The father of a 19-year-old who died in 2015 after drinking Monster Energy drink is now suing its manufacturer, TMZ reports. Dustin Hood suffered a cardiac arrhythmia on the basketball court and died at the hospital shortly after. He's believed to have imbibed three large, 24-ounce cans of the "Mega Monster Energy" beverage, per the Inquistr. That means Hood may have ingested more than 700mg of caffeine in a 24-hour period. The Mayo Clinic reports that up to 400mg "appears to be safe for most healthy adults," while the American Academy of Pediatrics is even more conservative in its estimates for teens, saying child and adolescent caffeine consumption shouldn't exceed 100mg per day (and that kids shouldn't be drinking energy drinks at all, as they have "no therapeutic benefit").
The suit in Hood's case notes that the amount he drank would be equivalent to guzzling 14 12-ounce cans of Coke. The Hood suit notes that others have also suffered cardiac arrest after "acute consumption" of the beverage, which is described on the product's website as being "the ideal combo of the right ingredients in the right proportion to deliver the big bad buzz that only Monster can." The Inquistr points out it's not known if Hood had a preexisting heart condition or other malady, or an unusually strong reaction to caffeine itself, that may have made him vulnerable to the cardiac arrhythmia that killed him. (This isn't the first time Monster Energy drinks have been blamed for untimely deaths.)