Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 1,775,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
How Texas Shooter, Denied a Gun, Reportedly Got One
Law enforcement official says he procured it via private sale
- The gunman in a West Texas rampage that left seven dead obtained his AR-style rifle through a private sale, allowing him to evade a federal background check that blocked him from getting a gun in 2014 due to a "mental health issue," a law enforcement official tells the...
Police Say Texas Gunman Called 911 Before Shootings
Fired employee left work before officers arrived
- The gunman in a spate of gun violence after a routine traffic stop in West Texas called both police and the FBI before the shooting began, authorities said Monday. Odessa Police Chief Michael Gerke said 36-year-old Seth Aaron Ator had been fired Saturday from Journey Oilfield Services. He said both...
'Guns Are a Small Part of It': Mayor at Texas Vigil
Hundreds gather to pray and sing in West Texas
- Hundreds of people gathered Sunday at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin—a region known for its oil industry—at prayer vigil only hours after 8 were killed and 22 wounded in a nearby mass shooting, the AP reports. "We're out here in the middle of...
Texas Gunman Was Fired Hours Before Mass Shooting
Authorities aren't sure what sparked Odessa rampage
- The man who killed seven people and injured more than 20 others in west Texas on Saturday had been fired from his job at a trucking company hours earlier, authorities say—but they're not sure what sparked the homicidal rampage. The shooting spree began when the 36-year-old suspect was...
After Mass Shooting, O'Rourke Campaign Hawks 'F-ed Up' T-Shirts
Proceeds will benefit anti-gun violence groups
- Beto O'Rourke denounced gun violence in no uncertain terms after Saturday's mass shooting in his home state—and his campaign has now put those words on a T-shirt. The Democratic presidential candidate repeatedly described the massacre in Odessa, Texas, and the "epidemic of gun violence in America"...
Law Officers ID the Odessa Shooter, Talk About Motive
Odessa Police Chief Michael Gerke refused to publicly say the name
- Authorities said Sunday they still could not explain why a man with an AR-style weapon opened fire during a routine traffic stop in West Texas to begin a terrifying rampage that killed seven people, injured 22 others, and ended with officers gunning him down outside a movie theater, the AP...
17-Month-Old Has Teeth 'Knocked Out' in Odessa
Anderson Davis, 17 months, lost all her front teeth
- "Toddlers are funny because they can get shot but still want to run around and play." So says the mother of Anderson Davis, a 17-month-old girl who took bullet fragments to the chest and mouth during a Texas mass shooting that killed at least 7 and wounded 24,...
'What a Horrific Day for Odessa'
Texas shooting began with a traffic stop
- The nation's latest mass shooting began with a simple afternoon traffic stop: NBC News reports that a police officer pulled over the suspect, driving a gold Honda, for failing to signal a left turn around 3:17pm on Saturday between Midland and Odessa, Texas. The AP reports that the...
Police: 21 Shot, 7 Dead in Texas Shooting
Police say the shooter was a white male in his 30s
- At least 21 people have been injured by gunfire and seven killed in a shooting in West Texas, the AP reports. At a news conference Saturday, Odessa Police Chief Michael Gerke also says that at least three law enforcement officers were among those shot. He spoke after a chaotic afternoon...
Popular on Newser
China Pulls a 180 on Its Dog Policy
Protesters Attack Fox News Reporter
Denzel Guides Police as They Frisk Black Man
Yellowstone Is Getting Rattled
Taylor Swift Issues a Warning to Trump
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.