Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
First Cardinal Charged
With Sex Abuse of a Minor
Jul 29, 2021 12:47 PM CDT
First Cardinal Charged With Sex Abuse of a Minor
Theodore McCarrick, now defrocked, accused of molesting 16-year-old boy
- The Catholic Church's sexual abuse scandal just reached its highest level yet inside the church. Defrocked Cardinal Theodore McCarrick has been charged with molesting a 16-year-old boy decades ago in Massachusetts, reports NBC News . He is the first cardinal, former or otherwise, to be so charged. McCarrick is 91,...
Vatican Report: John Paul II
to Blame for McCarrick's Rise
Nov 10, 2020 9:15 AM CST
Vatican Report: John Paul II to Blame for McCarrick's Rise
Probe into disgraced cardinal lets Pope Francis off the hook, blames other bishops, cardinals, popes
- A Vatican probe into ex-Cardinal Theodore McCarrick has found that a series of bishops, cardinals, and even popes downplayed or dismissed reports he slept with seminarians, and determined that Pope Francis merely continued his predecessors' naive handling of the predator until a former altar boy alleged abuse. The Vatican took...
Feb 16, 2019 6:30 AM CST
Pope Makes 'Almost Revolutionary' Move Against Ex-Cardinal
Theodore McCarrick has been defrocked by Pope Francis
- Cardinal Donald Wuerl may have forgotten about sexual abuse allegations against his predecessor, but Pope Francis didn't. The
New York Times
reports that word has been handed down from the top: Theodore McCarrick, the former cardinal of Washington, DC, has been defrocked. "The Holy Father has recognized the...
Cardinal on Sex
Jan 16, 2019 7:57 AM CST
Cardinal on Sex Abuse Allegations: They Slipped My Mind
One alleged victim isn't buying that story from DC's Donald Wuerl
- Cardinal Donald Wuerl says there's a reason why he hasn't been completely forthcoming about abuse allegations against Theodore McCarrick, the man who held the post before him: He forgot he knew about them, or at least some of them, per the
. That's the story the...
A Major Church Figure
in US Loses His Job
Oct 12, 2018 6:55 AM CDT
A Major Church Figure in US Loses His Job
Cardinal Donald Wuerl, archbishop of Washington, resigns over his handling of cases
- Pope Francis has accepted the resignation of Washington Cardinal Donald Wuerl after he became entangled in two major sexual abuse and cover-up scandals and lost the support of many in his flock, per the AP . Wuerl, who turns 78 in November, becomes the most prominent head to roll in the...
Ex-Nuncio: Francis Knew,
'Should Resign With All of Them'
Aug 26, 2018 6:11 AM CDT
Ex-Nuncio: Francis Knew, 'Should Resign With All of Them'
Vatican's ex-ambassador to US says pope knew as early as 2013, did nothing about McCarrick
- While Pope Francis is facing down the Catholic Church's abuses in Ireland , a new accusation has sprung up, this time from the Vatican's own former ambassador to the United States: In an 11-page statement the National Catholic Register calls "extraordinary," Carlo Maria Vigano says that Francis...
Church Abuse Scandal Claims
Highest-Ranking American Yet
Jul 28, 2018 6:30 AM CDT
Church Abuse Scandal Claims Highest-Ranking American Yet
Pope Francis accepts resignation of former DC archbishop Theodore McCarrick
- The Catholic Church's sexual abuse scandal has just claimed its highest-ranking American church official. Pope Francis has accepted the resignation of 88-year-old Cardinal Theodore McCarrick while an investigation into multiple allegations of abuse continues, reports the AP . McCarrick, the former archbishop of Washington, DC, had been removed from public...
Popular on Newser
Fred Savage Accusers: His Eyes Would Go 'Dead'
Trump at State AG Deposition: I Plead the Fifth
A Former President Is Being Deposed Today
Nebraska Mom, Daughter Charged After Teen's Abortion
Musk Does What He Said He Wouldn't
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.