Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Police: Magician Did Not Survive Houdini Stunt
His peers say mistakes cost 'Mandrake' his life
- A Houdini stunt in the Hooghly River was Mandrake the magician's last act, police in India say. The body of the magician, whose real name was Chanchal Lahiri, was pulled from the river Monday, a day after he was lowered into the water bound with a chain and six...
He Attempted a Houdini Trick, and It May Have Killed Him
Chanchal Lahiri didn't emerge from the Hooghly river on Sunday
- He tried to do as Houdini once did—and it may have killed him. An Indian magician was lowered into the Hooghly river in West Bengal state on Sunday, his body bound with a chain and six locks in a Houdini-style trick, reports the BBC . Chanchal Lahiri's intention was...
Here's Why 'Buried Alive' Stunts Are a Bad Idea
UK's Antony Britton almost died when he was smothered in soil
- Antony Britton's plan: to pull a Harry Houdini and claw his way to the surface after being handcuffed and buried underneath 6 feet of soil. But his charity stunt in West Yorkshire on Saturday took an almost deadly turn when the escape artist was smothered by the dirt and...
Magicians to Fix Up Houdini's Grave, Keep It Clean
After disputes with cemetery management, magic society to take over upkeep
- Nestled next to the late Lewins, Blums, and Levys in a spooky old cemetery in New York City lies the final resting place of America's most legendary magician, interred under a granite monument that bears his stage name in bold letters: Houdini. It's an impressive tribute to the...
Popular on Newser
Ken Jennings Blasted for Tweet He Chose Not to Delete
Doctor Has 'Chilling' Warning in Viral COVID Video
'Zombie' COVID-Infected Mink Re-Emerging From Graves
SCOTUS Sides With Religious Groups Over COVID Restrictions
DOJ to Allow for Federal Execution by Firing Squad
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.