X

A$AP Rocky Stuck Despite Trump's Offer

Rapper will remain in Sweden for assault trial
By Arden Dier,  Newser Staff
Posted Jul 25, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
ASAP Rocky performs at Cyndi Lauper's 8th Annual "Home for the Holidays" benefit concert at the Beacon Theatre on Dec. 8, 2018, in New York.   (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP)

(Newser) – President Trump's offer of help for A$AP Rocky wasn't enough. On Thursday Swedish prosecutors said the 30-year-old rapper will remain in custody in Sweden until his trial on an assault charge begins Tuesday, per NBC News. Rocky, real name Rakim Mayers, and two members of his entourage are accused of kicking and beating a man with a glass bottle in a June 30 brawl in Stockholm, where the Grammy-nominated artist had performed at a hip-hop festival. Rocky is specifically accused of throwing the man to the ground, though his lawyer says the men only acted in self-defense after "they begged and pleaded to be left alone."

Swedish public prosecutor Daniel Suneson disputed that claim, reports CNN. "I have had access to a greater amount of material than that which has previously been available on the internet," he said. "In addition to video material, the injured party's statements have been supported by witness statements." The decision to have Rocky remain in custody—he was detained July 3—came days after the Swedish prosecution authority said it would not cave to "outside pressure" in the case. Celebrities including Kanye West, Kim Kardashian, and Justin Bieber have called for Rocky's release. President Trump even offered to "personally vouch" for Rocky's bail—though CNN notes "the bail system does not exist in Sweden." (Read more Sweden stories.)

My Take on This Story
Show results  |  
26%
7%
4%
46%
3%
15%