Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Add Newser to your home screen?
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 466,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Vatican Opens 2 Tombs in Hunt for Long-Missing Teen
Remains of Emanuela Orlandi aren't there, and neither are those of original bodies
- Emanuela Orlandi is still missing—and now two long-dead princesses are, too. Emanuela was an Italian teenager who disappeared more than 30 years ago, and the Vatican on Thursday opened two 19th-century tombs after the family got a tip she might be buried in one of them. They found nothing,...
After 35 Years, Vatican Opens Probe Into Missing Girl
Emanuela Orlandi was the daughter of a Vatican employee who vanished at age 15
- The Vatican has for the first time opened its own investigation into the case of Emanuela Orlandi, a 15-year-old Vatican citizen who disappeared in the summer of 1983. The Orlandi family's lawyer, Laura Sgrò, confirmed the probe on Wednesday. She told the AP that "the Secretariat of State...
35-Year Mystery Stirs as Vatican Finds Bones
Emanuela Orlandi's family hopes to 'bring her home'
- The discovery of human bones at a property next to the Vatican's embassy to Italy has renewed hope of solving a 35-year-old disappearance, which some claim involves the Vatican itself. Rome's chief prosecutor is working to identify the bones found during renovation work at the Vatican property in...
Ex-Mobster: I Have Secrets to Confess to the Pope
Vincenzo Calcara wants to meet with Pope Francis
- In what could be one of history's more intriguing cases of a Catholic confessing his sins, a former mobster has asked for a meeting with Pope Francis so he can confess three "very important secrets." Vincenzo Calcara, described by the BBC as a "mafia turncoat" who...
Mobster's Tomb Opened in Quest to Solve Vatican Mystery
Bones removed from Roman basilica in search for missing teen
- Italian cops cracked open the jewel-encrusted tomb of a murdered mob boss yesterday in a bid to solve the 1983 disappearance of a Vatican employee's teenage daughter. Experts opened the casket of Enrico de Pedis inside the crypt of a prestigious Roman basilica and discovered that he was the...
Vatican OKs Cracking Open Mafioso's Tomb
Teen kidnap victim may be buried with mobster
- Italian police probing the unsolved 1983 disappearance of a teenage girl have been given the Vatican's permission to open the tomb of a mobster. Enrico Pedis was buried in the crypt of a Vatican-owned church after he was gunned down by rival gangsters in 1990. Now police have received a...
Popular on Newser
'Disgusting' New Trend Can Sicken People, Wildlife
Tom Brady Has One Issue With Florida Mansion
'Head Hippie' Murderer of 1970s Dies in Prison
Chicago Had a 'Super-Spreader'
Some Doctors Are Questioning the Use of Ventilators
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Suggest a Story
Get our apps
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.