Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Convicted Leaker Insists
'I Am Not a Traitor'
Jul 25, 2022 6:14 PM CDT
Convicted Leaker Insists 'I Am Not a Traitor'
Reality Winner released US report on Russian election interference
- A former intelligence contractor convicted of espionage has explained her thought process in leaking classified documents. "I am not a traitor. I am not a spy," Reality Winner told CBS'
in an interview that aired Sunday. Winner, a contractor for the National Security Agency, was arrested...
US: 4 Russians Tried
to Hack Energy Sites
Mar 24, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
US: 4 Russians Tried to Hack Energy Sites
Justice Department calls cases a warning during Ukraine tensions
- The Justice Department made public on Thursday charges against four Russians accused of trying to hack energy sites for their government. Had one of the efforts succeeded, US officials said in a statement, Russia would have gained the capability to disrupt energy sector computer systems whenever it wanted, which could...
Hacked Dozens of
Jul 31, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
DOJ: Russians Hacked Dozens of Federal Prosecutors
More than 2 dozen US attorney offices had emails breached, per Justice Department
- The Russian hackers behind the massive SolarWinds cyberespionage campaign broke into the email accounts some of the most prominent federal prosecutors' offices around the country last year, the Justice Department said. The department noted that 80% of Microsoft email accounts used by employees in the four US attorney offices in...
Sites Go Dark
Jul 13, 2021 3:29 PM CDT
Ransomware Gang's Sites Go Dark
Suspects include the US, Putin, and REvil itself
- The REvil ransomware gang's latest message is: "A server with the specified hostname could not be found." That's what appeared on the Russian hackers' sites on the dark web Tuesday, CNBC reports. The group's sites had been active and were used in negotiating with its...
Microsoft: Hackers Got
Further In Than We Thought
Dec 31, 2020 4:40 PM CST
Microsoft: Hackers Got Further In Than We Thought
They viewed, but didn't change, source code
- Microsoft said Thursday in a blog post that hackers tied to a massive intrusion of dozens of US government agencies and private companies sneaked further into its systems than previously thought, although the intrusion doesn't appear to have caused any additional harm. The company said the hackers were able...
Russians' Hacks Might be
Leaving Door Open for Return
Oct 22, 2020 6:35 PM CDT
Russians' Hacks Might be Leaving Door Open for Return
State and local government networks have been hit, US says
- Two US agencies are warning that Russian hackers are hitting dozens of state and local government networks, stealing data from at least two of them. The FBI and the Department of Homeland Security's Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency issued the alert Thursday, Politico reports. The hackers recently have attacked...
Most Destructive Hackers Ever?
So Says Justice Department
Oct 19, 2020 12:41 PM CDT
Most Destructive Hackers Ever? So Says Justice Department
Feds indict 6 Russian intelligence officers
- Six Russian military officers sought to disrupt through computer hacking the French election, the Winter Olympics, and US businesses, according to a Justice Department indictment unsealed Monday that details attacks on a broad range of political, financial, and athletic targets, per the AP . However, the indictment does not charge the...
Firm: Russians Hacked Burisma
Amid Impeachment Hearings
Jan 14, 2020 7:43 AM CST
Firm: Russians Hacked Burisma Amid Impeachment Hearings
Russian military intelligence is implicated, again
- "You're looking at a repeat, potentially, of 2016." So says
New York Times
journalist Matthew Rosenberg, whose reporting indicates that the same Russian hacker group that stole emails from Hillary Clinton's campaign chairman has now hacked Burisma, the Ukrainian gas company at the heart of President...
Fla. Gov: Russians Hacked
2 Counties' Voting Systems
May 15, 2019 2:50 AM CDT
Fla. Gov: Russians Hacked 2 Counties' Voting Systems
He says the FBI won't let him say which 2
- Florida's governor says Russian hackers breached voter databases in two counties during the 2016 election—but he's not allowed to say which two. At a press conference Tuesday, Gov. Ron DeSantis said FBI and Homeland Security officials asked him to sign a nondisclosure agreement, Politico reports. He said...
My Daughter Got 5 Years.
And Trump's Boys Get What?
Dec 26, 2018 3:33 AM CST
My Daughter Got 5 Years. And Trump's Boys Get What?
Reality Winner's mother has something to say
- "I am writing now because I am outraged: While my daughter languishes in prison, those actually responsible for threatening our election continue to get off easy." So writes Billie Winner-Davis in an Intercept article about her daughter, Reality Winner. A 27-year-old US Air Force veteran, Winner got five...
Russians 'Fluent in
American Trolling Culture'
Dec 18, 2018 5:35 AM CST
Russians 'Fluent in American Trolling Culture'
Reports say they went after Mueller following the election
- After Robert Mueller was appointed to investigate alleged Russian election interference, the same Russian operatives that worked to divide the American people and help President Trump get elected made the special counsel a target, according to two reports prepared for the Senate Intelligence Committee. Researchers say the Russians used Facebook,...
Microsoft: Russian Hackers
Targeted Conservative Groups
Aug 21, 2018 5:44 AM CDT
Microsoft: Russian Hackers Targeted Conservative Groups
Latest attack described as 'focused on disrupting democracy'
- Microsoft says it has uncovered new Russian hacking attempts targeting US political groups ahead of the midterm elections. The company said Tuesday that a hacking group tied to the Russian government created fake internet domains that appeared to spoof two American conservative organizations: the Hudson Institute and the International Republican...
Vulnerable Dem's Aide Told
to Change Password in Ruse
Jul 27, 2018 6:18 AM CDT
Vulnerable Dem's Aide Told to Change Password in Ruse
Sen. Claire McCaskill confirms Russian hacking attempt against her
- It's a dubious honor: The Daily Beast reports that Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill is the first known target of Russian meddling in advance of the 2018 elections, though its report says the GRU intelligence agency behind the attack isn't believed to have gotten very far. The Daily Beast,...
Jul 22, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
FBI Releases Top-Secret Wiretapping Request in Russia Probe
The FBI thought Russians were recruiting Carter Page
- Thought Carter Page was just a kooky dream you had? Not so: The FBI released Saturday a redacted version of its FISA warrant to wiretap the former Trump campaign advisor, the
New York Times
reports. "This application targets Carter Page," the document reads. "The FBI believes Page...
Mueller Plans to Question
the 'Hollywood Madame'
Jul 21, 2018 12:00 PM CDT
Mueller Plans to Question the 'Hollywood Madame'
Kristin Davis is close friends with Roger Stone
- Next up, the "Hollywood Madame": Robert Mueller's team has told Kristin Davis that they want to sit down and talk, the
reports. Mueller's people are expected to question Davis—who's known for her pricey 2000s prostitution ring linked to the downfall of Elliot Spitzer—...
Trump Now Holds
Jul 18, 2018 6:15 PM CDT
Trump Now Holds Putin 'Responsible'
Trump continues to turn 'would' into 'wouldn't'
- Head on a swivel, people: President Trump now says he would hold Vladimir Putin personally responsible for Russian meddling in the 2016 election, CNN reports. Trump—who said two days ago that "I don't see any reason why it would be Russia" and then added a key contraction...
Russian Bots Poised to Target
US Midterm Elections
Jul 15, 2018 4:00 PM CDT
Russian Bots Poised to Target US Midterm Elections
A site linked to the 2016 meddling claims to provide 'objective and independent" information'
- An array of Russia-linked bots, trolls, and sites like one called USAReally appear to be testing the waters for pulling off meddling similar to that seen in the 2016 presidential election in the upcoming midterms, reports the AP . USAReally was launched in May by the Federal News Agency, part of...
Russia Not Hacking Election on
'Scale and Scope' of '16: Nielsen
Jul 15, 2018 6:17 AM CDT
Russia Not Hacking Election on 'Scale and Scope' of '16: Nielsen
But DHS secretary says she's seeing 'persistent Russian efforts' to 'sow discord'
- There are no signs Russia is targeting the 2018 midterm elections for cyberattacks with the "scale and scope" it used in 2016, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen told a conference of state secretaries of state and other high-ranking election officials on Saturday. She added, however, that US intelligence officials...
US Indicts 12 Russians
in 2016 Election Hack
Jul 13, 2018 12:20 PM CDT
US Indicts 12 Russians in 2016 Election Hack
Intelligence officers allegedly got into Democratic emails
- President Trump will have a talking point when he meets with Vladimir Putin in a few days: Twelve Russian intelligence officers were indicted on charges they hacked into Democratic email accounts during the 2016 US presidential election and released stolen information in the months before Americans headed to the polls,...
Russians Posed as ISIS Hackers
to Threaten US Military Wives
May 8, 2018 1:08 AM CDT
Russians Posed as ISIS Hackers to Threaten US Military Wives
'Bloody Valentine's Day!' they wrote
- Army wife Angela Ricketts was soaking in a bubble bath in her Colorado home, leafing through a memoir, when a message appeared on her iPhone from hackers threatening to slaughter her family. "Dear Angela!" the Facebook message read. "Bloody Valentine's Day!" Ricketts was one of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.