Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Carmen Yulin Cruz
WH Official: Puerto Rico
Gaffe Was 'Slip of the Tongue'
Apr 2, 2019 1:45 PM CDT
WH Official: Puerto Rico Gaffe Was 'Slip of the Tongue'
Spokesman twice referred to American territory as 'that country'
- Puerto Rico is back in the headlines this week, as President Trump lashes out at its leaders, they lash back, and the Senate tries to figure out how much aid to deliver after the devastating hurricanes of 2017. "It is a mess," says an exec with the nonpartisan...
Trump Goes All In on
Puerto Rico Hurricane Fight
Sep 12, 2018 9:59 AM CDT
Trump Goes All In on Puerto Rico Hurricane Fight
Calls response an 'unappreciated great job'
- President Trump's Tuesday declaration that the federal government's response to Hurricane Maria was "incredibly successful" drew complaints, especially in light of a recent federal report that found nearly 3,000 people died as a result of the 2017 storm. The criticism didn't deter him from doubling...
San Juan Mayor on FEMA
Cutoff: 'There Is Need Still'
Jan 31, 2018 9:45 AM CST
San Juan Mayor on FEMA Cutoff: 'There Is Need Still'
Members of Congress implore agency not to halt aid to hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico
- FEMA's plans to halt hurricane relief supplies to Puerto Rico effective Jan. 31 drew criticism Tuesday from members of Congress and the mayor of the island's largest city. San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz said many people in the US territory need the water and food they've...
Trump Called Her
'Nasty.' This Is
Oct 5, 2017 7:45 AM CDT
Trump Called Her 'Nasty.' This Is Her Response
San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz wears T-shirt with that very word during TV interview
- The back-and-forth between President Trump and Carmen Yulin Cruz continues. The San Juan mayor gave a TV interview Wednesday to offer an update in the wake of Hurricane Maria, and she sported an instantly noticeable wardrobe choice: a black T-shirt with the word "NASTY" sprawled across it in white...
San Juan Mayor: Trump
Tossing Towels Was 'Terrible'
Oct 4, 2017 8:41 AM CDT
San Juan Mayor: Trump Tossing Towels Was 'Terrible'
And 'abominable,' says Carmen Yulin Cruz
- There's no love lost between San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz and President Trump, and that situation wasn't much changed following the president's trip to Puerto Rico on Tuesday. Cruz, you'll recall, lashed out last Thursday against the administration's categorization of federal relief efforts as...
Ahead of Visit
to Puerto Rico,
Trump Eases Up
Oct 3, 2017 11:00 AM CDT
Ahead of Visit to Puerto Rico, Trump Eases Up on Mayor
President will be with San Juan's Carmen Yulín Cruz on Tuesday
- President Trump says San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz has "come back a long way" from her criticism of the federal response to Hurricane Maria. "I think it's now acknowledged what a great job we've done and people are looking at that. Whether it's...
Oct 1, 2017 8:25 AM CDT
Trump: 'Great Job' on 'Impossible Situation' in Puerto Rico
As Lin-Manuel Miranda says president is 'going straight to hell'
- President Trump says his administration has "done a great job with the almost impossible situation in Puerto Rico" after Hurricane Maria struck the island. He's going after what he calls "politically motivated ingrates" and says "people are now starting to recognize the amazing work" by the...
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.