Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
American Health Care Act
Stories 1 - 20 |
GOP Plan to Repeal
ObamaCare Looks Doomed
Jul 18, 2017 2:10 PM CDT
GOP Plan to Repeal ObamaCare Looks Doomed
3 Republican senators balk, one more than Mitch McConnell could afford
- And just like that, Mitch McConnell's plan to repeal ObamaCare with a two-year delay appears to be doomed. McConnell announced the revised strategy Monday night, and he could afford only two GOP defections. Already, he's got three: Sens. Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia, Susan Collins of Maine,...
Inside the GOP
Health Care Collapse
Jul 18, 2017 6:31 AM CDT
Inside the GOP Health Care Collapse
2 senators worked together to seal bill's fate
- President Trump said it had to happen —but it isn't going to happen. The Republican plan to repeal and replace ObamaCare collapsed Monday night after two more GOP senators announced their opposition, leaving Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell without enough votes to move the legislation forward, and leaving...
Jul 18, 2017 12:42 AM CDT
Republican ObamaCare Replacement Collapses
McConnell admits defeat after losing 2 more votes
- The "replace" part of the Republican effort to repeal and replace ObamaCare collapsed Monday night, leaving the GOP in disarray. After Sens. Mike Lee and Jerry Moran announced that they would not support the ObamaCare repeal bill currently before the Senate, leaving the GOP without enough votes to even...
Trump on Senators Passing
Health Bill: 'They Have to Do It'
Jul 13, 2017 12:01 AM CDT
Trump on Senators Passing Health Bill: 'They Have to Do It'
Says he'll be 'very angry' with Senate Republicans if they don't
- President Trump has warned senators that he will be "very angry" if they fail to repeal ObamaCare as promised. In an interview with televangelist Pat Robertson, the president said "a lot of people will be very upset" if Senate Republicans don't pass the legislation this summer, Politico...
Obama: Senate Health Bill
Just a 'Transfer of Wealth'
Jun 23, 2017 6:40 AM CDT
Obama: Senate Health Bill Just a 'Transfer of Wealth'
He attacks 'fundamental meanness' of plan
- Barack Obama and other Democrats have weighed in on the Senate GOP's health plan , and the word they're using the most is "mean." In a Facebook post Thursday, the former president slammed the "fundamental meanness" of the Senate bill, saying that instead of being a...
Senate GOP Faces 'Revolt'
Over Health Care Bill
Jun 22, 2017 5:16 AM CDT
Senate GOP Faces 'Revolt' Over Health Care Bill
Legislation expected to anger moderates, conservatives
- Leading Senate Republicans are ready to unveil a healthcare bill seen as a compromise between the House's version of ObamaCare repeal and ObamaCare itself—but they now have to find a compromise between conservative and moderate senators. The 52-member Senate GOP caucus will be presented with the bill Thursday...
Senate's ObamaCare Repeal
Showdown Could Come Fast
Jun 20, 2017 6:03 AM CDT
Senate's ObamaCare Repeal Showdown Could Come Fast
Vote could happen as soon as next week, but McConnell can only lose 2 votes
- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is aiming to hold a vote on the Senate's version of ObamaCare repeal-and-replace legislation next week—despite the fact that many GOP senators haven't seen it yet, let alone said they will support it. Insiders tell the
Wall Street Journal
that although McConnell...
CBO: 23M More Americans
Uninsured Under GOP Bill
May 24, 2017 5:05 PM CDT
CBO: 23M More Americans Uninsured Under GOP Bill
The AHCA would reduce the deficit by $119B
- The American Health Care Act passed by House Republicans earlier this month will reduce the deficit by $119 billion over the next decade—while leaving 23 million more Americans without insurance than if ObamaCare remains in place, according to the Congressional Budget Office's score of the bill released Wednesday....
House May Have to Vote Again
on GOP Health Care Bill: Report
May 19, 2017 2:30 AM CDT
House May Have to Vote Again on GOP Health Care Bill: Report
Paul Ryan apparently hasn't sent the bill to the Senate yet
- Most people assumed that when the House narrowly passed its health care bill last week, the bill was then sent along to the Senate for a vote. But according to a report from Bloomberg , that isn't actually the case, and now the House might have to vote on the...
Reporter Says He Was
'Arrested for Asking Question'
May 10, 2017 12:04 PM CDT
Reporter Says He Was 'Arrested for Asking Question'
Dan Heyman repeatedly asked HHS chief about pre-existing conditions
- Everyone's got lots of questions about the American Health Care Act that passed the House last week, and Health and Human Services chief Tom Price seems like he'd be a good person to ask. Reporter Dan Heyman of Public News Service found out that wasn't the case...
Senate to Start
SUNDAY TALK SHOWS
May 7, 2017 11:02 AM CDT
Susan Collins: Senate to Start Health Care 'From Scratch'
Paul Ryan expects Senate 'will complete the job'
- Republican moderate Sen. Susan Collins of Maine is continuing to express concerns about the health care bill passed by the House and says she expects the Senate to start "from scratch." Collins says the House bill is hard to assess because it was passed without a fresh Congressional...
US Rep: 'Nobody Dies' Because
They Don't Have Health Care
May 7, 2017 9:57 AM CDT
US Rep: 'Nobody Dies' Because They Don't Have Health Care
Raul Labrador booed roundly after town hall comments
- On Friday, the day after House Republicans passed the reworked American Health Care Act , Idaho Rep. Raul Labrador faced an angry woman at a town hall who accused him of "mandating people on Medicaid accept dying," reports the
Idaho Statesman .
"That line is so indefensible," responded...
May 5, 2017 1:58 PM CDT
Reince Priebus Really Needed That Win
Thursday's AHCA vote may have saved the chief of staff's career
- Thursday's advancement of the American Health Care Act may not have meant more to anyone than Reince Priebus, the
New York Times
reports in a lengthy piece on the trials and tribulations of President Trump's chief of staff. It had been a rough first 100 days for Priebus,...
Hosts Had to Say
May 5, 2017 6:40 AM CDT
What Late-Night Hosts Had to Say on TrumpCare
Colbert, Meyers, Noah ridicule the GOP plan
- Late-night hosts had a field day with House Republicans' vote to replace ObamaCare Thursday, with Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, and Trevor Noah in particular devoting time to it. Here's a sampling of their jokes via the Hollywood Reporter , the
, and the
New York Times
Senators Vow to Write
Their Own Health Bill
May 5, 2017 4:40 AM CDT
Senators Vow to Write Their Own Health Bill
They say they're not going to be rushed
- ObamaCare is "dead," President Trump declared after the House narrowly passed the American Health Care Act Thursday—but before he can sign the death warrant, a bigger battle looms in the Senate. Republican senators say they're going to craft their own ObamaCare replacement bill, and with the...
House Eats at ObamaCare.
Here's What Comes Next
May 4, 2017 1:22 PM CDT
House Eats at ObamaCare. Here's What Comes Next
Get ready to learn more about 'reconciliation'
- "Hopefully we're going to have a wonderful day, and a wonderful vote," said President Trump Thursday morning. His wish was granted: The House voted 217-213 to pass an updated version of the American Health Care Act, the GOP's ObamaCare replacement. The
Wall Street Journal
House Will Hold Vote on GOP
Health Care Plan Thursday
May 3, 2017 6:48 PM CDT
House Will Hold Vote on GOP Health Care Plan Thursday
Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy says they have the votes to pass it
- House Republicans will vote on a bill to repeal major portions of ObamaCare. That's the word Wednesday night from Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, who told reporters "yes" when asked if they have sufficient votes. Leaders have spent days scrambling to round up the votes for their legislation, the...
Republicans Just Got Good
News on Their Health Care Bill
May 3, 2017 1:40 PM CDT
Republicans Just Got Good News on Their Health Care Bill
Two GOP representatives have switched to 'yes' votes
- Two Republican representatives who announced earlier this week they wouldn't support the GOP bill to repeal and replace ObamaCare have done a 180, giving new hope to the American Health Care Act, the Hill reports. Fred Upton of Michigan and Billy Long of Missouri switched to "yes" votes...
As Key Republican
Defects on Health Bill,
Obama Praises Kimmel
May 3, 2017 6:01 AM CDT
As Key Republican Defects on Health Bill, Obama Praises Kimmel
He praises host for moving monologue
- Jimmy Kimmel's emotional plea in support of ObamaCare won praise from its namesake Tuesday, with former President Obama thanking the late-night host for sharing the story of how his newborn son, Billy, had to undergo open-heart surgery last week. "Well said, Jimmy," Obama tweeted . "That's...
Ready to Sacrifice
Apr 4, 2017 6:11 AM CDT
GOP Looks Ready to Sacrifice Pre-Existing Condition Safeguards
VP Pence reportedly made offer to Freedom Caucus
- "Anybody (especially Fake News media) who thinks that Repeal & Replace of ObamaCare is dead does not know the love and strength in R Party!" So proclaimed President Trump on Twitter on Sunday, and it wasn't an idle tweet. The AP reports that Vice President Mike Pence...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Dallas Mayor Switches Parties
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.