Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Iran nuclear deal
Stories 1 - 20 |
US May Deploy Marines
on Private Ships to Foil Iran
Aug 3, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
US May Deploy Marines on Private Ships to Foil Iran
If approved, plan for Strait of Hormuz could put troops at risk of direct confrontation with Iranian forces
- Marines have been flown to the Persian Gulf and received training in anticipation of being placed on American commercial ships to keep Iran from the civilian vessels. The deployment, which has not received final approval, would run the risk of a direct confrontation between US and Iranian forces,
Iranian Move a 'Challenge'
to World's Nonproliferation
Nov 23, 2022 7:52 AM CST
Iranian Move a 'Challenge' to World's Nonproliferation
Per IRNA, nation is enriching uranium to 60% purity, a step away from weapons-grade levels
- Iran has begun producing enriched uranium at 60% purity at the country's underground Fordo nuclear plant, official media reported Tuesday, describing it as a response to a resolution by the United Nations' nuclear watchdog. The increased enrichment, reported by the official news agency IRNA, was seen as a significant...
in Nuclear Deal Talks
Aug 16, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Iran Issues 'Written Response' in Nuclear Deal Talks
State-run media outlet suggests Tehran won't accept the proposal
- Iran said Tuesday it submitted a “written response” to what has been described as a final roadmap to restore its tattered nuclear deal with world powers, the AP reports. Iran's state-run IRNA news agency offered no details on the substance of its response, but suggested that Tehran still...
Iran: Power Outage at
Plant Was 'Nuclear Terrorism'
Apr 11, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Iran: Power Outage at Plant Was 'Nuclear Terrorism'
Israel may have been behind the cyberattack, its media reports
- Iran has described a blackout at its underground Natanz atomic installation on Sunday an act of "nuclear terrorism." No injuries or leaks were caused by the problem with the power distribution network, the BBC reports. The head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization didn't accuse anyone of...
It's a 'Healthy Step
Forward' for US, Iran
Apr 2, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
It's a 'Healthy Step Forward' for US, Iran
Countries to begin indirect talks on nuclear deal compliance
- The US and Iran said Friday that they would start indirect talks with other major world powers next week to try to get both countries back into an accord limiting Iran's nuclear program. The move comes nearly three years after former President Trump pulled the US out of the...
to Talk With Iran
About Nuclear Deal
Feb 18, 2021 5:45 PM CST
Biden's Ready to Talk With Iran About Nuclear Deal
US would be willing to meet with nations that negotiated the treaty
- If invited, the Biden administration said Thursday, the US would meet with Iran and the other nations that signed the 2015 nuclear treaty about reinstating it. EU High Commissioner Josep Borrell said he'd be willing to set such a meeting up,
reports. The US goal would be...
Pence Helped Talk Trump
Out of Bombing Iran: Report
Nov 17, 2020 6:19 AM CST
Pence Helped Talk Trump Out of Bombing Iran: Report
'New York Times' says president asked advisers about strike before he leaves office
- The election isn't the only big matter on President Trump's mind. The
New York Times
reports that he asked top aides last week about bombing Iran. According to the story, Vice President Mike Pence and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo were among those who talked the president out...
Trump Is Scrapping Treaty
With Russia on Surveillance
May 21, 2020 11:55 AM CDT
Trump Is Scrapping Treaty With Russia on Surveillance
White House says Russia is cheating on surveillance flights in Open Skies pact
- The US is pulling out of another international arms control treaty after accusing the Russians of cheating. This one is called the Open Skies Treaty, and it allows participating nations to conduct unarmed surveillance flights over each other's territory, reports the AP . It was first proposed by Dwight Eisenhower...
A 'Worrisome' Development:
Iran 'Has a Pathway to a Bomb'
Mar 4, 2020 6:11 AM CST
A 'Worrisome' Development: Iran 'Has a Pathway to a Bomb'
IAEA reports say Iran's low-enriched uranium stockpile has tripled
- When the Trump administration took the US out of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, the idea was to instead impose sanctions to pressure Iran to stop developing its nuclear program. Now, "the numbers suggest a different reality"—that Iran "now has a pathway to a bomb,"...
Iran Nuclear Deal's
Days May Be Numbered
Jan 14, 2020 11:00 AM CST
Iran Nuclear Deal's Days May Be Numbered
Iran warns of 'strong response' amid heightened tensions
- The 2015 Iran nuclear deal could be dead in its tracks with three signatories rejecting Iran's argument that it was able to lift restrictions on enriched uranium production owing to US sanctions. Britain, France, and Germany said Tuesday that they were triggering the "dispute mechanism" within the agreement,...
Iran Begins Uranium Gas
Injections Into Centrifuges
Nov 7, 2019 12:31 AM CST
Iran Begins Uranium Gas Injections Into Centrifuges
Move is major step away from nuclear deal
- Iran injected uranium gas into centrifuges at its underground Fordo nuclear complex early Thursday, taking its most-significant step away from its 2015 nuclear deal with world powers . Tehran also acknowledged blocking an official from the International Atomic Energy Agency from visiting its nuclear site at Natanz last week, the first...
Iran Thumbs Nose at
Nov 6, 2019 7:54 AM CST
Iran Thumbs Nose at Nuclear Deal—Again
Tehran, wanting to ease sanctions, says uranium enrichment is 'reversible'
- Iran is continuing to back away from its nuclear deal with world powers following US withdrawal over a year ago. On Tuesday, President Hassan Rouhani announced that uranium gas would be injected into centrifuges at the underground Fordo facility beginning Wednesday. A rep for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran...
Iran Gives Europe an Ultimatum
Sep 2, 2019 9:33 AM CDT
Iran Gives Europe an Ultimatum
Tehran wants new terms on nuke deal, or it will take 'strong step' away from it
- Iran will "take a strong step" away from its 2015 nuclear deal if Europe cannot offer new terms, a government rep said Monday as top Iranian diplomats traveled to France and Russia for last-minute talks. Ali Rabiei reinforced the deadline Iran had set for Friday for Europe to offer...
Jul 14, 2019 7:42 AM CDT
There's a New Leak From Ex-UK Ambassador
Sir Kim Darroch said Trump abandoned Iran deal to spite Obama, committed 'diplomatic vandalism'
- Sir Kim Darroch may be gone from the British embassy in Washington, DC, but it seems that President Trump may not soon be forgetting him: The BBC reports that the latest diplomatic leak from the UK is no less damning, with the former ambassador saying that Trump committed "diplomatic...
Iran Breaches Uranium Limits
Jul 8, 2019 3:41 PM CDT
Iran Breaches Uranium Limits
It's now enriching uranium to 4.5%
- Iran on Monday began enriching uranium to 4.5%, just breaking the limit set by its nuclear deal with world powers, while it is still seeking a way for Europe to help it bypass US sanctions amid heightened tensions between Tehran and Washington. The acknowledgement by the spokesman of the...
Iran Set to Breach
Jul 7, 2019 7:53 AM CDT
Iran Set to Breach Uranium Limits
That's another blow to the 2015 nuclear deal
- Iran announced Sunday it will increase its uranium enrichment to an unspecified level beyond the terms of its 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, reports the AP , breaking another limit set under the accord and furthering heightening tensions between Tehran and the US. Setting another unspecified 60-day deadline for the...
Iran Had an
a New Defiance
Jul 3, 2019 8:11 AM CDT
Iran Had an 'Unwelcome Milestone.' Now, a New Defiance
Uranium enrichment will be 'as much as we want it to be,' President Hassan Rouhani says
- Iran announced an "unwelcome milestone" this week: It has 660 pounds of low-enriched uranium stockpiled, a violation of the 2015 nuclear deal the US pulled out of last year. The
notes that reserve on its own doesn't bring the country much closer to being able to...
Iran Makes New
Jun 17, 2019 6:51 AM CDT
Iran Makes New Uranium Threat
Country is about to bust through levels set out in 2015 accord US withdrew from
- Hostility between the US and Iran has been on the rise of late, and a new announcement out of Tehran about uranium is likely going to make things worse. On Monday, an Iranian nuclear official said the country is increasing its enrichment of low-grade uranium and will exceed stockpile limits...
UN Agency Finds Iran Abiding
by Deal, but Has a Concern
May 31, 2019 4:30 PM CDT
UN Agency Finds Iran Abiding by Deal, but Has a Concern
Watchdog questions centrifuge use
- The UN atomic watchdog said Friday that Iran continues to stay within the limitations set by the 2015 nuclear deal with major powers. But the International Atomic Energy Agency reported that stockpiles of low-enriched uranium and heavy water are growing, and it raised questions for the first time about Iran'...
Trump Says He Can't Get
Anybody to Prosecute Kerry
May 9, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Trump Says He Can't Get Anybody to Prosecute Kerry
Iran talks violate Logan Act, president argues
- President Trump said Thursday that John Kerry, who was secretary of state under President Obama, should face charges for talking to Iran after leaving office. Trump told reporters that Kerry told Iranian leaders not to talk with Trump administration officials, the
reports, saying, "he should be prosecuted...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Thanks to Taylor Swift, Heinz Selling 'Ketchup and Seemingly Ranch'
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.