution of murderer Dennis McGuire made headlines because of Ohio's use of untested drugs . It doesn't look like the controversy is going to fade anytime soon, after McGuire gasped and choked for about 10 minutes before being pronounced dead. “...
Ohio Executes Killer With Untried Drug Combo
'Prolonged' execution takes 15-plus minutes
- Dennis McGuire was put to death today with a two-drug combination previously untested in the US, and at more than 15 minutes, it was one of the longest executions in Ohio since the state resumed capital punishment in 1999. McGuire, whose lawyers had attempted to delay his execution by arguing...
Ohio Inmate Likely to Suffer 'Terror' During Execution
Expert warns against state's untested drugs
- A death-row inmate in Ohio will likely suffer the "terror" of a suffocation-like phenomenon known as air hunger during his execution, an anesthesiologist told a judge today. "Air hunger is a horrible feeling," said the expert at a federal court hearing, reports AP . "It's the...
Ohio Killer to Be Executed With Method Untested in US
Dennis McGuire will be put to death using 2-drug combination
- Ohio will use a dose of two drugs untried in the US to put to death a condemned inmate who raped and killed a pregnant woman, according to a decision by the state prison system. The determination means the prisons agency was unable to obtain an unregulated batch of pentobarbital,...
Popular on Newser
Fistfights Break Out at Bloody Trump Rally
Harry Reid: If Dems Win, Give GOP 'No More Than 3 Weeks'
Report: Here's How Woman Died in 'Ungodly' Accident
Mark Meadows Makes Startling COVID Comment
Election Feature That 'Triggered' Dems Is Gone
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.