Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Ex-Cardinal Accused of
Abuse Won't Stand Trial
Aug 30, 2023 3:56 PM CDT
Ex-Cardinal Accused of Abuse Won't Stand Trial
Theodore McCarrick, 93, has dementia
- The once-powerful Roman Catholic Cardinal Theodore McCarrick will not stand trial on charges he sexually assaulted a teenage boy decades ago, as a Massachusetts judge dismissed the case against the 93-year-old on Wednesday because both prosecutors and defense attorneys agree he suffers from dementia. McCarrick, the ex-archbishop of Washington, DC,...
Ex-Cardinal Charged With
Sex Abuse in Wisconsin
Apr 17, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
Ex-Cardinal Charged With Sex Abuse in Wisconsin
Theodore McCarrick, 92, already faces abuse charge in Massachusetts
- The defrocked Roman Catholic cardinal who became the face of the church's clergy sex abuse crisis has been charged in Wisconsin with sexually assaulting an 18-year-old man more than 45 years ago, court records show. A criminal complaint filed Friday alleges that Theodore McCarrick, who was removed from the...
First Cardinal Charged
With Sex Abuse of a Minor
Jul 29, 2021 12:47 PM CDT
First Cardinal Charged With Sex Abuse of a Minor
Theodore McCarrick, now defrocked, accused of molesting 16-year-old boy
- The Catholic Church's sexual abuse scandal just reached its highest level yet inside the church. Defrocked Cardinal Theodore McCarrick has been charged with molesting a 16-year-old boy decades ago in Massachusetts, reports NBC News . He is the first cardinal, former or otherwise, to be so charged. McCarrick is 91,...
Vatican Report: John Paul II
to Blame for McCarrick's Rise
Nov 10, 2020 9:15 AM CST
Vatican Report: John Paul II to Blame for McCarrick's Rise
Probe into disgraced cardinal lets Pope Francis off the hook, blames other bishops, cardinals, popes
- A Vatican probe into ex-Cardinal Theodore McCarrick has found that a series of bishops, cardinals, and even popes downplayed or dismissed reports he slept with seminarians, and determined that Pope Francis merely continued his predecessors' naive handling of the predator until a former altar boy alleged abuse. The Vatican took...
Feb 16, 2019 6:30 AM CST
Pope Makes 'Almost Revolutionary' Move Against Ex-Cardinal
Theodore McCarrick has been defrocked by Pope Francis
- Cardinal Donald Wuerl may have forgotten about sexual abuse allegations against his predecessor, but Pope Francis didn't. The
New York Times
reports that word has been handed down from the top: Theodore McCarrick, the former cardinal of Washington, DC, has been defrocked. "The Holy Father has recognized the...
Cardinal on Sex
Jan 16, 2019 7:57 AM CST
Cardinal on Sex Abuse Allegations: They Slipped My Mind
One alleged victim isn't buying that story from DC's Donald Wuerl
- Cardinal Donald Wuerl says there's a reason why he hasn't been completely forthcoming about abuse allegations against Theodore McCarrick, the man who held the post before him: He forgot he knew about them, or at least some of them, per the
. That's the story the...
A Major Church Figure
in US Loses His Job
Oct 12, 2018 6:55 AM CDT
A Major Church Figure in US Loses His Job
Cardinal Donald Wuerl, archbishop of Washington, resigns over his handling of cases
- Pope Francis has accepted the resignation of Washington Cardinal Donald Wuerl after he became entangled in two major sexual abuse and cover-up scandals and lost the support of many in his flock, per the AP . Wuerl, who turns 78 in November, becomes the most prominent head to roll in the...
Ex-Nuncio: Francis Knew,
'Should Resign With All of Them'
Aug 26, 2018 6:11 AM CDT
Ex-Nuncio: Francis Knew, 'Should Resign With All of Them'
Vatican's ex-ambassador to US says pope knew as early as 2013, did nothing about McCarrick
- While Pope Francis is facing down the Catholic Church's abuses in Ireland , a new accusation has sprung up, this time from the Vatican's own former ambassador to the United States: In an 11-page statement the National Catholic Register calls "extraordinary," Carlo Maria Vigano says that Francis...
Church Abuse Scandal Claims
Highest-Ranking American Yet
Jul 28, 2018 6:30 AM CDT
Church Abuse Scandal Claims Highest-Ranking American Yet
Pope Francis accepts resignation of former DC archbishop Theodore McCarrick
- The Catholic Church's sexual abuse scandal has just claimed its highest-ranking American church official. Pope Francis has accepted the resignation of 88-year-old Cardinal Theodore McCarrick while an investigation into multiple allegations of abuse continues, reports the AP . McCarrick, the former archbishop of Washington, DC, had been removed from public...
Popular on Newser
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.