Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Add Newser to your home screen?
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 244,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Minneapolis Approves $200K for Jamar Clark's Family
City settled for $20M in Justine Damond case
- The Minneapolis City Council has approved a $200,000 settlement for the family of a black man who was killed by police in 2015. Jamar Clark's death during a struggle with two white officers led to weeks of protests outside a nearby police station. Prosecutors declined to seek criminal...
Police Shooting of 911 Caller Brings 12-Year Prison Term
Mohamed Noor apologizes to woman's family
- A former Minneapolis police officer who shot and killed an unarmed woman who had called 911 said Friday he "knew in an instant I was wrong" and apologized to her family, moments before a judge brushed off a defense request for leniency and ordered him to prison for 12½...
Don Damond: I Told Justine to Make the Call
What happened next was 'tragic, wrong, unjust'
- "My first thought was, 'I want her to be safe.'" It was for that reason that Don Damond told his fiancee to call police on the night of July 15, 2017, after she heard what she thought was a sexual assault taking place near the couple'...
City Reaches Big Settlement in Fatal Police Shooting
Minneapolis will pay $20M over the death of Justine Damond
- The city of Minneapolis will pay $20 million to the family of an unarmed woman fatally shot by a police officer when she approached his squad car after calling 911 to report a possible crime. Mayor Jacob Frey and City Council members detailed the settlement just three days after a...
Minnesota Cop Who Killed Bride-to-Be Found Guilty
Mohamed Noor convicted of third-degree murder, manslaughter
- A Minneapolis police officer was convicted of murder Tuesday in the fatal shooting of an unarmed woman who approached his squad car minutes after calling 911 to report a possible rape behind her home, the AP reports. Mohamed Noor was convicted of third-degree murder as well as manslaughter in the...
Cop Who Shot Justine Damond Explains His Thinking
'Action is better than reaction,' says Mohamed Noor about fatal shooting of Justine Damond
- For nearly two years, the former cop who fatally shot Australian life coach Justine Damond in Minneapolis has stayed mum. That changed Thursday, when Mohamed Noor made his first public remarks on the July 2017 shooting and what led up to it, speaking at his trial in a Hennepin County,...
$50M Suit Filed by Family of Woman Killed by Minn. Cop
Justine Ruszczyk Damond's father says problems within Minneapolis PD are 'systemic'
- The family of an Australian-US citizen who was killed by a Minneapolis cop last year after she called 911 to report a possible assault filed a lawsuit Monday alleging the officer conspired with his partner to hide what really happened. The complaint filed in US District Court alleges Justine Ruszczyk...
Cop Who Shot, Killed Bride-to-Be Charged With Murder
Justine Damond was killed soon after calling 911 to report possible sexual assault
- A Minneapolis police officer who shot and killed an unarmed Australian woman in July minutes after she called 911 to report a possible sexual assault behind her home was charged Tuesday with murder and manslaughter., the AP reports. Officer Mohamed Noor turned himself in Tuesday after a warrant was issued...
Before Justine Damond's Fatal Shooting, a Slap
Warrant reveals that someone hit police car before shooting
- A woman approached the back of a Minneapolis police car and "slapped" it shortly before an Australian woman was shot and killed by an officer, according to a search warrant filed by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. The search warrant obtained by Minnesota Public Radio doesn't specifically...
Fake Street Signs Mock Minneapolis Police
Someone put up at least 2
- The fatal shooting of an Australian woman by a Minneapolis police officer has sparked the posting of at least two fake street signs warning people of "easily startled" officers. The
reports that the signs were spotted this weekend, one in Minneapolis and one in St. Paul. The...
Police Chief Resigns in Wake of Justine Damond Shooting
Janeé Harteau's resignation was requested by Minneapolis mayor
- Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau has stepped down at the request of Mayor Betsy Hodges, the
Minneapolis Star Tribune
reports. Harteau is leaving the police department less than a week after Justine Damond was shot and killed by officer Mohamed Noor. "I’ve lost confidence in the chief’s...
Police Chief: 'Justine Didn't Have to Die'
Harteau makes first comments on shooting of bride-to-be
- "Justine didn't have to die," Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau said Thursday in her first public comments on the shooting of an Australian bride-to-be who had called 911 to report hearing a possible sexual assault. The chief described the fatal shooting as "unnecessary" and said she...
Why Cop Who Shot Bride-to-Be Doesn't Have to Talk
Any lawyer who tells Mohamed Noor to should be disbarred, says one attorney
- The Minneapolis police officer who fatally shot a woman who had called 911 to report a possible rape still hasn't spoken with investigators and doesn't have to, but he will be compelled to give a statement to his department as part of an internal investigation. Officer Mohamed Noor...
Bride-to-Be Called 911 Once, Then Again 8 Minutes Later
City releases transcripts of Justine Damond's calls
- Justine Damond called 911 twice to report a possible sexual assault in progress before she was shot dead by one of the responding officers , according to transcripts released by Minneapolis on Wednesday. In the initial call, at 11:27pm Saturday night, the 40-year-old Australian said she feared somebody was being...
Fireworks May Have Startled Cop Who Shot Bride-to-Be
Officer Mohamed Noor isn't talking to investigators
- Fireworks may have played a role in the fatal police shooting of an Australian bride-to-be in Minneapolis on Saturday night—but investigators are having trouble finding out more because the officer involved has clammed up. Minnesota's Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is investigating the shooting of Justine Damond and it...
Cop Who Shot Bride-to-Be Was Celebrated When Hired
Mohamed Noor was 1st Somali officer to patrol Minneapolis' 5th Precinct
- When Mohamed Noor joined the Minneapolis Police Department in 2015, becoming the first Somali officer to patrol the Fifth Precinct, he was celebrated by the Somali community and Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges, who took "a moment to recognize him" in a Facebook post, the
reports. On Monday,...
Cop Who Shot Bride-to-Be Has 3 Complaints on File
Victim's fiance says he is 'devastated'
- Relatives, neighbors, and even the chief of police are demanding answers after the fatal shooting of an Australian woman in Minneapolis Saturday night. Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau says she wants to know why a police officer fatally shot Justine Damond, and she has called for a speedy investigation, the...
Woman Soon to Be Wed Calls 911, Is Killed by Police
Minnesota department investigating fatal shooting of Justine Damond
- A month after the acquittal of the officer in the Philando Castile shooting , Minneapolis police have another high-profile fatality on their hands. A 40-year-old woman due to be married next month was shot to death by police Saturday night after she called 911 to report a noise in the alley...
Popular on Newser
Costco Draws the Line on Customers
Engineer Tries to Crash Train Into Hospital Ship
Treasury Does 180 on Stimulus Funds for One Set of Americans
A New Worry Emerges on Coronavirus Tests
Governor's Statement Causes Some Double Takes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Suggest a Story
Get our apps
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.