Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Federal Court: Cockfighting
Not a Right in US Territories
Dec 23, 2021 11:19 AM CST
Federal Court: Cockfighting Not a Right in US Territories
Appeals court upholds Guam ban
- In one of his lesser-known moves, then-President Trump signed a law in 2018 banning cockfighting in all US territories, 11 years after Louisiana became the final state to ban the practice. On Wednesday, a federal appeals court ruled against Guam businessman Sedfrey Linsangan, who argued the ban was unconstitutional because...
Guam's Stray Dogs Have Made
All Dogcatchers Quit but One
Nov 11, 2021 11:29 AM CST
Guam's Stray Dogs Have Made All Dogcatchers Quit but One
Nicholas Ibanez is the only pro left to deal with 30K strays, and it's a problem that won't ease up soon
- For more than five years, Nicholas Ibanez has had a unique job on the island of Guam: resident dogcatcher. But it's not an easy one, mainly because the 41-year-old is extremely outnumbered, by about 30,000 strays to one. With a human population on Guam of around 170,000,...
Scenes From China's
New Propaganda Clip
May Look Familiar
Sep 21, 2020 12:33 PM CDT
Scenes From China's New Propaganda Clip May Look Familiar
Observers say nation's air force lifted scenes from 'The Hurt Locker,' 'The Rock'
- A new Hollywood-style video from China's armed forces showing a simulation of an attack on a US military base maybe got a little too Hollywood. Entitled "The god of war H-6K goes on the attack!," the two-minute-plus footage released on Chinese social media by the People's...
Apr 24, 2020 4:27 PM CDT
Navy Wants to Reinstate Carrier's Captain
Brett Crozier was removed over handling of coronavirus outbreak
- After an investigation, the Navy has decided it wants Capt. Brett Crozier, back in charge of the USS Theodore Roosevelt. The recommendation to reinstate the captain, who was fired over his response to a coronavirus outbreak on his aircraft carrier, is under review at the Pentagon, and would have to...
Guam Nervously Takes In
Quarantined Roosevelt Crew
Apr 12, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Guam Nervously Takes In Quarantined Roosevelt Crew
Rooms are set aside for up to 4,000 sailors
- People in Guam are used to a military presence on the strategic Pacific island, but some are uneasy as sailors from a coronavirus-stricken Navy aircraft carrier flood hotels for quarantine. Officials insist they have enforced strict safety measures, the AP reports. An outbreak aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt began in...
Cost of Ex-Navy Secretary's
Trip to Guam: $243K
Apr 9, 2020 6:38 AM CDT
Cost of Ex-Navy Secretary's Trip to Guam: $243K
Modly reportedly flew at a cost of $7K an hour
- Former acting US Navy Secretary Thomas Modly's trip to Guam to lecture sailors who gave a roaring sendoff to their fired captain cost taxpayers a whopping $243,151.65. Modly, who resigned Tuesday , flew 35 hours on a C-37B at a cost of $6,946.19 per hour,
to US Carrier's
Plea for Help
Apr 1, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
Guam Responds to US Carrier's Plea for Help
'We can protect Guam while being humane to them,' says Guam's governor
- Sailors from the USS Theodore Roosevelt are finally putting legs on land, the BBC reports. With at least 100 testing positive for the coronavirus—and the vessel's captain issuing a plea for help —US officials have arranged for crew members to be quarantined in Guam, where the aircraft...
US Captain Fighting Outbreak
Pleads With Navy to Evacuate
Apr 1, 2020 5:05 AM CDT
US Captain Fighting Outbreak Pleads With Navy to Evacuate
USS Roosevelt, docked in Guam, has at least 100 infections among crew
- With at least 100 sailors having tested positive for the coronavirus, the captain of the USS Theodore Roosevelt is pleading with his Navy bosses to let him evacuate the crew onto land. The ship has a crew of more than 4,000. "We are not at war. Sailors do...
This US Territory Has
a Big Issue: No Tests
Mar 25, 2020 6:15 PM CDT
This US Territory Has a Big Issue: No Tests
A coronavirus outbreak could devastate American Samoa
- Worried about the coronavirus? Imagine getting it in American Samoa, which can't test for COVID-19 and has only one hospital with space to quarantine 10 patients. Now, NBC News reports, someone living in the distant US territory appears to have symptoms. So American Samoa tried sending the samples to...
China Has US Targets
in Crosshairs: Pentagon
Aug 18, 2018 7:00 AM CDT
China Has US Targets in Crosshairs: Pentagon
A new report says the People's Liberation Army is training for long-distance strikes
- China is flexing its military muscles, according to a Pentagon report that gets right to the troubling point: "Over the last three years, the PLA [People's Liberation Army] has rapidly expanded its overwater bomber operating areas, gaining experience in critical maritime regions and likely training for strikes against...
First US Baby
of 2018 Wasn't
Born in Any of
the 50 States
Jan 1, 2018 3:30 PM CST
First US Baby of 2018 Wasn't Born in Any of the 50 States
Logan James Lynch Perez was born on the island of Guam, a US territory
- At the end of every calendar year, imminent parents-to-be around the US wonder if their bundle of joy will be the one to nab the nation's "first baby" honors. In 2018, that distinction goes to Logan James Lynch Perez—and he wasn't born in any of the...
North Korea Threatens
Guam Again: 'US Should
Be Tamed With Fire'
Oct 13, 2017 3:23 PM CDT
North Korea Threatens Guam Again: 'US Should Be Tamed With Fire'
North Korea upset about joint naval exercises between US and South Korea
- North Korea is once again threatening to launch missiles toward Guam, the
New York Times
reports. The US territory is in the crosshairs this time over a joint naval exercise being held by the US and South Korea and scheduled to start Monday in the waters around South Korea. "...
Seoul Responded to
Latest Pyongyang Launch
Sep 15, 2017 5:15 AM CDT
Seoul Responded to Latest Pyongyang Launch Within Minutes
Test shows Guam is now in range, experts say
- Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called for "direct actions" against North Korea from oil suppliers China and Russia after the country launched another missile over Japan early Friday. China and Russia "must indicate their intolerance for these reckless missile launches by taking direct actions of their own,"...
Kim Jong Un's
Aug 16, 2017 11:45 AM CDT
Trump Praises Kim Jong Un's 'Wise' Decision
'The alternative would have been both catastrophic and unacceptable!'
- President Trump had nicer words than "fire and fury" for North Korea Wednesday morning, Politico reports. "Kim Jong Un of North Korea made a very wise and well reasoned decision. The alternative would have been both catastrophic and unacceptable!" Trump tweeted , referring to the country's decision...
North Korea: We'll Hold Off
on Guam Missile Launch
Aug 15, 2017 6:31 AM CDT
North Korea: We'll Hold Off on Guam Missile Launch
Kim Jong Un has reviewed plans, state media says
- North Korea says its plan to fire ICBMs into the waters around Guam is on hold while it waits to see what the "foolish Yankees" do next. North Korean state media said Tuesday that Kim Jong Un has reviewed the plan for "the enveloping fire at Guam,"...
Guam Advises Residents:
Don't Look at Fireball
Aug 11, 2017 11:52 AM CDT
Guam Advises Residents: Don't Look at Fireball
Government releases fact sheet with nuclear attack tips
- The residents of Guam are trying to keep their nerves in check as tensions rise between the White House and Pyongyang. The latest fact sheet to come out of the territory's Homeland Security department may either soothe those nerves or worsen them, as it lists what one should do...
North Korea Details
Guam Strike Plan
Aug 10, 2017 5:01 AM CDT
North Korea Details Guam Strike Plan
Pyongyang calls Trump 'bereft of reason'
- North Korea took things up yet another notch Thursday by issuing detailed plans for a strike near Guam —and some insults directed at President Trump. Pyongyang's official Korean Central News Agency said a plan to fire four Hwasong-12 intermediate-range ballistic missiles into waters 25 miles off Guam will...
Bold Claim About
US Nuclear Arsenal
Aug 9, 2017 3:42 PM CDT
Trump Makes Bold Claim About US Nuclear Arsenal
Claims his order made it 'more powerful than ever'
- President Trump doesn't appear to be heeding calls to end his rhetoric in regard to North Korea. In a pair of tweets, he boasted about America's nuclear prowess. "My first order as President was to renovate and modernize our nuclear arsenal," he tweeted . "It is...
Guam on Edge After
North Korea Threat
Aug 9, 2017 6:30 AM CDT
Guam on Edge After North Korea Threat
Pastor says God is on Trump's side
- North Korea has threatened to use missiles to create "enveloping fire" around Guam —and while residents of the American territory are used to hearing Pyongyang mention Guam, they are understandably a little on edge. Residents tell the AP that they are worried about being caught in the middle...
Aug 8, 2017 7:05 PM CDT
North Korea Threatens to Strike Guam
Army says the move would be meant to contain US bases there
- North Korea says it is examining its operational plans for attacking Guam to contain US bases there, the AP reports. The army said in a statement distributed Wednesday by the state-run news agency that it is studying a plan to create an "enveloping fire" in areas around Guam with...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.