Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
The AP Is Sorry About Its 'Thought for Today'
Wire service says it was appalled once it realized it had shared Jefferson Davis line
- The AP ended up with egg on its face earlier this month thanks to an ill-chosen quote. The
New York Times
reports the wire service each day pushes out a feature called "Today in History," which rounds up events that happened on that day in history and recounts...
This Time, Statue Topplers Take Down the 'President'
Protesters tear down statue of Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy
- A statue of Jefferson Davis was torn down along the famed Monument Avenue in Richmond, Va., on Wednesday night. The statue of the president of the Confederacy was toppled shortly before 11pm and was left lying on the ground in the middle of an intersection, news outlets reported. Richmond police...
Confederate Statues Taken Down After Memphis Sells Parks
Davis, Forrest statues came down soon after sale
- Two Confederate statues came down in Memphis on a dramatic night that had been months in the planning. Statues of Confederate President Jefferson Davis and Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest were removed from two parks Wednesday night after the city sold the parks to a nonprofit called Memphis Greenspace Inc....
School Named After Jefferson Davis Will Be Renamed for Obama
Parents pushed for change at Mississippi schoool
- A school named after Jefferson Davis is getting a new name: Davis IB Elementary School in Jackson, Miss., is going to honor the nation's first African-American president instead of the Confederacy's president by renaming itself after Barack Obama,
reports. PTA president Janelle Jefferson says parents had been...
Jefferson Davis Statue Tarred, Feathered
Police investigating Arizona vandalism
- A Jefferson Davis statue in southern Arizona was tarred and feathered in one of the latest actions against what President Trump calls "beautiful statues and monuments" honoring the Confederacy. Police are investigating the attack on the monument to the Confederate president near Gold Canyon on US Route 60; it...
Bizarre Suit Cites Camel Attack at Jefferson Davis Home
Yes, a camel at the Confederate president's last house
- It's about as odd a lawsuit as you'll run across: A Florida woman claims a camel at the last home of Confederate president Jefferson Davis attacked her at the tourist attraction in Biloxi, Miss., in 2015. She's suing the United Sons of Confederate Veterans Inc., identified as...
Popular on Newser
Famous Folk Singer Has 'Gone Fishing' for Good
Reporters Ask McConnell: What's Wrong With Your Health?
Suspected Culprit Emerges in Mystery 'Havana Syndrome'
Dr. Fauci Had Doubts on a Mask Mandate. He's Reconsidering
Murkowski: I've Decided About My Barrett Vote
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.