Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
Mark 10th Anniversary
Dec 26, 2014 2:27 AM CST
Tsunami-Hit Nations Mark 10th Anniversary
Ceremonies pay tribute to more than 225K dead
- A decade after one of history's worst natural disasters killed more than 225,000 people in 14 countries, memorial ceremonies for Indian Ocean tsunami victims are being held across the region.
In Indonesia, the worst-hit country with more than 170,000 deaths—126,000 of them in Aceh province
Decade After Tsunami,
Bodies Still Unidentified
Dec 23, 2014 10:41 AM CST
Decade After Tsunami, Bodies Still Unidentified
Most of the 369 thought to be Burmese
- This week marks a decade since the tsunami that claimed some 226,000 lives in 14 countries on Dec. 26, 2004. But even now, questions remain about its toll: Almost 400 bodies, for instance, are in numbered coffins in Thailand, and 369 of them haven't even been identified, Reuters...
Found in Hawaii
Oct 22, 2014 9:02 AM CDT
Evidence of 'Monster' Tsunami Found in Hawaii
Study: Marine deposits in sinkhole found in late '90s came from massive wave
- The largest tsunami in Hawaii's recorded history struck in 1946. Now, scientists have uncovered evidence that they say indicates the 8-foot wall of water was dwarfed by one as much as 30 feet high that came centuries before. The discovery of the Makauwahi sinkhole on Kauai in the late...
Family Finds Girl
Lost in Tsunami
10 Years Ago
Aug 8, 2014 12:25 PM CDT
Family Finds Girl Lost in Tsunami 10 Years Ago
A chance discovery by the girl's uncle leads to reunion
- More than 10 years after a tsunami swept her away from her parents, Raudhatul Jannah is back in their arms again. Raudhatul was only 4 when her home in Indonesia was destroyed by a 2004 tsunami that killed some 230,000. After the tsunami struck, her father put her and...
8.0 Alaska Quake
Triggers Tsunami Advisory
Jun 23, 2014 6:10 PM CDT
8.0 Alaska Quake Triggers Tsunami Advisory
'Modest' tsunami could strike Aleutian Islands
- Alaska's Aleutian Islands experienced an 8.0-magnitude earthquake today that has triggered a tsunami advisory for coastal areas on some of the islands, Weather.com reports. The far western part of the island chain felt the first shock at nearly noon local time, followed by four aftershocks ranging from...
Tsunami Wiped Out
in North Sea
May 1, 2014 2:08 PM CDT
Tsunami Wiped Out Ancient 'Paradise' in North Sea
Huge wave eliminated last settlers on 'Doggerland,' says new research
- So where did the inhabitants of an ancient "paradise" in the North Sea known as Doggerland go? Under the waves of a giant tsunami about 8,000 years ago, according to a new study. UK researchers say an enormous landslide off the coast of Norway triggered a 16-foot tsunami...
8.2 Chile Quake:
6 Die, 300 Women
Apr 2, 2014 7:54 AM CDT
8.2 Chile Quake: 6 Die, 300 Women Escape Prison
Cops battle looters as thousands flee coast
- Tens of thousands of Chileans have fled their homes for higher ground after a magnitude 8.2 earthquake caused 8-foot waves, power outages, fires, and landslides, the BBC reports. At least six people have been killed, which the AP notes is "a remarkably low toll for such a powerful...
6-Foot Waves Hit
Chile After 8.2 Quake
Apr 1, 2014 8:18 PM CDT
6-Foot Waves Hit Chile After 8.2 Quake
Hawaii could possibly see a tsunami, but no watch or warning issued yet
- A powerful magnitude-8.2 earthquake struck off Chile's northern coast tonight, and officials ordered an evacuation of coastal areas before an expected tsunami; waves measuring almost 6.5 feet already were striking cities on the coast, and authorities said a tsunami was expected to come ashore later. There were...
Man Learns to Scuba Dive to Search for Wife's Remains
Mar 11, 2014 9:19 AM CDT
Man Learns to Scuba Dive to Search for Wife's Remains
Yasuo Takamatsu's wife was lost in the 2011 Japan tsunami
- On a chilly morning last weekend, a 57-year-old Japanese man adjusted his diving mask before heading out to sea from the tsunami-hit northeast coast, but he wasn't doing it for fun: Yasuo Takamatsu is learning to scuba dive in hopes of finding the remains of his wife. As Japan...
Feb 16, 2014 6:01 PM CST
Bizarre Tsunami Ghost Stories Haunt Japan
But is the country's cult of ancestors behind it all?
- An unusual outbreak has struck Japan in the wake of the 2011 tsunami that killed nearly 20,000 people—of ghosts, possessions, and exorcisms. Reverend Kaneda, the top priest at a Zen temple, says he personally exorcised several people who had been invaded by the spirits of tsunami victims, writes...
Critical New Phase
Nov 7, 2013 10:00 AM CST
Japan's Nuclear Cleanup Enters Critical New Phase
Fuel-rod transfer poses serious danger
- Teams working at the Fukushima power station are facing a critical—and extremely dangerous—new task: pulling 13-foot nuclear fuel rods from the Unit 4 structure slammed by the tsunami. "It's going to be very difficult, but it has to happen," an official tells the BBC . To...
Has Bad News
Sep 5, 2013 8:42 AM CDT
Tsunami Study Has Bad News for SoCal
Low-lying areas face disaster; 750K would have to evacuate
- The US Geological Survey has simulated the effects of a 9.1-magnitude earthquake off Alaska—and for southern California, the results could be disastrous. Some 750,000 would need to evacuate coastal areas within a matter of hours as floods spread in Long Beach and Orange County, the
Freak NJ Wave
Was Rare Tsunami
Jun 26, 2013 6:03 AM CDT
Scientists: Freak NJ Wave Was Rare Tsunami
Offshore storms blamed for 6-foot wall of water
- Tsunamis aren't generally cited as one of the hazards of living in New Jersey, but scientists say one hit the state's coast earlier this month. Experts believe the 6-foot wall of water that hit the coastal community of Barnegat Light, seriously injuring a boy and his father, was...
May 28, 2013 9:51 AM CDT
New Threat in Himalayas' Glacial Melt: Tsunamis
Villagers could have just minutes' warning
- Tsunamis can occur far from the ocean, and climate change is increasing the risk of disaster in one of the more unlikely places on Earth: the Himalayas. Lakes are forming more frequently in the area thanks to glacial melting, and when a natural dam breaks—due to erosion, water pressure,...
Russia's Far East,
May 24, 2013 2:12 AM CDT
Quakes Shake Russia's Far East, Northern California
8.0 and 5.7, respectively
- A powerful earthquake has hit Russia's Far East with slight tremors spreading westwards as far as Moscow. Marina Kolomiyets, spokeswoman for Obninsk's seismic station of the Russian Academy of Sciences, said today the epicenter was in the Sea of Okhotsk, east of the Russian coast and north of...
Could Hit California
Mar 26, 2013 8:15 AM CDT
26-Foot Tsunami Could Hit California
Study looks at Cascadia Subduction Zone fault
- It's a frightening scenario: An infamous 620-mile fault located off the West Coast generates an 8.0-magnitude earthquake; it triggers a 26-foot tsunami that strikes northern California. According to a new study, that series of events is a real possibility, and would threaten more than a quarter of a...
Mar 22, 2013 2:05 PM CDT
Washington Starts Dismantling Tsunami Dock
185-ton structures washed ashore from Japan
- The 2011 Japanese tsunami washed an estimated 5 million tons of debris into the ocean, and two years later, one small chunk of that is being dismantled in Washington state. Workers have begun taking apart a 185-ton, 65-foot-long dock that washed ashore in a hard-to-reach area of Olympic National Park,...
Japan Marks 2 Years
Since Quake, Tsunami
Mar 11, 2013 3:37 AM CDT
Japan Marks 2 Years Since Quake, Tsunami
300K still displaced as recovery continues
- Japan fell silent today to mark the second anniversary of the country's worst natural disaster in living memory, an earthquake and subsequent tsunami that left 19,000 people dead or missing and devastated large areas along its northeast coast. "I pray that the peaceful lives of those affected...
Alaska Coast Like a 'Landfill'
2 Years After Tsunami
in case you missed it
Feb 9, 2013 7:45 AM CST
Alaska Coast Like a 'Landfill' 2 Years After Tsunami
Hawaii, British Columbia not sitting much prettier
- We're about a month away from the two-year anniversary of the earthquake that spawned Japan's devastating tsunami . Saying its effects linger far from Japanese shores is an understatement, per some recent reports:
"You're basically standing in landfill out here," says the head of
2 More Big Quakes Hit
Feb 8, 2013 6:59 AM CST
2 More Big Quakes Hit Tsunami-Ravaged Solomons
But no more tsunami warnings issued
- Strong aftershocks rattled the Solomon Islands today, hampering relief efforts to tsunami-ravaged villages and forcing the South Pacific nation's prime minister to forgo a visit to the stricken area, where nine deaths have been confirmed. Officials were already struggling to reach the isolated region when a magnitude-6.6 aftershock...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
NYT : Trump Lawyer's June Declaration a Factor in Search
Rep Confirms Heche's Death as Exes Grieve
Frantic Parents Tased, Arrested Amid Arizona School Lockdown
Singer Arrested on Domestic Assault Charge
After Guilty Verdict, Defendant Downs Drink in Court and Dies
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.