Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dead at 57
Jun 15, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
Drummer on Famous
Song Dead at 57
Urge Overkill's John Rowan (aka Blackie Onassis) kept the beat on 'Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon'
- Sad news for fans of Urge Overkill, and for fans of the
soundtrack: The band's drummer, John Rowan, has died at the age of 57, reports Pitchfork . "Urge Overkill is saddened to report that Blackie has passed away," the group wrote Wednesday on Instagram , referring...
Jan 15, 2022 5:05 PM CST
His Bizarre 1970s Plan Involved Elvis, Plastic Surgery
'Rolling Stone' has the story of 'rogue '70s promoter' Danny O'Day
- If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then Danny O'Day is ... well, he was in a category all his own. In a lengthy piece for
, David Browne digs into the "rogue '70s promoter," who decided to try to make a living by putting...
I'm Still Here'
Jan 11, 2018 8:10 AM CST
Eric Clapton: 'It's Amazing I'm Still Here'
Rock legend says he'll keep playing gigs, despite hearing loss and hurting hands
- Eric Clapton says he'll keep doing live concerts this year, though he admits it's become increasingly challenging. One, because nerve damage has given him back trouble and made it hard for his hands to work their magic on his guitar strings, he told BBC Radio 2's Steve...
Chester Bennington Autopsy
Dec 6, 2017 1:09 AM CST
Chester Bennington Autopsy Results Released
Singer had traces of alcohol in his system
- Chester Bennington, the Linkin Park frontman who hanged himself in July , had a small amount of alcohol in his system but urine tests did not detect the drug Ecstasy despite an initial "presumptive positive," according to an autopsy and toxicology report seen by TMZ . The Los Angeles County...
All of France Mourns
Its Very Own 'Elvis'
Dec 6, 2017 1:00 AM CST
All of France Mourns Its Very Own 'Elvis'
Rock star Johnny Hallyday has died at age 74
- Johnny Hallyday, France's biggest rock star for more than half a century and an icon who packed sports stadiums with his pumping pelvis and high-voltage tunes, has died. He was 74. President Emmanuel Macron announced his death in a statement early Wednesday, saying "he brought a part of...
Even Ted Nugent Says
It's Time to Tone It Down
Jun 16, 2017 3:03 AM CDT
Even Ted Nugent Says It's Time to Tone It Down
Rocker promises to give up 'hateful rhetoric'
- You know things are tense when Ted Nugent says it's time to tone it down. The rocker—who once described former President Obama as a "subhuman mongrel" and said he should "suck on his machine gun"—says he has decided to give up using "hateful...
Rock Stars Really
Do Die Young(er)
Oct 29, 2014 8:20 AM CDT
Rock Stars Really Do Die Young(er)
But they're not particularly vulnerable at 27, researcher notes
- The idea that rock stars die young is actually true, according to a new study out of Australia. Though most rock stars don't enter the so-called "27 Club," whose members all died at that age (Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Amy Winehouse , Jim Morrison), the study...
Rock Tiny LA Club
Apr 28, 2013 10:55 AM CDT
Rolling Stones Rock Tiny LA Club
Jagger & Co. rock intimate venue ahead of '50 and Counting' tour
- They've sold out stadiums around the world for decades, but the Rolling Stones got ready to kick off their 50th anniversary tour last night in a decidedly more intimate venue: A small club in Los Angeles' Echo Park neighborhood. "Welcome to Echo Park, a neighborhood that's always...
David Lee Roth:
From Rocker to
EMT ... and Back
Apr 21, 2013 7:27 AM CDT
David Lee Roth: From Rocker to EMT ... and Back
Van Halen's frontman grapples with the new zeitgeist
- Remember David Lee Roth? The wild Van Halen lead singer had quite a bumpy ride once the band broke up and his solo career ran its course in the 1980s, writes Steve Kandell in BuzzFeed . Starting over, Roth worked as an EMT on ambulance calls in New York City. "...
Dec 20, 2012 4:22 AM CST
Soloists Die Young More Often Than Band Members
Plus: European rockers less likely to die prematurely
- Hey, pop stars: Want to live a long and healthy life? You're better off joining a band, a study finds. Famous solo musicians suffer double the early-death risk that band members face, say researchers who reviewed the lives of 1,400 stars active between 1956 and 2006. As of...
Party Rocker Loses
Bahrain Ambassador Gig
Nov 27, 2012 12:15 AM CST
Party Rocker Loses Bahrain Ambassador Gig
Diplomats decide against sending Andrew WK to Gulf nation
- Some stuffed shirts at the State Department have decided that a rocker who sings about partying until you puke might not be an appropriate American cultural ambassador to a troubled Middle Eastern nation. "King of partying" Andrew WK says a government-sponsored trip for him to visit elementary schools, a...
Eddie Van Halen
Aug 31, 2012 12:31 AM CDT
Eddie Van Halen Has Emergency Surgery
Band forced to postpone tour of Japan
- Guitar great Eddie Van Halen has had emergency surgery for a digestive problem, and could be out of action for up to six months, reports
. The 57-year-old rocker suffered from a severe bout of diverticulitis, which involves an inflammation of the colon. His band Van Halen, which recently released...
Flees WWII Bomb
May 29, 2012 12:15 AM CDT
Pink Floyd's David Gilmour Flees WWII Bomb
Unexploded device found during mansion renovation
- Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour and his wife were forced to flee when workers renovating their mansion uncovered not another brick in the wall, but an unexploded World War II bomb. A Royal Navy team was called in to remove the 60-inch device from under the home, reports
Greatest Guitarist Ever
Nov 24, 2011 1:49 AM CST
Hendrix Voted Greatest Guitarist Ever
Rolling Stone panel puts legendary axeman at top of best 100 list
assembled a team of top guitarists and industry experts to vote on the greatest 100 guitarists of all time and few will be surprised to find '60s legend Jimi Hendrix topping the list. Eric Clapton came second and Jimmy Page third, with Keith Richards and Jeff Beck...
Yeah, I Know
My Name Is Dumb
fun 'esquire' quotes
Apr 20, 2011 9:50 AM CDT
Kid Rock: Yeah, I Know My Name Is Dumb
Plus, why he doesn't do hookers
- Kid Rock has learned a lot over the course of his rock career. Perhaps most importantly, if you're going to beat someone up, at least do it in a Waffle House, as he did . "Could have been worse," he points out. "What if we were in...
All the Male
Feb 26, 2011 11:32 AM CST
Where Are All the Male Groupies?
Female rockers don't get much action on tour, they say
- Male rock stars are notorious for their groupie magnetism—but the same just isn’t true for female rockers, Salon finds. “Ladies in bands don’t get ANY action,” Neko Case tweeted last weekend, prompting a flurry of agreement from fellow women in rock. (Case made clear later...
Jimi Hendrix Flat
Opened to Public
Aug 26, 2010 5:12 AM CDT
Jimi Hendrix Flat Opened to Public
London's Handel museum puts on Hendrix exhibition
- The London flat Jimi Hendrix called home for the last year of his life is being opened to the public next month for the first time since the rock legend's death 40 years ago. A museum next door devoted to George Handel—who would have been Hendrix's neighbor if he'd...
7 Rock Stars
Who Are Major
Jun 5, 2010 5:09 AM CDT
7 Rock Stars Who Are Major Headaches
Liam, Noel Gallagher count as one...which they'd probably fight about
- We expect rock stars to lay in beds covered in money while drinking insanely pricey liquor and, umm, doing some other stuff. But we forget about the poor, poor souls—agents, concert promoters, record producers—who depend on them to be on time...and coherent. Cracked presents the 7 rock...
Elvis Costello Pulls Out of Israel Concerts in Protest
May 19, 2010 1:43 AM CDT
Elvis Costello Pulls Out of Israel Concerts in Protest
'Sometimes silence is better than adding to static'
- Elvis Costello has canceled two concerts he was due to play in Israel this summer to protest the nation's treatment of Palestinians. "There are occasions when merely having your name added to a concert schedule may be interpreted as a political act that resonates more than anything that might...
'Courtney Love Is Dead,'
Says Courtney Love
meet 'courtney michelle'
Apr 20, 2010 2:07 PM CDT
'Courtney Love Is Dead,' Says Courtney Love
Singer says she's switching to her real name
- Courtney Love has had it with her stage name, which, to hear her tell it, has become more like a slave name. “The name Courtney Love is a way to oppress me,” she said in a recent interview with
magazine. “Courtney Love is dead.” From...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
New Suit Says Police Abused Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.