Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Sep 4, 2015 4:32 AM CDT
Father Brings 'Precious' Drowned Sons Home
Turkish lawmakers accompany him across border
- The Syrian man who survived a capsizing during a desperate voyage from Turkey to Greece has taken the bodies of his wife and two sons back to the Syrian Kurdish region they fled, to bury them in their hometown of Kobani. The haunting image of the man's 3-year-old son...
Enter Syria to
Feb 23, 2015 12:00 AM CST
Turkish Troops Enter Syria to Evacuate Tomb
Operation shifted ancient remains of Ottoman leader
- Hundreds of Turkish troops backed by tanks took part in an overnight operation into neighboring Syria to evacuate dozens of besieged soldiers guarding an Ottoman tomb and remove the remains amid fears the shrine was threatened by ISIS militants. The mission to the tomb of the grandfather of the founder...
Kurds Rejoice as ISIS
Pushed Out of Kobani
Jan 27, 2015 12:30 AM CST
Kurds Rejoice as ISIS Pushed Out of Kobani
US-backed fighters declare victory in key border town
- Jubilant Kurdish fighters ousted ISIS militants from the key Syrian border town of Kobani yesterday after a 4-month battle—a significant victory for both the Kurds and the US-led coalition. The Kurds raised their flag on a hill that once flew the group's black banner. On Kobani's war-ravaged...
Why the Fight
Oct 24, 2014 11:15 AM CDT
Why the Fight for Kobani Matters
Battle over Syrian town emerges as test of US policy: 'New York Times'
- It's a safe bet that most Americans had never heard of the town of Kobani , Syria, a few weeks ago. Now, however, a common school of thought seems to be, "As Kobani goes, so goes the war on ISIS." In an editorial today, the
New York Times
Did Seize Bundle
of US Weapons
Oct 22, 2014 12:52 PM CDT
Pentagon: ISIS Did Seize Bundle of US Weapons
Kurds say tide is turning in fight for Kobani
- The US has indeed accidentally armed ISIS militants. A video uploaded by the militants appeared to show them rifling through grenades and other items from a supply drop intended for Kurdish fighters defending Kobani; the AP reports that the Pentagon has today confirmed ISIS got a bundle. Of the 28...
US Drops Weapons
to Besieged Kurds
Oct 20, 2014 12:07 AM CDT
US Drops Weapons to Besieged Kurds
Syria supply drop expected to anger Turkey
- The US military says it has airdropped weapons, ammunition, and medical supplies to Kurdish forces defending the Syrian city of Kobani against ISIS militants. The airdrops yesterday were the first of their kind and followed weeks of US and coalition airstrikes in and near Kobani, near the Turkish border. US...
ISIS' New Foe:
Dutch Biker Gang?
Oct 15, 2014 5:29 AM CDT
ISIS' New Foe: Dutch Biker Gang?
Netherlands says it's OK for bikers to join fight
- The notorious Dutch biker gang No Surrender appears to be the newest member of the coalition fighting ISIS. At least three members of the gang are believed to be fighting with Kurds in northern Iraq, and authorities in the Netherlands say they haven't got a problem with that. "...
Turkey Will Let US Use
Its Bases to Fight ISIS
Oct 13, 2014 5:45 AM CDT
Turkey Will Let US Use Its Bases to Fight ISIS
As fighting continues in Kobani
- Turkey will let US and coalition forces use its bases, including a key installation within 100 miles of the Syrian border, for operations against Islamic State militants in Syria and Iraq, American defense officials said yesterday. But progress in negotiations with Turkey—including Ankara's agreement to train several thousand...
UN: ISIS Atrocities Loom
in Besieged Border Town
Oct 8, 2014 4:55 AM CDT
UN: ISIS Atrocities Loom in Besieged Border Town
World must act now to save Kobani, envoy warns
- The world has seen the "massacres, humanitarian tragedies, rapes, horrific violence," and other atrocities that unfold when ISIS seizes a town—and it needs to act now to stop the same happening in the Syrian border city of Kobani , a UN official warns. The UN special envoy for...
ISIS' New Weapon: Water
Oct 7, 2014 5:30 PM CDT
ISIS' New Weapon: Water
Insurgents commandeering precious commodity to strengthen position
- Even when ISIS militants can't maintain control of Iraq's cities and villages, they have another weapon at their disposal: water. The insurgents are increasingly cutting off water to villagers, extorting local governments, and flooding homes, schools, and farms in an effort to gain the upper hand by usurping...
Fears Mount That Key
Border Town Will Fall to ISIS
Oct 7, 2014 8:16 AM CDT
Fears Mount That Key Border Town Will Fall to ISIS
Turkey's president says as much
- The Syrian border city of Kobani continues to grab headlines today, with reports placing ISIS closer than ever to the heart of the city, which remains in Kurdish hands. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that ISIS yesterday managed to raise two of its black flags in the city's outskirts....
Popular on Newser
Lindsey Graham Gets Bad News From Federal Judge
Trump: US 'Temperature Has to Be Brought Down'
Frantic Parents Tased, Arrested Amid Arizona School Lockdown
'Extreme Heat Belt' Emerging in US
Captain Cook's Endeavour Is Being Wrecked Again
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.