Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Scientists Weren't Expecting
Massive Indonesia Tsunami
Oct 1, 2018 5:17 AM CDT
Scientists Weren't Expecting Massive Indonesia Tsunami
Exact cause remains unclear as death toll rises
- The tsunami that killed hundreds, possibly thousands of people after an earthquake in Indonesia on Friday was much bigger and more devastating than would normally be expected after that kind of quake, scientists say. "We expected it might cause a tsunami, just not one that big," geophysicist Jason...
Indonesia Tsunami Toll
Spikes, Mass Burial Planned
Sep 30, 2018 6:41 AM CDT
Indonesia Tsunami Toll Spikes, Mass Burial Planned
Number of dead doubles to 832, with many more unaccounted for
- Rescue officials feared the full scale of Indonesia's earthquake and tsunami could climb far past the more than 800 already confirmed dead, reports the AP , as several large coastal towns remained cut off Sunday by damaged roads and downed communications. The country's disaster agency said the death toll...
After Tsunami, Quake
Sep 29, 2018 5:26 AM CDT
Hundreds Dead After Tsunami, Quake
Nearly 400 killed in city of Palu, Indonesia, alone
- The toll in Indonesia from an earthquake-triggered tsunami is just starting to become clear, and it's getting worse by the hour. On the island of Sulawesi, nearly 400 were killed in the city of Palu alone, reports the BBC . Palu has a population of 380,000 people, and the...
Major Quake Triggers
Tsunami in Indonesia
Sep 28, 2018 8:39 AM CDT
Major Quake Triggers Tsunami in Indonesia
Few details available yet on severity
- A spokesman for Indonesia's geophysics agency says a powerful earthquake on the island of Sulawesi caused a tsunami, apparently after the agency lifted a tsunami warning. Hary Tirto Djatmiko confirmed to the AP that a tsunami occurred, adding that the agency was still collecting information and would release it...
Ancient Skull Could Be
First Known Tsunami Victim
Oct 26, 2017 7:01 AM CDT
Ancient Skull Could Be First Known Tsunami Victim
Papua New Guinea was site of catastrophe 6K years ago
- An ancient skull found in Papua New Guinea is evidence of early "human interactions with catastrophic events such as tsunamis," researchers say—and in this case, the "interactions" likely involved "death by sand blasting, dismemberment, impact, and drowning." In a study published in the journal...
In Wake of Tsunami,
Happened in Pacific
Sep 29, 2017 7:45 AM CDT
In Wake of Tsunami, the Unprecedented Happened in Pacific
At least 289 species made it across the ocean
- Every spring, "pulses" of floating garbage from the Pacific trash vortex arrive on the US West Coast—and every year since 2011, more unwanted visitors from Japan arrive. Researchers say that the devastating Japanese tsunami sent an armada of debris across the ocean, with "mega-rafts" carrying a horde...
Mexico President: Quake
Was Biggest in a Century
Sep 8, 2017 6:32 AM CDT
Mexico President: Quake Was Biggest in a Century
At least 5 killed in 8.2 quake, he says
- Mexico's president says that the magnitude of the earthquake that hit the country just before midnight Thursday is 8.2, the biggest the country has seen in a century. Enrique Pena Nieto confirmed that at least five people have died in the temblor. He also said that major damage...
Tsunami Warnings Issued
After Huge Mexico Quake
Sep 8, 2017 1:44 AM CDT
Tsunami Warnings Issued After Huge Mexico Quake
8.1 quake is country's strongest in decades
- Tsunami warnings were issued for Mexico and several Central American nations after a massive earthquake off Mexico's southern coast just before midnight Thursday. The US Geological Survey says the 8.1 magnitude quake had an epicenter 102 miles west of Tapachula in southern Chiapas state, the AP reports. A...
Tsunami Sweeps Away
Homes in Greenland
Jun 19, 2017 12:37 AM CDT
Tsunami Sweeps Away Homes in Greenland
4 missing in remote settlement
- Some of the most remote settlements on the planet have been hit by a tsunami that followed a 4.1 magnitude earthquake. Four people are missing in the village of Nuugaatsiaq on Greenland's northwest coast, where the wave swept their home into the ocean, the CBC reports. Some 11...
Japan's Tsunami Made
Cambodian Kids Sicker
May 16, 2017 9:59 AM CDT
Japan's Tsunami Made Cambodian Kids Sicker
2011 natural disaster exacerbated iodized salt dearth, worsening country's deficiency issue
- Cambodia thought it had a handle on its scarcity of iodine, an element critical for humans (and one not made naturally by the body) to make thyroid hormone. The country had long struggled with the lack of iodine in its soil, which at one point in the late 1990s resulted...
Looks Like an Asteroid Once
Triggered a Tsunami on Mars
Mar 27, 2017 12:07 PM CDT
Looks Like an Asteroid Once Triggered a Tsunami on Mars
And that means water, and lots of it
- A new study suggests that ancient Mars not only had an ocean, it experienced a tsunami unlike anything we've seen on Earth, reports Cosmos . The study in the
Journal of Geophysical Research—Planets
identifies a 75-mile-wide crater in the north as the likely source, reports the BBC . The scientists...
Mathematician Wants to Fight
Tsunamis With Sound Waves
Jan 26, 2017 11:17 AM CST
Mathematician Wants to Fight Tsunamis With Sound Waves
His novel approach focuses on reducing the wave's energy
- Tsunamis are among the deadliest forces in nature. Look no further than the one in the Indian Ocean in 2004 that killed more than 230,000 people after being triggered by a powerful earthquake, notes a post at Phys.org . But what if tsunamis could be drained of their power...
A Buoy Noticed a
Wave in 2013 That
Dec 14, 2016 9:23 AM CST
A Buoy Noticed a Wave in 2013 That Was 'Remarkable'
Others may have been taller, but this was recorded by the best tool we have
- The world's "highest significant wave height as measured by a buoy" was 62.3 feet, located in the (very) high seas between the UK and Iceland, and occurred in 2013, the World Meteorological Organization has confirmed. The wave formed after a strong cold front passed through the remote...
Scientists Explain Deadly Wave
of Molasses in Boston
Nov 28, 2016 3:58 PM CST
Scientists Explain Deadly Wave of Molasses in Boston
A 'tsunami' of sticky syrup claimed the lives of 21 people and several horses, too
- Nearly a century after what researchers call a "tsunami of molasses" descended on Boston, Harvard physicists say that fluid dynamics equations that hadn't yet been written now explain why the disaster proved so deadly—and that the cold weather is partly to blame. In January of 1919, 2....
Tsunami Expected After
Earthquake Near Fukushima
Nov 21, 2016 3:26 PM CST
Tsunami Expected After Earthquake Near Fukushima
Residents advised to flee the coast
- A tsunami warning has been issued after a 7.3 earthquake hit off of Fukushima, Japan, Monday, the AP reports. Per Reuters , residents have been advised to flee the Fukushima coast and a tsunami was expected "within minutes." The story is developing.
in Japan: 'Ghost'
Feb 5, 2016 9:16 AM CST
Spooky Tale in Japan: 'Ghost' Taxi Passengers Near Tsunami
Taxi drivers swear they had eerie encounters
- When a Japanese college student started corresponding with taxi drivers in Ishinomaki in Miyagi prefecture for her senior sociology thesis, some became irritated, while others pretended they didn't hear her,
reports. But seven out of 100 drivers actually answered Yuka Kudo's odd question—"Did you...
Tsunami Warning After 7.0
Earthquake Hits Japan
Nov 13, 2015 4:08 PM CST
Tsunami Warning After 7.0 Earthquake Hits Japan
Tsunamis of up to 3 feet could hit
- A tsunami advisory was issued for parts of southern Japan on Saturday after a magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck off the coast of the island of Kyushu. The Japan Meteorological Agency said tsunamis of up to 3 feet could hit the coast of Kagoshima prefecture on Kyushu and small islands...
Could Happen Again
Oct 4, 2015 3:40 PM CDT
Ancient 'Mega-Tsunami' Could Happen Again
Scientists marvel at what happened on island of Santiago
- A huge tsunami apparently struck an island off the coast of Africa in prehistoric times—and if so, people living on islands and coastlines today should take care for their safety. According to a new study , a tsunami over 50 stories high swept through the Cape Verdean island of Santiago...
Want to Survive a Tsunami? Walk Faster
Apr 15, 2015 12:32 PM CDT
Want to Survive a Tsunami? Walk Faster
Study finds picking up the pace could save thousands of lives
- Walking to higher ground at a quick pace could be the key to survival for thousands of Americans if a large tsunami were to hit the Pacific Northwest, a new study published in the
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
finds. The study focused on the high-risk communities within...
Mark 10th Anniversary
Dec 26, 2014 2:27 AM CST
Tsunami-Hit Nations Mark 10th Anniversary
Ceremonies pay tribute to more than 225K dead
- A decade after one of history's worst natural disasters killed more than 225,000 people in 14 countries, memorial ceremonies for Indian Ocean tsunami victims are being held across the region.
In Indonesia, the worst-hit country with more than 170,000 deaths—126,000 of them in Aceh province
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
This Might Be the Biggest Data Breach in History
2 Hours After Parade Killings, Candidate Says, 'Let's Move On'
For US Savings Accounts, Another Shift Is Unfolding
He Was Hesitant About Going to Parade, Ended Up Dead
Also Not in Constitution: Court Having Final Say
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.