Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Makes a Plea
May 27, 2020 3:40 PM CDT
After Girl Is Beheaded, Iran's President Makes a Plea
Hassan Rouhani calls for harsher penalties for honor killings
- Iran's president is calling for laws that would carry harsher penalties for honor killings after a father allegedly beheaded his 14-year-old daughter with a farming sickle. Romina Ashrafi fled her home in Talesh, some 200 miles northwest of Tehran, with her 34-year-old boyfriend after her father objected to them...
Iran Makes Arrests
in Downing of Plane
Jan 14, 2020 6:48 AM CST
Iran Makes Arrests in Downing of Plane
Rouhani calls it an 'unforgivable' mistake
- Iran's judiciary said Tuesday that arrests have been made for the accidental downing of a Ukrainian passenger plane that killed all 176 people on board just after takeoff from Tehran last week. The announcement came amid an upswell of anger and protests by Iranians in recent days over the...
Jan 7, 2020 7:43 AM CST
Congressman Unapologetic Over Fake Obama Picture
GOP's Paul Gosar defiant after posting doctored photo of ex-president, Iranian President Rouhani
- A GOP congressman circulated a fake photo of former President Obama on Monday, showing him shaking hands with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani. Arizona Rep. Paul Gosar tweeted the photo, adding the caption, "The world is a better place without these guys in power." The photo has long been...
US Killing of Iran General
Seen as 'Major Escalation'
Jan 3, 2020 7:00 AM CST
US Killing of Iran General Seen as 'Major Escalation'
Embassy tells all US citizens to leave Iraq
- The killing of top Iranian general Qasem Soleimani in a US airstrike Thursday night is widely being described as a "game changer"—and a major escalation in the Middle East. Gen. Soleimani, head of the elite Quds Force, was killed along with Iraqi militia leader Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis...
Iran Just Struck Oil Big Time
Nov 10, 2019 7:51 AM CST
Iran Just Struck Oil Big Time
Find could bolster Tehran's known reserves by a third amid struggles with sanctions
- Iran has discovered a new oil field in the country's south with over 50 billion barrels of crude, its president said Sunday, a find that could boost the country's proven reserves by a third as it struggles to sell energy abroad over US sanctions. The announcement by Hassan...
Iran's Supreme Leader: No
Talks With the US at Any Level
Sep 17, 2019 12:07 AM CDT
Iran's Supreme Leader: No Talks With the US at Any Level
He rules out meeting of presidents at UN
- Iran's supreme leader announced on Tuesday that "there will be no talks with the US at any level"—remarks apparently meant to end all speculation about a possible US-Iran meeting between the two countries' presidents at the United Nations later this month. Iranian state TV quoted Ayatollah...
Iran Has Message for
US After Bolton Firing
Sep 11, 2019 6:43 AM CDT
Iran Has Message for US After Bolton Firing
Rouhani urges Washington to 'put warmongers aside'
- Iran's president urged the US on Wednesday to "put warmongers aside" amid an escalating crisis between Washington and Tehran in the wake of the collapsing nuclear deal with world powers. Hassan Rouhani's remarks signaled approval of President Trump's abrupt dismissal of John Bolton as national security...
Iran's President Makes
a Demand Before New Talks
Aug 27, 2019 9:16 AM CDT
Iran's President Makes a Demand Before New Talks
Rouhani says US must lift sanctions before he'll meet Trump
- Iran's president back-pedaled Tuesday on possible talks with President Trump, saying Trump must first lift sanctions imposed on Tehran. Hassan Rouhani's change of heart came a day after Trump said Monday that there's a "really good chance" the two could meet on their nuclear impasse after...
Iran Set to Breach
Jul 7, 2019 7:53 AM CDT
Iran Set to Breach Uranium Limits
That's another blow to the 2015 nuclear deal
- Iran announced Sunday it will increase its uranium enrichment to an unspecified level beyond the terms of its 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, reports the AP , breaking another limit set under the accord and furthering heightening tensions between Tehran and the US. Setting another unspecified 60-day deadline for the...
Iran Had an
a New Defiance
Jul 3, 2019 8:11 AM CDT
Iran Had an 'Unwelcome Milestone.' Now, a New Defiance
Uranium enrichment will be 'as much as we want it to be,' President Hassan Rouhani says
- Iran announced an "unwelcome milestone" this week: It has 660 pounds of low-enriched uranium stockpiled, a violation of the 2015 nuclear deal the US pulled out of last year. The
notes that reserve on its own doesn't bring the country much closer to being able to...
Iran to US: Diplomacy Is Done
After 'Stupid,' 'Idiotic' Sanctions
Jun 25, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Iran to US: Diplomacy Is Done After 'Stupid,' 'Idiotic' Sanctions
President Rouhani calls WH 'mentally retarded' as tensions escalate
- Amid a series of escalations with the United States, Iran says it's throwing in the towel on finding a diplomatic way toward peace after the White House's latest round of sanctions, with name-calling thrown in for good measure. "Imposing useless sanctions ... is the permanent closure of the...
Trump Orders Another
1K Troops to Middle East
Jun 18, 2019 6:54 AM CDT
Trump Orders Another 1K Troops to Middle East
Iran says it won't 'wage war against any nation'
- The Trump administration has ordered another 1,000 troops to the Middle East for what acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan says are "defensive purposes." He cited fears of an increased threat from Iran following the latest attacks on shipping in the region, the
reports. "The recent...
Iran Pulls Back
From Nuclear Deal
May 8, 2019 12:07 AM CDT
Iran Pulls Back From Nuclear Deal
Country says it will start keeping excess uranium
- Iran's president said Wednesday that the country will begin keeping its excess uranium and heavy water from its nuclear program, setting a 60-day deadline for new terms to its nuclear deal with world powers before it will resume higher uranium enrichment. Hassan Rouhani's address to the nation came...
Iran Warns of
'War Situation' as
Nov 5, 2018 4:53 AM CST
Iran Warns of 'War Situation' as Sanctions Resume
Rouhani likens current situation to war against Saddam
- Iran greeted the re-imposition of US sanctions on Monday with air defense drills and a statement from President Hassan Rouhani that the nation faces a "war situation." The sanctions end all economic benefits America had granted Tehran for its 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, though Iran for...
Supreme Leader of Iran
Rebuffs Trump's Talks Offer
Aug 13, 2018 9:25 AM CDT
Supreme Leader of Iran Rebuffs Trump's Talks Offer
Calls US government 'duplicitous,' but also says 'there will be no war'
- If anyone was unsure what Iran's supreme leader thought of President Trump's offer to hold talks after the US reimposed "the most biting sanctions" on Iran last week, all doubt has been removed, per Reuters . "I ban holding any talks with America. … America never remains...
Defy US on Iran
Aug 7, 2018 6:51 AM CDT
Trump Issues Warning to Nations That Defy US on Iran
Any nation that does business with Tehran will not do business with US, he says
- President Trump issued another warning in regard to Tehran on Tuesday, but this time it's directed at nations outside Iran. "Anyone doing business with Iran will NOT be doing business with the United States," Trump tweeted . "I am asking for WORLD PEACE, nothing less!" The...
Trump Delivers an
All-Caps Threat to Iran
Jul 23, 2018 6:42 AM CDT
Trump Delivers an All-Caps Threat to Iran
His words come after Iran President Rouhani issued a threat of his own
- President Trump shifted his attention to another country overnight, unloading an all-caps threat to Iran via Twitter. "NEVER, EVER THREATEN THE UNITED STATES AGAIN OR YOU WILL SUFFER CONSEQUENCES THE LIKES OF WHICH FEW THROUGHOUT HISTORY HAVE EVER SUFFERED BEFORE," he wrote . "WE ARE NO LONGER A...
Iran Lawmakers Burn
US Flag, Nuclear Deal
May 9, 2018 5:32 AM CDT
Iran Lawmakers Burn US Flag, Nuclear Deal
France says the deal isn't dead
- President Trump's decision to pull the US from the Iran nuclear deal drew a fiery response from conservative Iranian lawmakers Wednesday—during the opening session of the country's parliament, they burned a paper American flag and the text of the 2015 deal, chanting "Death to America."...
Iran Judge Says Protesters
Could Be Executed
Jan 2, 2018 6:41 AM CST
Iran Judge Says Protesters Could Be Executed
Trump seeks international support for protests
- The death toll in the protests sweeping Iran is now at least 20—and it could end up a lot higher under a recommendation from the head of Tehran's Revolutionary Court. According to Iran's semi-official Tasnim News Agency, Mousa Ghazanfarabadi said Tuesday that some of the hundreds of...
State TV: Protesters Have
Attacked Iran Military Bases
Jan 1, 2018 6:26 AM CST
State TV: Protesters Have Attacked Iran Military Bases
At least 12 killed, report says
- At least 12 people have been killed in the ongoing protests in Iran , and armed protesters have tried to take over police stations and military bases, state TV reported Monday. The protests began Thursday in Mashhad over economic issues and have since expanded to several cities, with some protesters chanting...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
Supreme Court's First Female Justice Dead at 93
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.