Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Town Decimated by Fire
Has New Obstacle to Rebuild
Nov 12, 2023 2:30 PM CST
Town Decimated by Fire Has New Obstacle to Rebuild
Homeowners in California town of Paradise find home insurance premiums have skyrocketed
- The soaring cost of home insurance has consumed the California town of Paradise, residents and officials say, just after the five-year anniversary of the Nov. 8, 2018, Camp Fire, the deadliest wildfire in California history. Residents have received annual premiums that are near or exceed $10,000—leaving many to...
FEMA Told Them to Get Out.
It Was Pretty Much Impossible
Oct 30, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
FEMA Told Them to Get Out. It Was Pretty Much Impossible
The 'Washington Post' looks at Camp Fire survivors' inability to find housing
- The hits just kept coming for Mike Erickson. The California man lost his home in 2016 in the face of medical debt incurred by wife Crystal's stroke, which partly paralyzed her. In November 2018 came the Camp Fire, which decimated the town of Paradise and left Mike and Crystal...
PG&E Pleads Guilty to
84 Counts of Manslaughter
Jun 16, 2020 8:40 PM CDT
PG&E Pleads Guilty to 84 Counts of Manslaughter
CEO apologizes for devastating 2018 wildfire
- Pacific Gas & Electric confessed Tuesday to killing 84 people in a devastating 2018 wildfire that wiped out the Northern California town of Paradise in November 2018. PG&E CEO Bill Johnson entered guilty pleas on behalf of the company for 84 felony counts of involuntary manslaughter stemming from the...
PG&E Agrees to Plead Guilty
to Criminal Charges in Fire
Mar 23, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
PG&E Agrees to Plead Guilty to Criminal Charges in Fire
Utility's electric grid sparked Camp Fire in 2018
- Pacific Gas & Electric will plead guilty to 84 counts of involuntary manslaughter for a swath of death and destruction left behind after its fraying electrical grid ignited a 2018 wildfire that decimated three Northern California towns. The fire and its aftermath also drove the nation's largest utility into...
A Year Later,
One Camp Fire
Nov 6, 2019 1:30 PM CST
A Year Later, One Camp Fire Mystery Persists
Who is the person found alongside victim Ellen Walker in her Concow home?
- What is known: Ellen Walker, 72, was one of the 85 people who died in Northern California's devastating Camp Fire. Her remains were found in her Concow home. What is not known, nearly a full year after the wildfire raged through the town on Nov. 8, 2019: Who else'...
Lost in Fire.
Saves the Day
Jul 18, 2019 1:09 PM CDT
Wedding Album Lost in Fire. Photographer Saves the Day
Remakes album for couple who lost everything in the Camp Fire
- Marc and Mary Taylor lost everything in northern California's devastating Camp Fire last year—including their wedding album. Though it's been almost two decades since their Aug. 14, 1999, wedding, and the couple hadn't seen their photographers since, Mary Taylor found them and asked if they might...
Investigators Confirm PG&E
Caused Deadliest Calif. Fire
May 16, 2019 1:43 AM CDT
Investigators Confirm PG&E Caused Deadliest Calif. Fire
Transmission lines sparked Camp fire
- Pacific Gas & Electric Corp. power lines sparked a northern California blaze that killed 85 people last year, making it the deadliest US wildfire in a century and the deadliest in state history, state fire officials said Wednesday. Cal Fire said transmission lines owned and operated by the San Francisco-based...
One Faulty Hook Blamed
for California's Massive Fire
Dec 6, 2018 7:16 PM CST
One Faulty Hook Blamed for California's Massive Fire
Sources tell NBC Bay Area a hook on PG&E tower failed
- The cause of California's deadly Camp Fire still has not been officially released, but sources say a single hook may be the culprit. Specifically, a steel hook that held up a high voltage line on a Pacific Gas & Electric transmission tower, sources tell NBC Bay Area . There had...
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Texas Woman Whose Baby Won't Survive Goes to Court
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
Hollywood Is Going After Lauren Boebert
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.