Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
San Bernardino shooting
Stories 1 - 20 |
Now We Know
in case you missed it
Apr 18, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
Now We Know Who Unlocked San Bernardino Shooter's iPhone
It was Australian firm Azimuth
- Five years later, we finally know how the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone was unlocked. The FBI wanted to get into the iPhone 5C used by Syed Rizwan Farook, who, along with his wife Tashfeen Malik killed 14 people in a mass shooting at a company holiday party in December...
Oct 24, 2020 8:15 AM CDT
Sentencing for Terror Attack Facilitator: 'He Knew Better'
Enrique Marquez gets 20 years in prison for his role in 2015 San Bernardino attack that killed 14
- The California man who provided the guns used in the 2015 San Bernardino mass shooting has found out his fate. The
San Bernardino Sun
reports that 28-year-old Enrique Marquez—who was convicted of conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists and making a false statement on federal firearms-purchase forms—was...
Mom of San Bernardino
Terrorist to Plead Guilty
Mar 4, 2020 9:40 AM CST
Mom of San Bernardino Terrorist to Plead Guilty
Rafia Shareef expected to admit she shredded a map on the day of the 2015 attack
- On the same day she told family members that she believed her son was responsible for the 2015 terrorist attack in San Bernardino, Calif., Rafia Sultana Shareef came across a map at the home she shared with Syed Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, who would be shot dead within...
Female Shooter Was
a Temporary Employee
Sep 20, 2018 3:28 PM CDT
Female Shooter Was a Temporary Employee
26-year-old kills 3 and herself, wounds others, at Rite Aid distribution center outside Baltimore
- News that a shooting left multiple people dead may sound depressingly familiar, but the one outside Baltimore on Thursday is unique in at least one way: The shooter was female. Police say the 26-year-old woman, who has not been identified, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Harford...
'Very Chaotic Scene' After
10 Shot in San Bernardino
Sep 3, 2018 9:00 AM CDT
'Very Chaotic Scene' After 10 Shot in San Bernardino
3 of those injured are in 'extremely critical' condition
- "Multiple victims down," an "uncooperative" crowd, and a "very chaotic scene" is how Captain Rich Lawhead describes to KABC what police encountered at an apartment complex in San Bernardino late Sunday. Ten people were shot in a common area of the complex on the 1200 block...
Reports: San Bernardino
Shooter Died in 'Mist of Blood'
May 26, 2017 9:55 AM CDT
Reports: San Bernardino Shooter Died in 'Mist of Blood'
DA's office compiles firsthand accounts of what happened during manhunt, shootout
- Authorities released a report Thursday detailing the manhunt and shootout with a husband and wife who killed 14 people and wounded 22 others in the 2015 San Bernardino attack . The report released by the San Bernardino County district attorney's office includes the accounts of nearly two dozen law enforcement...
Feinstein Reveals How Much
FBI Paid to Hack iPhone
May 8, 2017 12:40 PM CDT
Feinstein Reveals How Much FBI Paid to Hack iPhone
Agency shelled out $900K to see San Bernardino shooter's info
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the top Democrat on the Senate committee that oversees the FBI, says the government paid $900,000 to break into the locked iPhone of a gunman in the San Bernardino, Calif., shootings . The FBI considers the figure classified, and also won't disclose the identity of the...
Angry About a
Dec 1, 2016 12:16 PM CST
San Bernardino Shooters Were Angry About a Christmas Tree
Tashfeen Malik didn't want husband at a Christmas party: cops
- A mandatory meeting decked out with a Christmas tree and other holiday decorations may have sparked last year's deadly shooting at an office building in San Bernardino, Calif., reports ABC News . Police say that Syed Farook's wife, Tashfeen Malik, was that upset her husband had to attend, based...
Baby Stuck in Sad Limbo
Nov 29, 2016 12:39 PM CST
San Bernardino Shooters' Orphaned Baby Stuck in Sad Limbo
'Washington Post' reports on custody case
- A heartbreaking piece in the
delves into the story of the then-6-month-old girl left behind by the San Bernardino shooters, Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik, before they killed 14 people at an office party and then died in a shootout with police. Farook's sister and brother-in-law,...
Report: 3 Men Rushed
San Bernardino Shooter
Sep 10, 2016 7:16 AM CDT
Report: 3 Men Rushed San Bernardino Shooter
Fast, heroic police response praised
- A new report on last year's San Bernardino shooting details how the horror and chaos of the massacre was met with "the very best that our country has to offer," US Attorney Eileen Decker says. The report from the Department of Justice and the Police Foundation group...
Feds Go After San Bernardino Shooter's Life Insurance
Jun 1, 2016 1:23 AM CDT
Feds Go After San Bernardino Shooter's Life Insurance
Funds should go to families of victims, US attorney says
- Federal prosecutors have filed a lawsuit to seize payments on life insurance policies taken out by San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook in the years before the December attacks. The US attorney's office in Los Angeles filed the civil asset forfeiture lawsuit Tuesday for two policies worth a total...
Brother of San Bernardino
Shooter, Others Arrested
Apr 28, 2016 12:31 PM CDT
Brother of San Bernardino Shooter, Others Arrested
Syed Raheel Farook, 2 Russian women charged with marriage fraud
- Syed Raheel Farook—older brother of San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook—was arrested, along with his wife and her sister, Thursday in California, the
reports. The trio have been charged with marriage fraud and lying under oath. None of the charges are connected to the December shooting...
Mar 5, 2016 1:40 PM CST
DA: Shooter's iPhone May Contain 'Cyber Pathogen'
One expert calls it 'blatant fear mongering'
- A local prosecutor has offered an unusual justification for forcing Apple to help hack an iPhone used by a San Bernardino mass killer: The phone might have been "used as a weapon" to introduce malicious software to county computer systems. San Bernardino County DA Michael Ramos tells the AP...
Working to Fix
Feb 25, 2016 6:21 AM CST
Apple Reportedly Working to Fix Its Vulnerability
Effort began before San Bernardino shooting, sources say
- Engineers at Apple are developing a technical fix that would make it even harder for the government to break into a locked iPhone. Sources tell the
New York Times
the effort began before the San Bernardino attack, and therefore well before a federal judge's order that Apple unlock an...
Feds: Apple's Fight With FBI
Is a Marketing Stunt
Feb 20, 2016 9:40 AM CST
Feds: Apple's Fight With FBI Is a Marketing Stunt
Apple says the US asks for more than China
- Things are getting pretty heated in Apple's showdown with the federal government . On Friday, the Justice Department suggested that Apple is only refusing to help investigators crack the phone of San Bernardino shooter Syed Farook because it wants to sell more iPhones, the
New York Times
reports. The stance...
Took Shape a Year Ago
Feb 19, 2016 5:00 AM CST
Apple-FBI Showdown Took Shape a Year Ago
Legal showdown has been in the works for a long time
- It's a battle that could shape the future of technology, and Facebook has chosen a side: The company issued a statement on Thursday signaling that it supports Apple in its refusal to crack an iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino shooters. Facebook condemns terrorism, the company said...
Order to Unlock
Feb 17, 2016 6:22 AM CST
Defiant Apple Refusing Feds' Order to Unlock Shooter's iPhone
'Unprecedented' demand is too dangerous, says Tim Cook
- It's what the
Wall Street Journal
describes as a "watershed moment" in the fight over smartphone encryption: A court has ordered Apple to obey the government's demand to unlock the iPhone of one of the San Bernardino shooters, and Tim Cook is refusing to do so. The...
Apple Ordered to
Unlock San Bernardino
Feb 17, 2016 12:59 AM CST
Apple Ordered to Unlock San Bernardino Shooter's iPhone
Company 'declined to provide that assistance voluntarily'
- After more than two months of being thwarted by encryption technology —and by an uncooperative Apple—federal investigators have turned to the courts to try to get into San Bernardino gunman Syed Farook's locked iPhone. At a hearing on Tuesday, a federal judge ordered Apple to help the...
2 Months Later,
FBI Can't Unlock
Feb 10, 2016 12:28 PM CST
2 Months Later, FBI Can't Unlock San Bernardino Terrorist's Phone
James Comey testifies before Senate Intelligence Committee
- The FBI is still being thwarted by an encrypted phone in the San Bernardino terrorist shooting investigation. "We still have one of those killers' phones that we haven’t been able to open," FBI Director James Comey told the Senate Intelligence Committee Tuesday, per the
Los Angeles Times
FBI Still Can't Crack
Terror Couple's Codes
Jan 21, 2016 4:15 AM CST
FBI Still Can't Crack Terror Couple's Codes
Some lawmakers say it's time for tech firms to open backdoors
- The secrets on the phones and hard drive of the San Bernardino shooters, possibly including the names of accomplices or plans for further attacks, may never be unlocked, officials say. David Bowdich, the assistant director in charge of the FBI's Los Angeles field office, tells Fox News that the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
Jan. 6 Panel Calls Surprise Hearing
California's Biggest Landowner Closes Forests to Public
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.