Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Elizabeth Holmes Trial Proves
Boys' Club Is Alive and Well
Sep 16, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes Trial Proves Boys' Club Is Alive and Well
Ellen Pao wonders why male tech execs accused of fraud aren't held to same standard
- Ellen Pao thinks Elizabeth Holmes should be held accountable for her actions as CEO of the not-quite-what-it-appeared Theranos blood-testing company. But in an essay at the
New York Times
, Pao writes that something else is true in regard to Holmes' ongoing trial: It "can be sexist to hold her...
Dec 24, 2019 1:00 PM CST
Brash Uber Founder: It's 'the Right Moment for Me'
Travis Kalanick is cutting all ties with the company
- Former Uber CEO Travis Kalanick is resigning from the board of directors, severing ties to the ride-hailing company that he co-founded a decade ago and ran until a series of scandals led to his downfall, the AP reports. The departure, announced Tuesday, did not come as a surprise. Kalanick recently...
Familiar Business Name
Has a New Startup
Nov 7, 2019 3:33 PM CST
Familiar Business Name Has a New Startup
Travis Kalanick, formerly of Uber, is betting on food delivery with CloudKitchens
- The ousted founder of Uber is back in the business spotlight with a new startup, one that is attracting big money. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Travis Kalanick has gotten $400 million from a sovereign-wealth fund in Saudi Arabia for his company, CloudKitchens. The idea behind the firm revolves...
'Squirming on the Floor': Uber's
Kalanick Had Crazy Demise
in case you missed it
Jan 21, 2018 4:09 PM CST
'Squirming on the Floor': Uber's Kalanick Had Crazy Demise
Bloomberg has a long look at his rocky final year in charge of the company
- Bloomberg is out with a lengthy feature about the final, turbulent year of Travis Kalanick at the helm of Uber, which the story maintains was "a lot weirder and darker than you thought." As evidence of that, reporters Eric Newcomer and Brad Stone unearth a bizarre anecdote...
Report: Uber Paid $100K to
Hacker Who Lives With Mom
Dec 7, 2017 8:47 AM CST
Report: Uber Paid $100K to Hacker Who Lives With Mom
'Extremely unusual' payoff to hide breach made under company's bug bounty program: sources
- Uber last month revealed a major 2016 hack that exposed information for 57 million customers and drivers, as well as the fact that it paid out $100,000 to the attackers to scrub the information and keep the breach secret. Now, sources tell Reuters it was actually one hacker who...
Oct 4, 2017 2:13 AM CDT
Uber Truce Cuts Power of Ex-CEO
Agreement clears way for IPO, sources say
- Uber is curbing the power of former CEO Travis Kalanick and taking on Japan's SoftBank Group as a major new investor as the service tries to recover from internal strife and a myriad of legal headaches. The changes adopted unanimously Tuesday by Uber's 11-member board strip Kalanick and...
Uber Gains a
Aug 30, 2017 9:10 AM CDT
Uber Gains a 'Scared' CEO
Dara Khosrowshahi is leaving Expedia to lead ride-sharing company
- Uber's board has indeed made its "truce choice" for a new CEO. Per Recode , Dara Khosrowshahi, who's helmed Expedia since 2005, has officially been designated the new head of Uber after former CEO Travis Kalanick's drama-filled June resignation . Khosrowshahi penned a memo to his Expedia staff...
One of Uber's Investors Just
Sued Its Former CEO for Fraud
Aug 10, 2017 6:40 PM CDT
One of Uber's Investors Just Sued Its Former CEO for Fraud
Lawsuit accuses Travis Kalanick of trying to get back in as CEO
- Uber Technologies Inc. faced a fresh round of turmoil Thursday, with its global operations chief resigning and a major investor suing the ride-hailing company's former CEO, the AP reports. Ryan Graves told Uber staff in an email Thursday that he will transition out of his role as senior vice...
Has 3 Dudes
in the Running
Aug 6, 2017 7:02 AM CDT
Uber Wants Female CEO, Has 3 Dudes in the Running
No women appear to want to take on ride-sharing company beset by sexism woes
- After what the
calls "copiously combing through binders full of women across corporate America" in a search for a woman CEO to repair its sexist image, Uber has apparently come up with three names—all of them white guys. Rejected by the likes of Sheryl Sandberg , Meg...
Why Meg Whitman Won't
Be Uber's Next CEO
Jul 31, 2017 5:11 AM CDT
Why Meg Whitman Won't Be Uber's Next CEO
Travis Kalanick is plotting a comeback
- Some members of Uber's eight-person board were recently convinced that Meg Whitman would be the perfect candidate to replace co-founder Travis Kalanick as CEO, but others—including Kalanick—wanted Kalanick to have the job back. Whitman, former CEO of eBay and current chief of Hewlett-Packard, met with some board...
Uber CEO's Resignation
Was Months in the Making
Jun 22, 2017 2:22 PM CDT
Uber CEO's Resignation Was Months in the Making
Travis Kalanick was forced out by investors
- The dust continues to settle after the resignation of Uber CEO Travis Kalanick from the $70 billion tech company he helped found. The
New York Times
interviewed more than a dozen employees and other insiders at Uber to get the lowdown on the months that led up to Kalanick being...
'Don't Want Uber Job'
Jun 22, 2017 6:55 AM CDT
Sandberg, Huffington 'Don't Want Uber Job'
Facebook COO rumored to be board's first choice
- Uber is looking for a new CEO, but the company's board may have to get used to disappointment: Sources tell the AP that Sheryl Sandberg, rumored to have been among the leading choices to replace Travis Kalanick, has made it clear that she isn't planning on leaving her...
After Uber Shocker, Everyone's
Talking About Steve Jobs
Jun 21, 2017 10:43 AM CDT
After Uber Shocker, Everyone's Talking About Steve Jobs
But many say the ouster of Travis Kalanick isn't the same
- Uber CEO Travis Kalanick's surprise resignation is drawing comparisons to another Silicon Valley ouster, that of Steve Jobs on his first go-round with Apple in 1985. Here's a look at what people are saying, including the pushback against those comparisons:
"This is shocking," writes
After 'Hours of Drama,'
Uber CEO Resigns
Jun 21, 2017 4:13 AM CDT
After 'Hours of Drama,' Uber CEO Resigns
Move caps Travis Kalanick's 'dramatic fall from grace'
- The bumpy ride is over for Uber's Travis Kalanick: After a shareholder revolt, Kalanick has stepped down as chief executive of the company he co-founded in 2009. Sources tell the
New York Times
that the resignation came after "hours of drama" on Tuesday, with five of the company'...
What to Know From
Uber's Big Day
Jun 13, 2017 3:29 PM CDT
What to Know From Uber's Big Day
CEO Travis Kalanick is taking a leave of absence, and more
- Uber CEO Travis Kalanick is taking an indefinite leave of absence amid controversy at the ride-sharing company and the ensuing Eric Holder investigation , he announced Tuesday in a company-wide email. Also out Tuesday were the "sweeping" recommendations from that investigation, per the
. What you need to know,...
Big Day for Uber:
Eric Holder Investigation Is In
Jun 11, 2017 2:21 PM CDT
Big Day for Uber: Eric Holder Investigation Is In
CEO Travis Kalanick may take a leave of absence
- Privately valued at $70 billion and operating in 80 countries , Uber seems to have as much potential as it does scandal. And that’s precisely what its board members are meeting about Sunday, reports the
New York Times
, when they’re set to discuss a possible leave of absence of...
CEO Set Out 'Sex Rules'
Before 2013 Uber Party
Jun 9, 2017 4:45 AM CDT
CEO Set Out 'Sex Rules' Before 2013 Uber Party
Kalanick complained they meant he'd stay celibate
- An email advising partygoers not to puke, throw kegs off buildings, or have sex without the other person's consent was sent not to the residents of Chug-a-Lug House, but to 400 Uber employees before a 2013 company party. In the letter obtained by Recode , CEO Travis Kalanick set out...
Uber Execs Reportedly Thought
Rider's Rape Was a Conspiracy
Jun 8, 2017 10:17 AM CDT
Uber Execs Reportedly Thought Rider's Rape Was a Conspiracy
They believed rival company concocted the account: report
- Uber is at "an all-time low on morality," says rival company Ola, per Buzzfeed . That after a report alleging Uber's president of business in Asia Pacific got his hands on the medical records of a woman raped during a 2014 Uber ride in India and showed them...
Uber CEO's Mom
Killed in Boating Accident
May 28, 2017 6:07 AM CDT
Uber CEO's Mom Killed in Boating Accident
Bonnie Kalanick's boat hit a rock in California lake, sank
- The mother of Uber CEO Travis Kalanick died in a boat accident in a California lake, reports the AP . Bonnie Kalanick, 71, died after the boat she and her husband, Donald, 78, were riding in hit a rock in Pine Flat Lake and sank, Fresno County authorities said. The Kalanicks,...
What an Undisclosed Uber
Meeting Says About Its CEO
Apr 23, 2017 4:08 PM CDT
What an Undisclosed Uber Meeting Says About Its CEO
Travis Kalanick met with Tim Cook in 2015, got a scolding
- Mike Isaac's lengthy look at Uber CEO Travis Kalanick, the result of interviews with more than 50 people who are or have been professionally or personally close to him, isn't entirely without compliment. "Some consider him a math savant," Isaac writes for the
New York Times
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
All the Uvalde Victims Were in One 4th-Grade Classroom
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.