Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nobel Team Rescinds
Invite to 3 Nations
Sep 2, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Nobel Team Rescinds Invite to 3 Nations
Invites to Russia, Belarus, Iran withdrawn after Swedish lawmakers said they'd boycott awards
- The Nobel Foundation on Saturday retracted its invitation for representatives of Russia, Belarus, and Iran to attend this year's Nobel Prize award ceremonies after the controversial decision "provoked strong reactions." Several Swedish lawmakers said Friday they would boycott this year's Nobel Prize award ceremonies in the...
Sweden Is Building
a City Out of Wood
Jul 22, 2023 10:29 AM CDT
Sweden Is Building a City Out of Wood
Advocates say fire risks are minimal and the construction has a better carbon footprint
- Swedish urban developer Atrium Ljungberg's upcoming project in Stockholm is an interesting foray into sustainability. In 2025, the company says it will begin construction of what it calls the "world's largest wooden city." CNN reports that Atrium Ljungberg envisions "Stockholm Wood City" as an activity...
Riders Fall From Roller Coaster
After Derailment in Sweden
Jun 25, 2023 10:52 AM CDT
Riders Fall From Roller Coaster After Derailment in Sweden
One person is killed at Stockholm amusement park, seven are hospitalized
- One person was killed and several others injured when a roller coaster derailed in Stockholm on Sunday, Swedish TV reported. Park officials told public broadcaster SVT that that one of the carriages on the Jetline roller coaster derailed and people fell to the ground at the Grona Lund amusement park....
Stockholm Heads Toward Grim
Record Not Seen Since 1934
Dec 14, 2020 8:36 AM CST
Stockholm Heads Toward Grim Record Not Seen Since 1934
Will Swedish capital go whole month of December without an hour of sunlight?
- "Do you think it's dark?" That was the question posed by Swedish meteorologist Ulrika Elvgren last week to her fellow citizens, and answered in the same tweet with her own answer: "Yes, it has been extra dark." The reason for her inquiry: Multiple parts of the...
Prosecutors: No Proof
Mom Imprisoned Her Son
Dec 3, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Prosecutors: No Proof Mom Imprisoned Her Son
Swedish authorities let elderly woman go, but they're still trying to figure out events of last 30 years
- An elderly mother suspected of keeping her 40-something son imprisoned in their Stockholm apartment for nearly 30 years had insisted to authorities that wasn't true. Now, she's been released from custody after Swedish prosecutors decided Wednesday to drop the case against her, saying they don't have enough...
Reports: Mom Kept Son
Locked Up for Nearly 30 Years
Dec 1, 2020 8:11 AM CST
Reports: Mom Kept Son Locked Up for Nearly 30 Years
'The mother is suspected of illegal deprivation of liberty,' Swedish police rep says
- A septuagenarian Swedish mother is denying she held her son hostage for nearly three decades after he was reportedly discovered, in bad shape, by a relative. Per local media reports cited by AFP , the 41-year-old man was discovered Sunday after his mother ended up in the hospital and an unidentified...
Castro's Crocodile Bites Arm
'on the Wrong Side of the Glass'
Aug 21, 2019 3:50 PM CDT
Castro's Crocodile Bites Arm 'on the Wrong Side of the Glass'
Victim was giving a speech at a Stockholm aquarium
- One of Fidel Castro's crocodiles bit a man who, police said, "had his arm on the wrong side of the security glass" at a Stockholm aquarium. The victim, who is in his 70s, had climbed up to make a speech next to the crocodile enclosure during a private...
A$AP Rocky Will Be Freed
Aug 2, 2019 1:20 PM CDT
A$AP Rocky Will Be Freed
But the rapper has to return for his verdict on Aug. 14
- Rapper A$AP Rocky and two other US suspects will be freed from jail until Aug. 14, when judges are expected to announce a verdict in the assault case against them , a Swedish court announced Friday. It wasn't immediately clear from the decision by the Stockholm District Court whether the...
Jul 30, 2019 6:32 AM CDT
Outcry Dismissed, Sweden Puts A$AP Rocky on Trial
Rapper's assault trial has started in Stockholm despite Trump's efforts to free him
- It's been a long month for A$AP Rocky, detained by Swedish officials after allegedly attacking someone in a street fight at the end of June, and on Tuesday, the next phase of his overseas experience began. The 30-year-old American rapper, real name Rakim Mayers, pleaded not guilty at the...
A$AP Rocky Stuck
Despite Trump's Offer
Jul 25, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
A$AP Rocky Stuck Despite Trump's Offer
Rapper will remain in Sweden for assault trial
- President Trump's offer of help for A$AP Rocky wasn't enough. On Thursday Swedish prosecutors said the 30-year-old rapper will remain in custody in Sweden until his trial on an assault charge begins Tuesday, per NBC News . Rocky, real name Rakim Mayers, and two members of his entourage are...
Sweden: Attacker Was
'Known to Authorities'
Apr 8, 2017 8:55 AM CDT
Sweden: Attacker Was 'Known to Authorities'
39-year-old Uzbek man is in custody
- The man accused of killing four people with a hijacked beer truck in Stockholm Friday is a 39-year-old from Uzbekistan who was a "marginal character" already known to authorities, officials in Sweden say. Police say they found a "suspect device" in the vehicle and they haven't ruled...
Sweden 'Attacked,' PM Says
After Truck Slams Into Store
Apr 7, 2017 9:53 AM CDT
Sweden 'Attacked,' PM Says After Truck Slams Into Store
At least 3 dead after Stockholm incident
- A truck crashed into an upscale department store in central Stockholm on Friday, and Swedish police confirm at least three people have died, per the
. People in the downtown area are fleeing the scene in panic, the AP reports. Swedish broadcaster SVT says shots have been fired at the...
Mar 29, 2017 9:51 AM CDT
Bob Dylan Finally Gets Around to His Nobel
He'll stop by Stockholm to pick up that Literature prize he won months ago
- Bob Dylan will be knockin' on the Swedish Academy's door this weekend to finally pick up his Nobel Prize in Literature.
reports that the singer-songwriter, who famously didn't reply right away upon learning he'd won the prize in October—and who sent singer Patti Smith...
Jul 29, 2016 3:44 PM CDT
Bikini-Clad Cop Makes Arrest While Sunbathing
Mikaela Kellner says she would have done the same even naked
- She was off duty and wearing a bikini but that didn't stop Swedish police officer Mikaela Kellner from catching a suspected thief, the AP reports. A photo of Kellner pinning the suspect to the ground was trending on social media in Sweden this week. "My first intervention while...
World's 10 Most
Jul 29, 2016 2:59 PM CDT
World's 10 Most Livable Cities
Tough break, America
- Maybe Donald Trump is … right?
just released its annual list of the 25 most livable cities in the world, and the first American city (Honolulu) doesn't even show up until number 23. Skift reports the rankings are based on things like architecture, safety, and public transportation. American...
for First Time
in 30 Years
Jun 7, 2016 3:33 AM CDT
ABBA Performs for First Time in 30 Years
Band sang part of a song together Sunday in Stockholm
- Lucky guests to a private party in Stockholm on Sunday witnessed what a guitarist calls "a piece of music history." Swedish band ABBA performed together for the first time in decades, marking 50 years to the day that band members Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson first met,...
One Country Is Rapidly on
Its Way to Losing Its Cash
Oct 17, 2015 11:19 AM CDT
One Country Is Rapidly on Its Way to Losing Its Cash
Sweden is on track thanks to its adoption of IT and toughness on crime
- There have been discussions of all financial transactions going digital for years, but only recently has it started to look like an eventual reality. Though CNN Money reported in June that Denmark looked to be closest to becoming cashless, alongside Sweden and Norway, researchers at the KTH Royal Institute of...
Office Inserting Chips
in Workers' Skin
Feb 1, 2015 2:45 PM CST
Office Inserting Chips in Workers' Skin
Swedish office block offers employees high-tech access
- Some Swedish workers can now enter their building without a key and make purchases at the office cafe sans card—with a chip implanted in their hand, the BBC reports. Epicenter, a new Swedish office block, is offering employees a miniscule RFID (radio-frequency identification) chip to provide various kinds of...
Host 2022 Olympics?
Cities Say No Thanks
May 28, 2014 11:47 AM CDT
Host 2022 Olympics? Cities Say No Thanks
Costs make gig increasingly unappealing
- The race is on for the 2022 Winter Olympics—the race to get out of hosting, that is. Four cities that were considering hosting, including two finalists for the job, have dropped out of the running. Four finalists remain, but only two of those bids look robust. Cities just don'...
May 14, 2014 7:40 AM CDT
Oscar-Winning Director Killed Himself, Says Brother
'Searching for Sugar Man' filmmaker reportedly suffered from depression
- The sudden death of acclaimed director Malik Bendjelloul may be a case of suicide. Bendjelloul's brother has told a Swedish newspaper that the 36-year-old killed himself, explaining that he had struggled with depression for a short period of time. Bendjelloul was found dead in Stockholm yesterday. The filmmaker rose...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.