Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ammon Bundy Wants
to Be Idaho Governor
Jun 21, 2021 2:19 AM CDT
Ammon Bundy Wants to Be Idaho Governor
Rancher has been involved in armed standoffs against the feds multiple times
- Ammon Bundy, the anti-government rancher who has been involved in multiple armed standoffs against the feds, wants to get into ... government. Bundy, 45, who led a 2016 occupation at a federal refuge in Idaho and was also involved in a 2014 standoff at a ranch belonging to his father Cliven...
He Spurns Face
Mask, Misses Trial
Mar 16, 2021 8:53 AM CDT
Ammon Bundy Arrested After He Spurns Face Mask, Misses Trial
Far-right anti-government activist wasn't allowed in courthouse because he wouldn't don face covering
- Ammon Bundy was arrested in August 2020 and charged with trespassing and resisting arrest after he helped storm Idaho's Capitol during a legislative session to protest coronavirus safety protocols, including his state's mask mandate. Now he's been arrested again, this time tied to another mask-related incident. The...
Busted in Most
Aug 26, 2020 7:44 AM CDT
Ammon Bundy Busted in Most Unusual Way
Anti-mask activist arrested for trespassing at State Capitol; cops wheeled him out in chair he was in
- Anti-government activist Ammon Bundy has been pushing back on COVID-19 safety measures for months, and those efforts came to a head this week at the Idaho Capitol, leading to his arrest Tuesday. The
reports that as state lawmakers gathered Monday for a special legislative session on coronavirus-related issues,...
Rancher Cliven Bundy Goes
Against Feds in Court
Feb 6, 2017 2:32 PM CST
Rancher Cliven Bundy Goes Against Feds in Court
He refused to pay grazing fees for federal land
- A closely watched trial about the modern West and the freedom of ranchers to use federal land begins Monday in Las Vegas. The big name involved is rancher Cliven Bundy , who led an armed standoff in Nevada against federal agents in 2014 over unpaid grazing fees. His adult sons also...
Oct 28, 2016 11:17 AM CDT
Bundy Acquittals Greeted With Applause, Disgust
Some herald the 'great news,' while others call it 'devastating'
- Seven defendants in the Oregon wildlife refuge standoff trial were acquitted Thursday , including brothers Ammon and Ryan Bundy, in what the
New York Times
calls a "surprise" development and a huge "blow" to federal prosecutors. "I knew that what my husband was doing was right, but I...
Ore. Occupiers Found Not
Guilty in 41-Day Standoff
Oct 27, 2016 6:54 PM CDT
Ore. Occupiers Found Not Guilty in 41-Day Standoff
Ammon and Ryan Bundy and 5 others acquitted of federal charges
- The leaders of an armed group who seized a national wildlife refuge in rural Oregon were acquitted Thursday in their 41-day standoff, the AP reports. A jury found brothers Ammon and Ryan Bundy not guilty of possessing a firearm in a federal facility and conspiring to impede federal workers from...
Feds Release Photos
of Trashed Oregon Refuge
Mar 25, 2016 4:09 AM CDT
Feds Release Photos of Trashed Oregon Refuge
Cleanup is going to cost more than $4M
- The occupiers who seized the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge for 41 days apparently hated cleaning up after themselves nearly as much as they hated the federal government. The US Fish and Wildlife Service has released photos of trash and damage at the Oregon refuge , which a spokesman says is a...
Cliven Bundy, Sons
Indicted for 2014 Standoff
Feb 18, 2016 1:42 AM CST
Cliven Bundy, Sons Indicted for 2014 Standoff
'Tremendous step toward ending more than 20 years of law breaking'
- A federal grand jury in Nevada indicted Cliven Bundy and four others Wednesday on 16 charges related to an armed standoff near his ranch in 2014 over unpaid grazing fees. The 69-year-old Nevada rancher was arrested Feb. 10 in Portland, Ore., where his sons Ammon and Ryan Bundy are jailed...
Needed: Volunteers to
Restore Oregon Refuge
Feb 12, 2016 5:00 PM CST
Needed: Volunteers to Restore Oregon Refuge Occupiers 'Trashed'
'The place is just trashed'
- It's hard to imagine, but there was a time Oregon's Malheur National Wildlife Refuge was a beloved bird sanctuary and not a clubhouse for armed anti-government protesters. But now that the last of those protesters has cleared out , various organizations are asking for volunteers to help clean and...
Oregon Holdouts Agree
to Surrender to FBI
Feb 11, 2016 12:55 AM CST
Oregon Holdouts Agree to Surrender to FBI
Lawmaker intervened during tense standoff
- After a dramatic standoff with FBI agents, the final four occupiers at an Oregon wildlife refuge have apparently decided that they want to leave alive. FBI agents in armored vehicles surrounded the armed group's camp on Wednesday night, leading to hours of tense negotiations captured on a live stream...
No Bail for Oregon Occupiers
Jan 30, 2016 9:23 AM CST
No Bail for Oregon Occupiers
This was no Tea Party, judge says
- The occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge was no Tea Party, a federal judge decided Friday when she denied bail to Ammon Bundy, Ryan Bundy, and three other protest leaders. A lawyer for one of the men, Ryan Payne, had sought to link the militia's actions to America'...
FBI: Here's Why
Jan 29, 2016 6:00 AM CST
FBI: Here's Why Oregon Occupier Was Shot
They say video shows Robert 'LaVoy' Finicum reaching for his jacket pocket
- In what it said was an effort to address inaccurate and "inflammatory" reports, the FBI released a video of the shooting of Oregon militia spokesman Robert "LaVoy" Finicum Thursday night. The video, taken from law enforcement helicopters on Tuesday, shows Finicum speeding away from police in a white...
Bundy Tells Ore.
Jan 28, 2016 6:44 AM CST
Bundy Tells Ore. Occupiers to 'Go Home,' Arrests Follow
It isn't clear if any protesters remain at refuge
- Another eight protesters have left the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon, including three now in FBI custody. On Wednesday, militia leader Ammon Bundy—one of eight protesters arrested Tuesday after a deadly shootout —released a statement through his lawyer telling all protesters to stand down. "To those...
Who Was Killed
Vowed Never to
Go to Jail
Jan 27, 2016 1:03 PM CST
Militia Member Who Was Killed Vowed Never to Go to Jail
'I have no intention of spending any of my days in a concrete box'
- One of the militia members occupying an Oregon wildlife refuge told MSNBC on Jan. 5 that he'd be willing to die rather than go to jail. He was killed by authorities during a traffic stop exactly three weeks later, the
reports. "I have been raised in...
Jan 27, 2016 7:09 AM CST
'Dead Cowboy,' Arrests Leave Oregon Standoff in Disarray
Protest spokesman LaVoy Finicum is dead
- Occupation over? Eight people were arrested after an anti-government protester was shot dead Tuesday evening , and it's no longer clear who—if anybody—is now leading the occupation of an Oregon wildlife refuge. The man killed after FBI and state police stopped vehicles on Highway 395 has been identified...
Jan 26, 2016 9:21 PM CST
1 Dead as Leader of Oregon Standoff Arrested
Ammon Bundy is in custody
- The standoff by an anti-government group in Oregon has taken a violent turn: News reports say that one person is dead and group leader Ammon Bundy is in custody along with at least five of his supporters. It's not clear yet what happened, but CNN reports that police detained...
Oregon Militia Angers
Tribe With New Video
Jan 22, 2016 11:32 AM CST
Oregon Militia Angers Tribe With New Video
Clip showing occupier looking through relics insults Paiute leaders
- The Paiute tribe is really getting fed up with the militia occupying federal land in Oregon. The latest straw came Wednesday when an occupier posted a video showing him rummaging through Paiute artifacts and documents. LaVoy Finicum apparently had good intentions. "We want to make sure these things are...
Oregon Gov: Time for
Feds to End Occupation
Jan 21, 2016 3:27 AM CST
Oregon Gov: Time for Feds to End Occupation
Occupiers say gov't will never get wildlife refuge back
- Oregon's governor says she's frustrated with the way federal authorities are handling an armed group's continued occupation of a national wildlife refuge and that it's time to end it. Exasperated by a tense situation that has caused fear among some southeastern Oregon residents since it began...
Oregon Occupier Arrested
in Stolen Federal Vehicle
Jan 16, 2016 11:25 AM CST
Oregon Occupier Arrested in Stolen Federal Vehicle
Cops found him in Safeway parking lot
- Police in Oregon have arrested a member of the armed group occupying a federal wildlife refuge, but he may not have been the brains of the operation: Kenneth Medenbach, 62, was arrested at a grocery store after apparently driving a vehicle stolen from the refuge into the town of Burns...
Jan 12, 2016 3:44 AM CST
Bundy Militia Steals Files, Breaks Fence
They say documents expose gov't discrimination
- The armed group occupying the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon has scored what it sees as another victory against the federal government, exposing Ammon Bundy and his followers to an array of possible new criminal charges in the process. Bundy says that the group has gone through government documents...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
YouTube Bars Dan Bongino Permanently
Offer From Germany Leaves Mayor in Ukraine 'Speechless'
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
It's Tough to Get Out of Kabul, but These Americans Just Did
Mayor's Brother Sees Salary Cut From $210K to $1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.